Playing in the Rain

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you a mudder? What tips do you have for others that hate playing in the rain?

I'm a mudder.

Tips:
1) walking with a push cart/umbrella setup is far superior to a power cart.
2) rather than trying to keep everything dry, learn to play in rain gloves
3) have a water proof bag
4) being bothered by rain is a choice. Choose not to be.

nope. too many good weather days in orlando to slog through the rain. i just go home and try again another day.

• Admin
I'm a mudder.

Tips:
1) walking with a push cart/umbrella setup is far superior to a power cart.
2) rather than trying to keep everything dry, learn to play in rain gloves
3) have a water proof bag

Why would walking with push cart be better than power cart with a roof and windshield?

I try to stay away from playing in the rain if I can. A little mist or light rain isn't the worst but I'll usually rent a cart if that's the case. My biggest gripe about plying in rain is my glasses getting wet and tough to see out of so a hat is necessary. Otherwise rain gloves are a must.

No CPO. By standing under the umbrella you stay dry until the moment it’s your turn to hit. Also, you can keep towels and gloves under the umbrella so they stay dry.

If you are riding, a Drizzle Stick makes more sense to me and is easier to access clubs with than the hoods that bags typically come with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a mudder. My mothers a mudder. No real tips besides just embracing the mindset. It's raining and you are going to get wet. You either want to continue playing or you don't and mentally check out.

1. Learn to be comfortable in rain gear. For example, I find rain pants over long underwear or first layer bottoms is a lot more comfortable / less bulky than rain pants over slacks.

2. Accept that you are going to get wet. It’s not a big deal. Who stays home because they don’t want sun?

3. I agree with Army about the push cart and umbrella.

4. Bring extra balls and probably less expensive ones than you normally play. If the ground is really soft you are going to have balls plug.

No CPO. By standing under the umbrella you stay dry until the moment it’s your turn to hit. Also, you can keep towels and gloves under the umbrella so they stay dry.

Well assuming its not CPO when it starts raining, I would think the cart would be as good, right? Roof, windshield, obviously can keep towels and gloves in compartments to stay dry.

Being prepared is the biggest thing. Good rain gear, bucket hat, rain glove and dry shoes is huge. Don’t over swing. Just make good contact. Have played a dozen rounds or more this year in the rain. If you hear thunder, get the heck off the course and in the trees is the worst place to hide or ride it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe it’s a regional thing but around here the ground is saturated so it’s just about always CPO during the rain season.

I'm a mudder.

haha...but that's ridiculous. that's like saying choose not to be bothered by a rash f poison ivy. This isn't football. I dont mind the occasional passing showers but playing when outright raining significantly? no thanks. I'll choose not to let it bother me cause I wont be in it :)

Why would walking with push cart be better than power cart with a roof and windshield?
Mainly CPO is the reason. We are pretty much CPO from November through the end of April.

Also for whatever reason I can stay remarkably dry under my umbrella, but when riding a cart i need to suit up or i get wet sitting in water.

haha...but that's ridiculous. that's like saying choose not to be bothered by a rash f poison ivy. This isn't football. I dont mind the occasional passing showers but playing when outright raining significantly? no thanks. I'll choose not to let it bother me cause I wont be in it :)
Comparing being wet to poison ivy? Lol this is the sort of losing mentality I'm talking about.
You shower in water all the time right? So its not an inherently bad thing. Therefore you can choose to not be bothered by it.

Mainly CPO is the reason. We are pretty much CPO from November through the end of April.

Also for whatever reason I can stay remarkably dry under my umbrella, but when riding a cart i need to suit up or i get wet sitting in water.

Okay that makes sense

Embrace the mud. Greens get soft, and you can start firing darts!

Pack an extra towel or two, and I tend to hook a towel on my belt for cleaning clubs/balls.

Have a good umbrella, and a good holder if you are walking.
If you are riding. Prepare to have a wet backside for most of the day.

I don't have a gameplan for rain. It doesn't really rain here unless JB comes to town. ?

Kidding. I have rain gear, a drizzle stick and rain gloves for those very few rounds a year I play in rain. And I've changed my grips to something a little more rain friendly. I'll also try to shallow my swing a bit to keep from digging huge mud holes on the course. Not much... just try to pick it clean rather than drive the clubhead down in to the ball.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I tend to play fairly well in the rain. I adopt the mindset that I am going to get wet no matter what I do. I try to keep my grips as dry as possible and I am a huge fan of rain gloves.

If it is raining then I won't head to the course. I have played in the morning after heavy rains the night before and doesn't bother me. Just have to know that every distance has to be carry distance.

I won’t start a round in the rain but if it starts later I’ll continue to play as long as it’s not more than a “light” rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t mind playing in light rain as long as I am in a cart and with a drizzle stick.

I don't play in heavy/medium rain - it just gets too slippery and conditions are ripe for a fall or slip which could put me out of commission for a while.

I do, however, play when its misty or a slight drizzle, and besides a bag club cover, I find rain gloves to be invaluable.

I think the best thing you can do is just double check everything and always be prepared.

Rain gear, rain hat, umbrella, waterproof shoes, EXTRA towels, multiple gloves (or rain gloves) and make sure you have your bag cover cause not all carts have the bag covers.

I also try to keep my putter in the seat area to keep it dry and to prevent getting my putter cover soaked by pulling it on and off each time.

I think the best thing you can do is just double check everything and always be prepared.

Rain gear, rain hat, umbrella, waterproof shoes, EXTRA towels, multiple gloves (or rain gloves) and make sure you have your bag cover cause not all carts have the bag covers.

I also try to keep my putter in the seat area to keep it dry and to prevent getting my putter cover soaked by pulling it on and off each time.

Wouldn’t puttet be the one club where it getting wet wouldn’t impact performance?

Back