Playing in the wind.

I enjoy the challenge and just accept it for what it is. My scores will suffer, but it is just a harder situation, like going back a tee box. That is the fun of golf. The same course can change difficulty in an instant from tee box location, pin placement, and weather.

I play at a windy course. I have hit 7 iron from 100 yards and 9 iron from 170. I enjoy the challenge. I am good at flighting the ball down so that definitely helps.

On any given day at my course everyone has to play in the same wind so if you embrace it I feel that attitude helps.

I think it’s fun… makes me play different shots than usual. I look at playing on a windy day the same way I look at playing the ball down: bad lies (or wind gusts) are part of the game and should be embraced.

I lived in Corpus Christi for a few years, and being on the coast of the Gulf, its also 15-20mph winds daily. Its frustrating but yea you have to just accept it and take it on as part of the challenge. Of course I'd prefer playing with little to no wind, but, its just an element of golf, so Im okay with it.

I don't mind wind as long as it's not a stupid amount. I just play a lower ball flight, add or subtract clubs and try to adjust for the sideways factor.
Where it bothers me the most is putting, especially if it's gusting winds. Trying to stay balanced over the ball and adjusting for the wind breaks to the hole is my nemesis.
But, wind won't stop me from playing. I played 9 holes in Nevada at Coyote Springs one time and the wind was gusting to 53 mph. It was crazy when you bombed a drive into the wind and only get 75-100 yards. But then down wind the ball carried forever. I wanted to finish the whole 18 but the group I was with all bailed at 9, so I had to since I was not the driver.

Oh good lord I HATE the wind. Really strong winds that is. It won't stop me from playing, but man I just don't like it. There have been nights that I skipped playing because it was so bad but thankfully that isn't a normal occurrence.

I enjoy the challenge and just accept it for what it is. My scores will suffer, but it is just a harder situation, like going back a tee box. That is the fun of golf. The same course can change difficulty in an instant from tee box location, pin placement, and weather.
Exactly how I feel. I know golfers who sabotage themselves over just about anything not being perfect. Kills any chance they had to play well or enjoy their day. Much better to embrace the challenges golf hits us with. I posted a thread asking who would play in 100 yard winds a few years ago, the responses were mixed. https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/index.php?threads/100-yard-winds-would-you-play.92179/

I am not crazy about playing in the wind if it is over 10-15mph. We don't usually get high winds so when we do I don't for the most part enjoy playing in it. It is challenging though so at times I enjoy the contest between me, the wind and the course. If I had to play in it all the time I would think it would become a normal occurrence.

I am usually good to 20mph, but really detest it after that. It does make you learn some adjustability in your game though.

It definitely places emphasis on the mental game - not only knowing how different winds affect a golf ball, but knowing how to play the shots required. Wind will also make you become a better shot-maker if you hope to score.

One other thing that is kinda fun is you use more of your bag as you try to adjust. So more clubs are getting dirty.

Anything up to 25 is ok and I don't mind the challenge. If it's more than that, I'll find something else to do.

I love thinking and the wind makes me think. Nothing like a 150 yard 5 iron or a 180 yard 9 iron

My home course is a coastal course, so it can get very windy, especially in the afternoons. I must admit, I like playing in the wind. Adds another dimension to the course. I feel I’m a pretty good wind player.

We were in the 15-20 range with gusts 25-30. I let it get in my head. I spent too much time thinking.

I won't avoid playing because of it, but wind is by far my least favorite "element" to play in. It just brings an extra level of difficultly and often times the need of good fortune.

I take extra consideration and thought prior to each shot. I try and let the wind "be my friend" as much as possible. Then hit the shot I planned and hope I don't get an extra gust or it to lay down.

My home course is in a hilltop so, pretty breezy especially in the spring and fall. Makes for some challenging shots, that’s for sure. Learning to play the wind is a very useful part of the game

It’s always fun to see the look on a new member or guests face when they’re told that it’s a 3 or 4 club wind on a 130 yard downhill Par 3.

Oh, and my favorite ball for windy days is the Titleist AVX.

I don’t mind it as much as I used to. I’m starting to have fun with it. <2 club winds I play more/less club for most shots. For 2+ I either suck it up and hit a normal shot with more club or if it’s within a known 3/4 zone I’ll play that. I only trust up to my 9i for 3/4 shots.

I don’t intentionally swing easier. That’s a quick trip to chunky town for me. I let the 3/4 swings slow my swing speed through the shorter length. If I can get more consistent with a covered PW from 100 out I’d hit it everywhere. Seeing a 30 ft. high laser beam headed towards the green is hilarious to me.

That's what I remember most about playing golf while living in Vegas. It was always like this in the winter. I always enjoyed it because I love a challenge and trying to figure things out on a course.

If I’ve made a tee time with friends then I’ll play in it. If it’s an after work spontaneous round and it’s more than about 15mph sustained I’ll just wait for another day. My course is about a mile from Galveston bay so 10~15 is kind of the norm.

Like yourself I won't get to play much golf if I don't accept playing on the wind. Where I am, sustained 15mph & gusts over 25mph is pretty much normal. (Ironically I did play yesterday in no wind!).

Do I enjoy It though? Absolutely not, hate it 99% of the time but it is what it is unfortunately.

Like yourself I won't get to play much golf if I don't accept playing on the wind. Where I am, sustained 15mph & gusts over 25mph is pretty much normal. (Ironically I did play yesterday in no wind!).

Do I enjoy It though? Absolutely not, hate it 99% of the time but it is what it is unfortunately.

To add, it does frustrate me on tour when they have a 15mph/20mph wind, the pros are cracking on with it but the commentators are going on & on about how difficult it is.

Back