Playing in the Rain

I won't offer any advice as so many good tips have already been given. Playing in the rain is one of my favorite things. We don't get much in the way of rain here, but when we do, I really embrace it. I love that everyone else is too afraid to even get in their cars to drive to the course - leaving me with a wide open track, and a world to myself.

OK I lied. Here's a tip: Not sure if this was mentioned but rain pants are a must. I know so many guys who think they can get away with just a shirt or a jacket. Why would you want your legs and socks to get soaked? Rain pants with vents (for warmer climates) will save you any uncomfortableness

image1-01-copy.jpg

I won't offer any advice as so many good tips have already been given. Playing in the rain is one of my favorite things. We don't get much in the way of rain here, but when we do, I really embrace it. I love that everyone else is too afraid to even get in their cars to drive to the course - leaving me with a wide open track, and a world to myself.

Completely forgot about that part. The course is a lot quieter and I get to enjoy the round with pretty much no one around. It becomes a very peaceful round.

It's raining NOW and all I want to do after reading these posts is go play.

I would say the number 1 thing for me is to just get wet and get it over with. I've found that trying too hard to stay dry makes me lose focus on actually trying to golf. Just get yourself out in the rain and get it over with.

I don't mind it if it's just a light rain. I just play a lot of punch shots. I won't golf in a downpour... or wind and rain.... especially if it's cold + wind + rain. Cold is another story. I won't play in cold. I'd rather have rain than cold and clear.

My bad back usually has me avoiding wet weather. But generally, I've always played well in the rain.

No tips other than a good pair of rain gloves. I'll use an umbrella for the worst of it but overall, I just embrace getting wet.

I tend to slow down and swing well within myself. I'll significantly narrow my focus and therefore my target and resultingly, my dispersion.

I've tried to simulate the approach for any other time, but I can't. When it rains, things just tend to fall into place. ?‍♂️

Are you a mudder? What tips do you have for others that hate playing in the rain?

Good rain gear. Extra socks. Good rain gloves. A dorky rain hat that keeps rain off your neck.

I've had a lot of fun playing in some miserable weather by following the "there's no bad weather, only bad clothing choices" rule of outdoor activity.

Yes, good rain gear and rain gloves

Where I live we get a lot of drizzle, not so much rain. When it does rain, often it's for like 5 minutes and then it's back to drizzle. I really don't mind playing in the drizzle. I have rain gear for those times.

OK I lied. Here's a tip: Not sure if this was mentioned but rain pants are a must. I know so many guys who think they can get away with just a shirt or a jacket. Why would you want your legs and socks to get soaked? Rain pants with vents (for warmer climates) will save you any uncomfortableness

image1-01-copy.jpg

SoCal gets rain a hand full of times every other year.... you’re not a mudder.... just saying... :D;);)

I'm a mudder.

Tips:
1) walking with a push cart/umbrella setup is far superior to a power cart.
2) rather than trying to keep everything dry, learn to play in rain gloves
3) have a water proof bag
4) being bothered by rain is a choice. Choose not to be.
Literally. Every. Word. (y)

I'm a mudder.

Tips:
1) walking with a push cart/umbrella setup is far superior to a power cart.
2) rather than trying to keep everything dry, learn to play in rain gloves
3) have a water proof bag
4) being bothered by rain is a choice. Choose not to be.
All of these.

ESPECIALLY #4. It’s why I make my kids practice in the rain a couple times a year.

Are you a mudder? What tips do you have for others that hate playing in the rain?
I play in the rain, and do not mind it, but my wedges suffer, since any fat shot (which is a weakness of my game) go really really really poorly.

Reviving this old chestnut
Getting a chance to play this week with a fun group (it won’t be my only chance at least)
But the weather is maaaaybe going to be ok. Most likely rain with a high of 55.
I’m 50/50 on saying yes. ( once I say yes I never back out unless emergency) . But is it worth waiting a few more weeks (or month with this group)
What would the group do

Reviving this old chestnut
Getting a chance to play this week with a fun group (it won’t be my only chance at least)
But the weather is maaaaybe going to be ok. Most likely rain with a high of 55.
I’m 50/50 on saying yes. ( once I say yes I never back out unless emergency) . But is it worth waiting a few more weeks (or month with this group)
What would the group do
I’d say if you are comfortable with a bit of rain and cold do it. Just have a towel ready in the car and have some good rain gear ready plus some dry shoes in the trunk along with something to put the muddy shoes in.

——

On this topic- So I have tournament next weekend which will come after three days of heavy rain in the area. It will be warm and likely sunny but the course will likely be absolutely saturated. How’s the best way to go about this? Wedges seem dangerous as likely the ground will be a pond. Obviously par threes will be vital. Should I try to lean on my irons? Of course the obvious is put yourself in good places off the tee.

I’d say if you are comfortable with a bit of rain and cold do it. Just have a towel ready in the car and have some good rain gear ready plus some dry shoes in the trunk along with something to put the muddy shoes in.

——

On this topic- So I have tournament next weekend which will come after three days of heavy rain in the area. It will be warm and likely sunny but the course will likely be absolutely saturated. How’s the best way to go about this? Wedges seem dangerous as likely the ground will be a pond. Obviously par threes will be vital. Should I try to lean on my irons? Of course the obvious is put yourself in good places off the tee.
I always think think of the extra shoes but NEVER think of something for the muddy ones. Even now if you hadn’t mentioned it I would’ve forgotten again lol.

Hmm as far as strategy:
For me in the rain: I avoid woods off the fairways. Oddly enough, I think I use the wedges more (170 2 wedges on a wet day). But attempting a flop shot in the muck…eek

Pull out the rain gear and test if it’s any good. Minus any lightning, I love playing in the rain. Creativity comes out, and all you’re worried about is not falling down and not taking mud to the face.

Pull out the rain gear and test if it’s any good. Minus any lightning, I love playing in the rain. Creativity comes out, and all you’re worried about is not falling down and not taking mud to the face.
It does sound like much less thinking put that way…

It does sound like much less thinking put that way…
I did it at my course one day where there wasn’t any lightning on radar, it was just one of those light rain all day things. Perfect. Suited up, did everything I could to just not slip or hurt myself.

Went driver 5w into a hole that’s usually driver wedge. Had to hit a low chaser that also split two bunkers and pulled it off to the back of the green. Those are shots you just don’t practice but I mean what else is there to do?

My courses are usually mud holes. Any added water is a mess. I will play in the rain if its at a nice place

Back