I have no issues with going out by myself, it is good to unwind and enjoy the solitude. If my course is busy I will either play multiple shots at times, or I will slow my walk down between shots so that I don't push the group in front - I am out there to enjoy the time, not rush around the course as quick as I can

Playing as a single doesn't happen all that much these days though, as if I decide to head out for a round, a lot of the time Jen will come with me and play as well
Last Sunday I went out whilst Jen was playing her singles matchplay round, played through a couple groups on the front 9 (a group of beginners from my club and a pair who were visiting who declined my offer to join up with them) and caught up to a pair on the 10th who offered to let me play through but we ended up joining up as they were visitors who weren't sure where they were going, so I gave them some help round the back 9 and we had a good time

I play alone a lot, but I live right on my home course and go out for mini rounds of 5 or 6 holes a lot. It's definitely a great way to end the day around dusk during the summer and a great way to start the day too. Sometimes it's a good way to take a break at lunch during this season of working at home. I prefer to have a full round and some company, but I would never play as much as I want to if I didn't play by myself.

Are you guys/gals comfortable playing alone? I never have been able to. But I need to start or I’m not going to get any better. My regular golfing buddy has a completely opposite schedule as me and we can only play once a month. I can talk my brother or dad into a round a month. Everyone else I play with is a couple times a year.

I’m just uncomfortable playing alone. Don’t know why but I am. I’m a morning person so I should just go out early and get it done before work. But for some reason there’s a little fear that keeps me from not doing it. I’m not so bad it’s embarrassing. I can play with single digit handicaps and not slow them down

I need to get over it because I’m not getting my friends out more frequently. And I want to play a couple times a week. My goal this year is to break 90 regularly and whatever that handicap ends up being improving on it every couple of months. With the 2-3 year goal of joining the breaking 80 thread.

Anyone else have this fear?

I enjoy playing alone, however because of so many people out of work my home course is packed even during the week, so I never get the opportunity. Sure, I play most of my rounds with other folks, but enjoy those rounds where I am a soloist, and sometimes actually prefer them.

Just so you know, when Josh who posted this thread said "Playing Alone" what he had in mind is booking a tee time as a single as opposed to with some buddies. [See posts #1, 45, 53] Both topics are worth discussing.

Last edited:
I've had enough bad experiences playing with randos that I avoid it. It's a gamble whether or not it will be an enjoyable time, and life is too short to not have an enjoyable time when I go out to play golf. A few have been great, but there have also been some that I absolutely couldn't wait for the round to be over. When I play alone, at least the only a**hole I have to worry about is me! :ROFLMAO:

For me, playing with friends > playing alone >>> getting paired with randos.

I can't remember the last time I got paired with a true arsehole. I'm sure it has happened, but it has been a while. Most of the people I get paired up with are cool.

I prefer to play alone. All my PBs have come when alone. And by alone, I mean the whole course. I play my absolute best when it is "hit ball, find ball, hit ball". Going like this a 90 minute round is the norm.

Back