Playing so tired you can hardly hit?

Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
The other day I was playing 18 holes and then my buddy says, "Let's go another 9." I was already tired, but we were there and it is golf after all. Of course he is 55 and I am 66.

So we played another 9 and although I made it all the way through, I got so tired at hole 27 that I could barely hit the wedge up to the green. It was funny and should have been on video as I proceeded to hit the wedge and hit one shot off the right side of the club head almost missing the golf ball then hit another just like it almost missing it again. I told my buddy, I am done and I just putted up to the green instead of trying another chip :eek:.

Does this happen to you, or maybe this is just an old guy thing for us old timers out there that make bad decisions on hot days? :ROFLMAO:

I’m the same age (66) and don’t have the same stamina as I used to. I played 9 a couple of weeks ago in the heat and humidity that wiped me out quickly. In addition to being tired and losing strength, being fatigued also reduces my mental ability to concentrate. I just can’t give it the same focus when I’m running out of gas. Last season, I was walking around my neighborhood everyday which had me in better condition and I seldom got as tired as I have been this year.

In the southern California heat, I feel that way by hole 17. Just hope to be done and not do worse than a triple. :ROFLMAO:

I'm 54 and was feeling the sun and humidity take a lot off steam off my game in the later holes. So I started weight training and swimming every other day for the past 2 years nothing hard core just mild repetitive training.
It has helped me out a bit enough that I am ok finishing the round in decent condition.
I drink a lot of water during the round and wear specific attire in the summer, I try to stay away from dark colors.
Anything to try to cool as possible

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Oh yeah. I've left a few courses worn completely out. Sometimes even after only 18 holes, walking a hilly course. .

I can play 36 pretty easy using a golf cart. 36 walking is not something I've done for a few years now.

Other than walking a hilly course, the biggest thing that will tucker me out is playing in the wind. A one, or two club wind will do me in if I'm not careful.

I've noticed this creeping in over the last few years now that I'm north of 40. Sometimes the last few swings of a round really have you shaking your head to say "what in the #&^%@ just happened?"

The days of playing more than 18 are pretty rare for me. Play starts to get sloppy for me when I get tired.

My biggest problem is, and always has been, my flat footed-ness. Normally I walk 18 holes and by the end the feet aren't too happy. Inserts or shoe type doesn't really help. Arms, shoulders, back, ect.. no problems. This starts messing with my stance and weight shifting and sometimes shots don't go as planned. I'm 42 and this is the same problem I've had since I started playing at 15 or so. If my feet hold up I can do 27 which is the most I ever played in one day. With a cart I have no problems playing 18 holes. One buddy from work I go with sometimes is pretty much done by 18 in a cart and he's younger than I am.

I can't do 27 holes in a day. I started playing when I was 60. I played in a 27 hole scramble my 2nd year. By the 21st hole I was out of gas. I couldn't even putt worth a damn. I cost our team 1st place money.

I’m 24 and this happened to me in March after playing 54 holes in 36 hours on a trip to NC. I played very well on the front 9 of the last round and fell apart on the back due to pure exhaustion

Sometimes like this past Friday evening I only got five hours sleep and was up at 3:30 AM for 7 o’clock tee time, and with the heat I was running out of gas by the 15th hole. I am in my 60s and walk most of my rounds unless I’m doing 36 in a day on a buddy trip, and I find the heat is the most toughest on my body. I just make sure that I stay hydrated both before and during the round if I know it’s gonna be hot.

I played 36 at Bandon Dunes. Bandon does not allow carts, and many of the courses are not an easy walk with steep hills all over the place. I had a caddy for the first 18, but was push-carting it for the second.

I was out on the Pacific Dunes course all by myself at like 8 pm, miles from anyone, and I was dragging big-time. The thought crossed my mind I could have a heart attack and nobody would find me until the next morning.

I'm 73, and on really hot, muggy days (90/95 degrees) I can feel the fatigue! I stay hydrated, but there have been days when I've quit playing (rare) due to heat and fatigue. Its not worth it to get heat stroke!

I am in opposite camp, l am 60 yo tradie , and comfortably walk and push the buggy over the round all year round and we have a temp differential of 2 deg to 46 deg ( Celsius ) and are renowned for wind all directions lol and rain.

lnherently l think being a tradie, keeps me relatively fit being up and own ladders and manoeuvring around as well as lifting and general engineering activity.

The other stuff about lighter coloured clothing etc is beneficial but not core to completing a round , drinking water or electrolyte in warmer weather keeps you from feeling dehydrated and any further illness.

More importantly , regular physical motion and extending endurance, and improved general physical fitness will be of greater benefit, not just on the course but in general life .

Have noticed that the heat is making more of a difference than it used to. Have only played 27 once several years ago and it was too much then. I'm 75 so there are a lot of things that are changing. Trying to have enough sense to quit going up on roofs, trike instead of motorcycle, even being more careful where I step because falls can be much more serious it seems. Things I used to ignore seem to take a few days to get over now. On the bright side I'm still able to play and ride and enjoy both, and do a little fishing.

Would normally have played today, but my daughter was just born on Thursday, so I decided just to go to the range. Had to take a few breaks. It's soooooooooooooo hot right now.

Would normally have played today, but my daughter was just born on Thursday, so I decided just to go to the range. Had to take a few breaks. It's soooooooooooooo hot right now.
Congrats, more on being a father , that’s going to take far more energy than a round or two and a bigger endurance test 😊 from a father of 3 😊2 boys and a girl.

Congrats, more on being a father , that’s going to take far more energy than a round or two and a bigger endurance test 😊 from a father of 3 😊2 boys and a girl.
My first girl. I also have 2 boys. Thanks very much; I could not be more proud.

Never played more than 18 in a day.

In less than 3 hours we will bee teeing off for 54 holes today. I expect to experience this exhaustion thing you speak of. :ROFLMAO:

I'm 54 and was feeling the sun and humidity take a lot off steam off my game in the later holes. So I started weight training and swimming every other day for the past 2 years nothing hard core just mild repetitive training.
It has helped me out a bit enough that I am ok finishing the round in decent condition.
I drink a lot of water during the round and wear specific attire in the summer, I try to stay away from dark colors.
Anything to try to cool as possible

I'm much the same. I start to fall apart repeately about hole 14 though in spite of my training. I'm a walker and loose a great deal of water walking. By comparison, I generally feel good after 18 on a 45 degree day

Replace "tired" with "hungover" and I've been there.

I'm young yet, 37, I haven't been that drained at the end of a round yet.

It happened yesterday, my wife and I teed up at 4:00, we should have had plenty of time to finish before dark. We both were exhausted by 14, skipped two holes, I moved up to play the forward tees on 17 & 18 just so we could finish. It was a combination of heat, poor play (lots of extra swings) and our age.

I'm much the same. I start to fall apart repeately about hole 14 though in spite of my training. I'm a walker and loose a great deal of water walking. By comparison, I generally feel good after 18 on a 45 degree day
Yes the weather is our enemy no doubt. Specifically humidity I think.

As others have said, hydration and off course physical activity really helps.

I'm 68 and walk, using a push cart.

I bring 3 coffee mugs of ice water and usually drink two while playing and one on the way home.

I try to walk 45-60 minutes every non golf day and try to maintain some type of daily core/upper body exercise.

I guess we are not all Gary Player

so yesterday I had a cup of coffee and some breakfast. Was on the course at 7:30am. Walked 18 with my friends and was done in 3 hours and 24 min (I track play time but not my score :unsure:) Never felt very hot and did not sweat much. It was about 86 when we quit at 11:30ish

before the round I had 12oz water and coffee
about 60 ounce of water during the short round.
24 more ounces on way home
3 beers as I watched the US open
2 quarts of gatoraide
and some more water

by 5pm I was able to pee a little bit. In summary, I felt I did nothing to exhert and drank all day and still can't go(n)

Back