Playing golf with a chipper - cool or not cool?

Carolina Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm in the market for a sand wedge and was interested in the Cleveland Smart Sole S Wedge. Well, right along with it in these ads is the Cleveland Smart Sole C Wedge. It made me think, maybe I need both of them, lol. Years ago, I would have not bought one as the shaming by my golf buddies, would not have been worth it. Now, that I am older, I don't care what they think. It seems like it would be a great club for the dreaded 20-30 yard chip into the green. Thoughts? Cool or not cool? Cleveland seems to be getting a lot of respect lately. Just curious what you guys think.

Last edited:
What's cool is getting the ball in the hole. If it helps you do that then it must be pretty cool.

Slightly cooler than headcovers on irons. :)

Way cooler than iron covers.

It’s about getting the ball in the hole in the least strokes. If the C club helps you, then I say go for it. They’re surprisingly fun, and I enjoyed reviewing them more than I expected.

Who cares what’s cool...

The coolest thing is shooting low scores

I rocked one for a while. I caught some crap for it, but it was very effective at getting the ball closer to the hole.

I am not one to worry what clubs other people have in bag. To each his own.

My only club issue is too make sure I have the right clubs in my own bag, that will help me shoot the lowest score possible.

❄☃☄ Cool.

Play what you want! CPG games one!

You shouldn’t care what anyone thinks about the clubs you’re using. Just knock some close or in the hole with the chipper.

If my life becomes so mundane that judging someone's choice of clubs (or iron covers, or ball retriever, or golf attire...) seems like a good idea, please shoot me.

Enjoying the game is cool. Whatever helps you do that is perfectly fine.

I've used a chipper for many years, am pretty good around the green with it.

Play whatever you want and what works for you. @rgoodsell ìs deadly with one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I was going to bring up the Square Strike Wedge. I have a friend that uses it, really helped his chipping. I use more of the Toe Down method when its wet to too tight a lie

If a chipper improves your game, by all means use it and who cares what others think.
I've got an Adams chipper that I use on occasion, but I'm not good enough with it to permanently replace another club in my bag.

I’m gonna say iron covers are the coolest.

This is a close second in coolnessity....you get extra points if you pick the ball out of the hole with a rubber bit on the bottom of your putter.

I don’t see them often but if it helped lower my score I would. I need to try one out too

I put the putter in my hand as soon as possible. I'm strong with pitches. Delicate chips are a weakness. So bump and run and texas wedge are my go to's. If it works, use it.

Play what makes the game fun and easy. The game is hard enough and no need to make it harder

If you want it, get it. Don't let others sway your decision because it might not be cool to them.

I actually agree with the majority.
If you like a certain chipper, and you have an empty slot in your bag, why not play it?

If you want it, get it. Don't let others sway your decision because it might not be cool to them.
Agreed! If it is a legal club and it boosts your enjoyment of the game....do it.

Back