No_Three_Jacks

Amateur around scratch
Reaction score
Handicap
My last club we had a noon game and played 2 off the first and played it down (unless rainy and wet). My new club plays 2 off the first but you have to play the second one if you hit it and they play it up. Playing it up has been strange for me. My question is this.... How often do you guys play the ball down everywhere?

Maybe I'm the exception but I don't know what you mean by "playing it down" or "playing it up". Please explain.

Maybe I'm the exception but I don't know what you mean by "playing it down" or "playing it up". Please explain.

Playing it down = not moving the ball before hitting it, Playing it up = moving the ball for a better lie (cheating)

I've been playing it down for a couple years now, no matter what the lie. Hasn't seem to hurt my score any and I feel much better when I can hit a good shot from a not-so-perfect lie. My scores are real, NO mulligans, breakfast balls, or any of that crap, and NO gimmie putts.

You are not alone OG. I feel like I just read gibberish. I did not understand anything! Can you speak Canadian please, EH? there's a Tim's in it for ya if you do.

Playing it down means playing it as it lies. I typically always play that way unless the course is saturated and balls plug and stuff.

You are not alone OG. I feel like I just read gibberish. I did not understand anything! Can you speak Canadian please, EH? there's a Tim's in it for ya if you do.

Ohh Timmy's!!!!

Playing it down = playing it as it lies
Playing it up = winter rules aka rolling the ball aka finding a better lie

I think playing it down is the way to go, unless it is wet and the balls are plugging.

Playing it down = not moving the ball before hitting it, Playing it up = moving the ball for a better lie (cheating)

I've been playing it down for a couple years now, no matter what the lie. Hasn't seem to hurt my score any and I feel much better when I can hit a good shot from a not-so-perfect lie. My scores are real, NO mulligans, breakfast balls, or any of that crap, and NO gimmie putts.

I always play it as it lies, but as for the highlighted portion, didn't you just say in your first post you hit 2 off of the first tee? Isn't that basically the definition of a breakfast ball?

Still feeling rather dumb. What does this part mean?

My last club we had a noon game and played 2 off the first and played it down (unless rainy and wet). My new club plays 2 off the first but you have to play the second one if you hit it and they play it up. Playing it up has been strange for me. My question is this.... How often do you guys play the ball down everywhere?

I play it down unless the course is wet and the balls are plugging or I am in an area that would damage my club (rocks where they shouldnt be, etc)

We play the ball down always. The only exception would be if the course makes it a local rule for the day because of wet conditions, in which lift/clean/place would be in play. We had a very wet spring, but the course only declared lift/clean/place one or two times. The ball should always be played down if possible. Rolling the ball or whatever, is more like scramble type golf, which is not really golf, just something that looks like it.

Still feeling rather dumb. What does this part mean?

Last Club - 1st tee. Hit 2 and play the best option and play it down (dont move it) from there on.
New Club - 1st tee. Hit 2 but if you do hit the second one then you are forced to play it. Ex: first ball is in the rough but laying 1 an you choose to hit another and hit it OB. You must take the OB ball because you chose to hit a 2nd ball. And after that you can improve your lie through the duration of the round.

I always play it down. Unless as mentioned above about wet conditions and plugged ball.

I believe that fluffing your lie is a 2 stroke penalty, isn't it?? If you're not going to play by the rules then why play at all??

Maybe it's a betting thing. Anyone I play with that likes to bet always likes to "play it up". I always decline.

I always play it down. Unless as mentioned above about wet conditions and plugged ball.

I believe that fluffing your lie is a 2 stroke penalty, isn't it?? If you're not going to play by the rules then why play at all??

Maybe it's a betting thing. Anyone I play with that likes to bet always likes to "play it up". I always decline.

Personally I like to play it down when betting because I feel its to my advantage.

We play the ball down always. The only exception would be if the course makes it a local rule for the day because of wet conditions, in which lift/clean/place would be in play. We had a very wet spring, but the course only declared lift/clean/place one or two times. The ball should always be played down if possible. Rolling the ball or whatever, is more like scramble type golf, which is not really golf, just something that looks like it.

I do, within reason. None of the courses in my area really mark ground under repair, drop zones, etc., until the night before a tournament. So I will take relief if I am in an area I know would be marked GUR.

I do, within reason. None of the courses in my area really mark ground under repair, drop zones, etc., until the night before a tournament. So I will take relief if I am in an area I know would be marked GUR.

I agree 100%. Alot of course dont have the man power to mark GUR 2 or 3 times a week

I always play it down, unless the ball is plugged in the fairway or I can take relief from casual water. Also, 2 off the first tee is silly...if you hit a bad ball for the first shot, it's your fault, go find it and hit it again.

I usually play it as it lies...however on some courses I play you have search for grass, even in the fairway.

I always play it down, unless the ball is plugged in the fairway or I can take relief from casual water. Also, 2 off the first tee is silly...if you hit a bad ball for the first shot, it's your fault, go find it and hit it again.

I don't necessarily disagree. I think you can make an argument for 2 off the first sometimes, like when circumstances force you to get to the course 15 minutes before your tee time and you have to get straight out of your car and hit a tee shot.

I play down when ever I play unless it is a local rule I know everyone is playing by winter rules which is touching :banana: in the fairway. Other wise I don't put my paws on the ball.

Last Club - 1st tee. Hit 2 and play the best option and play it down (dont move it) from there on.
New Club - 1st tee. Hit 2 but if you do hit the second one then you are forced to play it. Ex: first ball is in the rough but laying 1 an you choose to hit another and hit it OB. You must take the OB ball because you chose to hit a 2nd ball. And after that you can improve your lie through the duration of the round.

Thanks for the clarification 3Jacks. I thought that's what it was. I still don't really get it though and have never heard of it. So on the first tee you get 2 chances to hit a decent ball? Is that not kind of cheating? Why would you hit another ball if your first is in the rough?

I like to play it down as long as the ball doesn't plug. It makes me more confident in my ability to hit form different lies.

Simple solution: play by the rules

Simple solution: play by the rules

Agreed, no problem with lift, clean, place if that is the rule for the day because of weather or course conditions but 2 off the tee or hitting until your happy is not a round of golf but a range session.

Back