Playing Out of a Divot?

Thanks for the cliff notes. I guess now I can't use the excuse didn't know how to play it out of that lie.

I didn’t say where they went....might have been because both eyes were closed.

It’s not hard. Swing hard, swing fast & try & keep at least 1 eye open at contact.
Hmm, sounds just like how I always swing. Who knew I already knew how to play out of divots? :LOL:

I didn’t say where they went....might have been because both eyes were closed.
Haha... Seen some and created some craters out on the courses lately. Feel like this is a swing for the fences right after you tell your partner to watch this.

I feel fortunate that I never drive it into the fairway after this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asking the pro shop would do no good - there's nobody in our pro shop who knows any more about the rules than we do, some of the employees in there don't even golf.

You're kidding, right?

I mean, I can see where it becomes problematic in a tournament, where you'd want to ensure that the application of the rule is the same in every group to protect the field. But what competitive golfer doesn't know what a freaking divot is? If the fellow competitors in your group can't agree on whether or not it's a divot as defined by the (hypothetical) rule, call in a rules official. But in everyday play, which is 99% of golfers, it's much ado about nothing - there's no field to protect and if you're taking liberties and cheating, you're only hurting yourself by artificially lowering your handicap.
You're not wrong. But that issue wouldn't be unique to this rule. We see it with where the ball crosses penalty area boundaries, immovable objects in your intended path, relief from cart paths, etc.

Had some fun with this one on the range yesterday. 20200514_080505.jpg

The golfer still faces the exact shot their last swing swing earned them
Would you fee the same way if it were a difference of one foot from being in the fairway with a perfect lie versus that foot off the fairway in thick rough where the ball has settled to the bottom? Lie makes all the difference in the world. They are not the exact same shot. Would it be OK for your opponent to drop from one foot away but in the fairway in that instance?

Would you fee the same way if it were a difference of one foot from being in the fairway with a perfect lie versus that foot off the fairway in thick rough where the ball has settled to the bottom? Lie makes all the difference in the world. They are not the exact same shot. Would it be OK for your opponent to drop from one foot away but in the fairway in that instance?
I would feel completely different. Clearly if you hit in the rough you have missed the fairway and should be punished.. That why we have fairways and rough. The point here is that the individual hit a fairway but then is punished due to a stroke of bad luck / laziness from a golfer playing ahead of them that did not fill in a divot.

My ball came to rest in a divot last weekend. I moved it out and over about 5 inches.

you madman!!! Haha.

LOL....just happened in today’s round & thought of you all.....

View attachment 8943052

this is the typical divot you see here and it’s not dangerous to play out of. A little harder as you need to be more precise but certainly not one if move The ball for.

My club had a free drop from "mulched/landscaped areas" under trees for years -- we have a lot of trees.

New pro killed that a few years ago b/c people took advantage. Divots seem pretty cut and dry though.

Unfortunatley, 338 posts proves that divots are certainly not cut and dry.

I'd like to read all of them (well, maybe not) but it's a commitment

I tried to address that? ... here's the rest of the paragraph you took my "The golfer still faces the exact shot their last swing swing earned them" snippet from:
----
'The golfer still faces the exact shot their last swing swing earned them, sans the bad break caused by a lazy predecessor. I do think the hypothetical might have to be enacted in the rough too though, simply because so many other rules define different options 'through the green' versus 'in a hazard'. I get that might open another can of worms but maybe just wording it such that the ball can't be dropped into a shorter cut classification would suffice?'
----
I thought the hypothetical should probably include rough lies too with the bolded included to prevent exactly what you're concerned with from occurring.

If you are in West Texas where there is no grass on the course..... how do you take a drop out of a divot? :ROFLMAO:

I couldn't remember the last time I was actually in a divot when this thread started. Since then I've had to play on at least the edge of 4 of them. A couple more today. The divot gods are listening to this nonsense.

Last edited:
'The golfer still faces the exact shot their last swing swing earned them
I am of the opinion that one doesn't "earn" anything in golf, that golf doesn't owe one anything. That's what makes it such a great game. Two great shots on a difficult par 4 leading to a short putt that lips out because of a small imperfection in the green right in front of the cup, does one give himself/herself a birdie because they "earned" it? Really, what would be the difference? Golf is played outdoors in imperfect conditions; it is the very essence and nature of the game. Good breaks and bad breaks happen though we all feel the bad ones far outnumber the good ones. :)

the bad ones far outnumber the good ones.
I think that's just perception. We seem to focus on bad stuff more than good. I know I wouldn't trade all my good bounces to get rid of the bad bounces.

After practicing this shot and changes on opinion? More or less leniency on the issue?

No changes here. Hitting out of poor lies is an integral part of the game. I do it on the course. Rarely do it on the range. I just happened to think about it after I laid the sod over one so I decided to practice it.

Back