Playing Out of a Divot?

No changes here. Hitting out of poor lies is an integral part of the game. I do it on the course. Rarely do it on the range. I just happened to think about it after I laid the sod over one so I decided to practice it.
biggest attribute lost from hitting out of divot is spin and distance right?

biggest attribute lost from hitting out of divot is spin and distance right?

Distance if you can't make solid contact. Spin, I'd guess yes, but I have no way of being certain.

Distance if you can't make solid contact. Spin, I'd guess yes, but I have no way of being certain.
I think it's more the ability to hit it high. You can still get spin on it, but more of the low spinner kind of shot.

It's also not always the same. Divot lies are different from one to the other. Are you at the front, middle or back of the divot? Is it a wide divot or is it hugging the ball?

That's part of why I'm against a rule change. Being able to read your lie is a big element of the game of golf. Removing that in this instance seems counter to the nature of the game, imo.

So, has anybody figured out whether clubs with jacked lofts or traditional lofts are better for hitting out of fairway divots? 😏

So, has anybody figured out whether clubs with jacked lofts or traditional lofts are better for hitting out of fairway divots? 😏

I think "jacked" lofts are better everywhere.

I think you need tiny bladed pro irons.. Like Rickie Fowler's new irons.. They will carve those balls right out.. :cool:

I think you need tiny bladed pro irons.. Like Rickie Fowler's new irons.. They will carve those balls right out.. :cool:

I could arrange a test with a tiny blade. Might be fun.

i thought of this thread immediately this weekend, i was going to snap a photo but didnt.. i had a ball in a divot this weekend, actually hit it quite well, pretty much a punch shot with good contact but the ball did have a fairly decent fade to it, my follow through swing stopped about half way, thought the iron was going to snap in half, came out of it ok but good grief... irritating to say the least.

i thought of this thread immediately this weekend, i was going to snap a photo but didnt.. i had a ball in a divot this weekend, actually hit it quite well, pretty much a punch shot with good contact but the ball did have a fairly decent fade to it, my follow through swing stopped about half way, thought the iron was going to snap in half, came out of it ok but good grief... irritating to say the least.
We’re seeing a lot more fairway divots on a couple holes here too... especially with how wet the grass has been.
Some guys are taking relief suggesting that they want the grass to grow, and others play it as it lies.
Like you though, those shots out of deep, wet divots sure do seem to catch clubs!!

Sounds painful.

Next time aim for the rough :ROFLMAO:

I had a ball land in a fairway divot this weekend also but luckily we were playing lift, clean and place and no one cared since it was so soaked. If I would have had to play out of it I would have been ticked, it was a crater and there's no way I could have hit a decent shot.

Hitting it off fairway divots is one thing if they have been repaired with sand. Hitting it of unfixed divots is just not fair.

Played out of multiple divots the last two rounds. I would call a couple of them holes. Our course does not include sand filler in carts for divots. This might be a COVID-19 thing. A couple of the divots were penal in impact.

I've started to notice the effect of no sand bottles on the courses that don't have them right now. Looking forward to playing out of a divot or two tomorrow.

@mtbloco this thread’s for you

lol. When I uncork a 290 yarder....leave you 45 yards in the dust...I must talk ****.
But my dang ball, after all that, finds a divot!

It’s GROUND UNDER REPAIR!!!!!!!!!!
It’s GROUND UNDER REPAIR!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I played it down. Shanked it. Saved bogey while @oumagic birdied.

FML

Didn't have strong feeling on this until today. Hit a perfect 3 wood right down the middle and left myself a 270 yard layup on a par 5. Landed in a completely unplayable divot someone not even bothered to think about replacing. I would rather been in a fairside bunker.

I agree. Should someone have a bad lie if they hit it where they were supposed to....in the fairway. Why be penalized for hitting where you were supposed to just because it's rub of the green, or luck of the draw, or whatever cliche you want to come up with.

Late to this discussion, but when you hit the ball in the fairway and it hits a sprinkler head or some other object and bounces into the rough, do you go put it back in the fairway? You hit it where you were supposed to, after all.

The whole premise of "why be penalized when I hit it where I was supposed to" is based on the idea that you deserve a good lie, and by extension, you deserve a good score.

Trying to remove "unfairness" from the game is a slippery slope. Take the sprinkler head example. Do we need to change the rules to allow you to go get the ball and place it back in the fairway? Or what if you find your ball on a drainage grate? We have rules that allow you to move it from the drainage grate to avoid hitting metal or concrete, but is it really fair that your ball got caught up by that drainage grate? Had the land been flat and the grate not there, you might have gotten another 10 yards of roll. You hit it in the right place, why are you being penalized by the positioning of that grate? And what about mud? If it's not lift-clean-and-place, why are you being penalized for your ball picking up mud when you hit it in the fairway? If a tree branch was blown down by a storm, and your partner's ball avoids the branch and rolls 50 yards past yours which was caught up by that branch which is not supposed to be in the fairway, how is that fair?

Golf contains both good and bad breaks. Personally I think if we try to legislate fairness, we'll end up regretting it.

Late to this discussion, but when you hit the ball in the fairway and it hits a sprinkler head or some other object and bounces into the rough, do you go put it back in the fairway? You hit it where you were supposed to, after all.

The whole premise of "why be penalized when I hit it where I was supposed to" is based on the idea that you deserve a good lie, and by extension, you deserve a good score.

Trying to remove "unfairness" from the game is a slippery slope. Take the sprinkler head example. Do we need to change the rules to allow you to go get the ball and place it back in the fairway? Or what if you find your ball on a drainage grate? We have rules that allow you to move it from the drainage grate to avoid hitting metal or concrete, but is it really fair that your ball got caught up by that drainage grate? Had the land been flat and the grate not there, you might have gotten another 10 yards of roll. You hit it in the right place, why are you being penalized by the positioning of that grate? And what about mud? If it's not lift-clean-and-place, why are you being penalized for your ball picking up mud when you hit it in the fairway? If a tree branch was blown down by a storm, and your partner's ball avoids the branch and rolls 50 yards past yours which was caught up by that branch which is not supposed to be in the fairway, how is that fair?

Golf contains both good and bad breaks. Personally I think if we try to legislate fairness, we'll end up regretting it.

This particular rule, CAN promote the idea that taking less care of the course during competition gives one an advantage.
I remember a few years back, there was a conversation about marks on the green and the same argument was given. The rulebook evolved, rightfully so to allow fixing of that. For those that follow the rule creators, I suspect they agreed with it then, and agree with it now.

Playing out of a divot is something you can learn how to do.

Yeah, but you're not getting on the green from 180 out from a divot, it's basically a forced lay up sitting on the fairway.

I've had my share this year, a course I've been frequenting looks line a mine field, always play it down though, doubt many others do. #fakescore.

This particular rule, CAN promote the idea that taking less care of the course during competition gives one an advantage.
I remember a few years back, there was a conversation about marks on the green and the same argument was given. The rulebook evolved, rightfully so to allow fixing of that. For those that follow the rule creators, I suspect they agreed with it then, and agree with it now.

I would agree making caring for the course the priority would be the strongest argument for changing the rule.

I'm still not sure I like it on a philosophical level, but I'd get over it if they changed it.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
They'll never change this rule, they didn't for 2019 and that was a major overhaul, I'm sure this one was discussed a lot.

Back