Playing golf with a chipper - cool or not cool?

To each their own, but I think a player whose skill level would dictate the use of a chipper would likely also benefit from replacing their 5 and 6 iron with hybrids, and I think chipping with 6 iron hybrid is just as effective as using a chipper. So instead of bagging a chipper replace your long irons with hybrids and use them to chip as well.

I know lots of good ball strikers who shoot 78 because they rarely get the ball up and down. A good ball striker leaves himself/herself chip shots rather than short siding greens.
In other words, a scratch tournament is filled with good ball strikers, but the players who finish top 5 get it up and down, which means striking chip and run shots next to the hole all day long.
One of the primary scoring problems players suffer from is club selection for playing chip and run shots. These days nearly every player wants to play all green side shots with a wedge of some sort, and those wedges are not nearly as consistently effective as lower lofted clubs. So, my guess is that a chipper club would help players of all skill levels, from 0 to high handicap, shoot lower scores.

Last edited:
4 pages of a chipper thread and no @bobcat yet ?

I'm stubborn, 5 years ago I would've said I'm not taking out my 3-4-5 iron and replacing them with hybrids, 2 years ago I did and it's the best thing I could've done. In the last 6 months I've been really thinking hard about the cleveland smart sole wedges, now they've come out with the 4's and I actually like the looks of them. I even went as far as to selling my traditional wedges that were gamed in my bag, so now I literally have no wedges in my bag.. Today, I'm buying the cleveland smart sole 4's, C-G & S. And to be honest I feel like this is the second best golf decision I've made in a long time. I'm buying them, I'm rolling with them regardless what anyone says. I'm tired, I'm growing older and that doesn't mean my game has to suffer. I have great hopes these smart soles help as much as the hybrids have.

Apparently, it is way cooler than bagging a TaylorMade Truss putter. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Seriously, as others have said, if it helps you get in the hole in fewer strokes, don’t even give it a second thought.

I love my new Cleveland chipper. That is a deadly accurate club out to 100 yards. I never dreamed i would use it for shots like that but i don't even hesitate to pull it. The ball is getting on the green for me so i can putt which is a whole other issue right now but no short fat chip shots!

Cool if it saves you strokes

Yeah. I'm liking the smart sole 2's from Cleveland... as well as their CBX 2's. They're supposed to be almost as forgiving as the smart sole 2's. There's so much I want but can't have!:eek:

If by 'cool' you mean Paul Newman or Fred Couples cool, probably not.

OTOH, if you mean 'is it OK cool', as long as the club is legal.

There's nothing on the scorecard that asks what club you used.

What's cool is scoring better. Beyond that, who cares what anybody else thinks about what's in your bag?

If anybody said anything to me about my choice of clubs, I'd tell them that if they wanted to give me a full ride sponsorship deal, I'd be happy to bag whatever they want - until then, stfu and worry about what's in your own bag.

If it makes your scores lower and enjoy the game more I say go for it

20200219_160623.jpg

I have 2 buddies in Texas that could benefit tremendously by using a chipper. Despite years of frustration, and constant lessons from myself and others, they just DON'T get it...

I have another buddy in Phoenix we call "Chuttmeister" - unless he has to chip over a bunker, you can bet that putter is out!

I'd enthusiastically support all 3 of these guys gaming a chipper!

Play with that you enjoy! I have a friend who uses a chipper and is great with it

That distance is a sore spot for me. If it helped me solidify that distance I’d be all for it.

Back