Playing in the Rain

It almost never rains in SoCal. So unless it’s just a light drizzle and I am already out there there’s no need to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn’t puttet be the one club where it getting wet wouldn’t impact performance?

That doesn’t mean I want it getting soaked lol plus it allows me to keep the headcover dry and in my bag for the round.

Yep, I’ll play in the wet. Doesn’t bother me. I just make sure to have appropriate clothing for inclement weather in my bag at all times.

Top items for me:

- Rain gloves. These are an enormous help for confidence and comfort.
- Pack an extra towel.
- Comfortable rain gear that doesn’t impede swing. I prefer the short sleeve rain shirts.
- Waterproof shoes with proper cleats rather than spikeless.
- Umbrella.

I also prefer to walk. I’ve experienced it both ways, but find my comfort is greatly improved when pushing a cart with an umbrella holder.

Typically will not start a round if it’s raining but will finish.

Normal rain gear for me—although I need to explore the drizzle stick idea as I always just used my bag cover.

Typically will not start a round if it’s raining but will finish.

Normal rain gear for me—although I need to explore the drizzle stick idea as I always just used my bag cover.

tell me more about this drizzle stick.

tell me more about this drizzle stick.

Little umbrella for your clubs— flexes and allows for easy access to your clubs while riding.

Little umbrella for your clubs— flexes and allows for easy access to your clubs while riding.

okay yeah I have seen those. Our carts have the hood on them, enough to get me off the course haha.

okay yeah I have seen those. Our carts have the hood on them, enough to get me off the course haha.

Haha most courses around here have them as well. There are a few that I frequent though that do not.

The bag hood is just so cumbersome...

I’ll play in the rain if I have to. It’s not my preference though. I’d rather not.
Good waterproof gear is a must, and I agree with @ArmyGolf, walking is better than a cart. I can get closer to my ball, I tend to stay more dry where it matters.

Mudder here through and through. I prefer it over summer golf. Push cart with umbrella and towel clipped under the umbrella to dry my hands. Rain gloves, two pairs to change if needed after 9. Towel for the cart grips.

Keep your feet dry - makes a world of difference. Optionally, gore tex everything but that can get pricey. But once you have a set, rain is not an issue at all. In fact, I get more wet from sweat in the summer than I do playing in the rain.

I will play in any weather. I feel like in KY you can kind of get stuck in the same weather pattern for long periods of time. Last year we had the wettest August and September in recorded history in Louisville which was about 22" of rain. This year I would be surprised if it has rained over 1" total since August 1 and it hasn't been below 90 for a high more than 4 or 5 days total. You either learn to play in all weather or you get stuck with no golf for long stretches at a time.

Haha most courses around here have them as well. There are a few that I frequent though that do not.

The bag hood is just so cumbersome...

agreed. It’s usually something I throw away honestly.

I'm a mudder.

Tips:
1) walking with a push cart/umbrella setup is far superior to a power cart.
2) rather than trying to keep everything dry, learn to play in rain gloves
3) have a water proof bag
4) being bothered by rain is a choice. Choose not to be.

I concur! Nothing makes your opponent more miserable than seeing you play good with a smile on your face in the rain or terrible conditions. I don't own any rain gear other than my FJ rain gloves.

Comparing being wet to poison ivy? Lol this is the sort of losing mentality I'm talking about.
You shower in water all the time right? So its not an inherently bad thing. Therefore you can choose to not be bothered by it.
I don't know where or how a losing mentality got into any this. ??
I never said I couldn't play in the rain and if I had to Id be just fine. I only say I dont want to and wont unless I had no choice. Ive spent many many days of my life doing many things in the rain. Firstly Ive worked outdoors so I been in the rain thousands of times for work , Ive fished in the rain a million times...in fact purposely gone in the rain for the best fishing, sit through jets games in the rain (whenever it rained) for 35 years. Been camping in the rain. etc,etc the list goes on.

But doing any these things including golf requires some extra work id rather not bother with doing just for golf. it simply isnt pleasant in the rain and sort of not what my golf is about. trying to keep everything dry, not being so comfortable, ugly skies and scenery, etc, etc. . None of this has to do with any losing mentality. Only that its not my idea of enjoying one of my recreations which we call golf.

Last edited:
Not any motr now that I can play any day I want to. When I was still working and could only play weekends, I would play in the rain if I had to. Now will only do it for a few holes to get back close to the clubhouse if I get surprised by a shower. Not even heading out any more if the chance of rain are greater than 50%.

I have no problems playing in the rain as long as its not too heavy and I'm prepared for it. I just wish there was a set of rain gear that didn't make me feel like I was being cooked in a microwave while I have it on.

I don’t mind playing in a light rain. When it’s raining buckets and I can’t see because my glasses are fogged it can be a grind. But that is a built in excuse for missing a few shots

Last edited:
Making trips to go far away...You play...Sometimes the weather sucks...You play...If you can find a pair of cotton gloves, they are the best. They just stick to the club. Bring some zip lock baggies to keep your stuff dry in your bag. Umbrellas work when its just rain. If there is some wind forgetaboutit...Walking is best. If you know for sure it is gonna be a wet day. tight long sleeve mock turtle under a Galvin Green rainsuit. Water proof shoes with real spikes. A goretex hat. I like a bucket hat. ziplock baggie for scorecard pencil. I carry my bag. It means my clubs are always where I am. Less walking. In extreme conditions I have foregone head covers. Carried only odd number irons. Predominantly the worse the conditions the better because my odds increase of kickin your arse...

Making trips to go far away...You play...Sometimes the weather sucks...You play...If you can find a pair of cotton gloves, they are the best. They just stick to the club. Bring some zip lock baggies to keep your stuff dry in your bag. Umbrellas work when its just rain. If there is some wind forgetaboutit...Walking is best. If you know for sure it is gonna be a wet day. tight long sleeve mock turtle under a Galvin Green rainsuit. Water proof shoes with real spikes. A goretex hat. I like a bucket hat. ziplock baggie for scorecard pencil. I carry my bag. It means my clubs are always where I am. Less walking. In extreme conditions I have foregone head covers. Carried only odd number irons. Predominantly the worse the conditions the better because my odds increase of kickin your arse...

I asked above and I will ask here again. Why is walking better than having a roof and a windshield?

If I had weekly/daily tee times that were set in advance I guess I may be more inclined to play in the rain, but since most of my rounds are spur of the moment (due to work and family obligations) I tend to only play in clear weather. I would say I play one or two rounds a year with rain occurring during the round, and even then it is usually just a drizzle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inwont go out if it’s already a steady rain hit if it starts up in the round, then ya I’m playing as long as it’s safe.

Tip wise, club up and swing smooth, possibly focus on a nice 3/4 swing in order to prioritize contact to keep from hitting fat

I don't like playing in the rain. Everything becomes slippery and soaked. I experienced last week in Men's Club play. We all quit after 7 holes.

I'd rather not play in the rain, but I will. I always have my rain gloves and club cover in the bag and usually my rain jacket since I rarely carry anymore (push cart or power cart). Try not to think about it. Turn your hat around like Jim Furyk if dripping water is distracting while you're putting. Make sure that you don't hit it fat if the ground is saturated.

I will never forget playing an outing in a downpour where we literally could not get any wetter so we decided to keep going and just have fun out there.

I asked above and I will ask here again. Why is walking better than having a roof and a windshield?
One of the biggest reasons is that when you walk you can typically park your push cart or drop your bag right next to your ball. Do most of your pre shot prep while still under your little personal dry bubble and then zip out and play your shot and get right back under your umbrella. Even on dry days they often won't allow golf carts within 30-40 yards or so of the greens, even worse when the turf is soggy and it's CPO everywhere.

Back