Playing Through: Where is your mind?

I've hit some of my best drives ever and some of my worst playing through. It's really a mixed bag for me. I know I'm not rushed but I feel rushed and it does get to me at times. But I always appreciate them for letting me through. Exchange pleasantries and I'm off

I make sure to thank them for letting us through, then usually proceed to rush myself and hit one of my most craptacular shots of the day.

Depends on the playing through. Sometimes it’s like a last resort thing because I’ve been pushing a slow group for a while and sometimes it’s a group who I’ve barely caught and they just have me go through any ways.

usually a small convo though. Thanks, how’s it going, hopefully the golf has been good today, etc.

Then I usually hit a decent to good shot. Like you I typically hit well placed balls when playing though.

There is a group of young guys that I see playing together frequently on base. They are friendly and rowdy bunch, and I know they play for a little money among each other. I was playing a late nine solo one evening and caught up to them on the 3rd hole. They waited for me on the 4th tee as a couple of them already teed off and told me play on though.

Out of the blue one of them say's just don't hold us up old man just I let the tee shot go. I laughed and thanked them as I walked off.

As I'm walking away, I hear one of them saying..........Yeah........he just flew it past your ball.

And then I could hear them all laughing at the guy.

I try to read the vibe and just be pleasant.
If I can tell they're a group of goobers I like to roast a 250 yard 3 Hybrid and then act like I mishit it hehe.
Haha! YES!

Thinking, “don’t f’ this up”...

I had a guy say that to me once while I played thru. “Don’t f it up and make us wait.” He wasn’t smiling.

I hit a 155y 7i to about 6 inches, turned and said “hey look, whaddaya know, I didn’t f it up. I’m gonna go tap in for birdie now.”

He turned 4 shades of red and said nothing while his buddies choked back laughs.

my worst shots are when i’m playing through. i hate feeling rushed. i don’t care that people are watching, it’s just knowing i can’t take my normal routine because i’m expected to get out of their way asap. today we played through a group, and i made a god awful swing into a hazard.
This^

Even though I shouldn’t, I always feel like I need to hurry out their way since they stopped for me. It is usually not just that hole either. I tend to rush for another hole or 2 to create some distance between us and end up hitting some poor shots.

I had a guy say that to me once while I played thru. “Don’t f it up and make us wait.” He wasn’t smiling.

I hit a 155y 7i to about 6 inches, turned and said “hey look, whaddaya know, I didn’t f it up. I’m gonna go tap in for birdie now.”

He turned 4 shades of red and said nothing while his buddies choked back laughs.
I had a similar experience this summer at a local muni. I was sneaking a quick 9 in on a Friday evening and the guy at the desk warns me he let six of his old college buddies out a as six-some. I catch up on the third hole par three and they were all somewhere around the green after their tee shots but nobody on the dance floor.
Turns out I know one of the boys, he played HS football with my son.
They invited me to play through and I stepped up to the tee box a promptly stuck the tee shot about as close as 5150 did, thanked them and walked up for the tap in.
It felt good to hear one of them say, "and that boys is how you do it". Ya gotta love the "old fart gods" some days;)

Definitely make sure to say thank you. I often feel rushed, but I do better with this now than I used to

The majority of my rounds area as a single so playing through is a common occurrence.
I tend to hit a great shot when I do.
When waiti.g behind the group or if I come upon them and waiting I don't say a word. I just patiently wait. Ill stay as close to the group as I can but not push them.
When they waive me through im almost apologetic but cordial.
If I do happen to hit a clunker ill motor on down the fairway and drop a ball.
There is a lot of satisfaction in hitting it close on a par 3 or hitting a laser down the fairway. It draws a couple of quiet comments.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I definitely do not like playing through, if I have the time and the course really isn't that busy, I will do my best not to creep up on the group in front of me to avoid being asked to play through. My nerves while in front of strangers is something that I need to work on in my golf game and in life in general, so it is something that goes beyond golf for me. However, when I do end up playing through, I am very much the "praying for contact" person, and my interaction with the group letting me play through is usually limited to a "thanks, have a great day" and then I'm moving on. I also tend to rush my game when playing through because I hate the thought of holding them up when they were nice enough to let me play through.

I had a similar experience this summer at a local muni. I was sneaking a quick 9 in on a Friday evening and the guy at the desk warns me he let six of his old college buddies out a as six-some. I catch up on the third hole par three and they were all somewhere around the green after their tee shots but nobody on the dance floor.
Turns out I know one of the boys, he played HS football with my son.
They invited me to play through and I stepped up to the tee box a promptly stuck the tee shot about as close as 5150 did, thanked them and walked up for the tap in.
It felt good to hear one of them say, "and that boys is how you do it". Ya gotta love the "old fart gods" some days;)

I gotta admit, when that guy said that to me on the box, I had a little internal talk with the golf gods that rhymed with “Just this one shot, right here, just give me this one to cram down this guy’s throat...”

I should add for context that I was playing as a single, they were a foursome that had ignored me as I waited on the 2 tee boxes before that one, so I was already a little annoyed.

I will always thank them a couple of times but I feel rushed the entire hole. I appreciate them letting me play through but I definitely try to get off of that hole as fast as I can

me on the drive as I play thru.

Just ran into this scenario earlier in the week. We were playing through on a par 3 which required me to hit a 4 iron. I don't mind this shot but not the most comfortable in this situation. Swing thought was "don't shank it". Flushed one pin high to 8 feet.

I don't change my routine at all. So I have a few extra set of eyes on me, so what, sure beats waiting and playing golf behind them all round.

Take a practice swing. Setup. Swing away. Thank them for letting me thru and tell them to enjoy the round.

Last edited:
I hope to have a shot so I dont waste their time for letting me play though. If it is show worthy, it just makes it that much better lol.

I have no thoughts nor care what i do when playing through. Make a bad shot? So what.....so do pros and so has everyone and rarely am i ever embarrassed cause I dont think with my ego anyway. Hit a great shot? I feel good just the same as i would if alone. None of it matters to me. the only thing is to try and get through in a timely manor.

Playing through.....Yea, What a great concept. Often what I encounter are non engaging butt holes who believe as they are in front of you, you just stay back and mind your own business.....As I walk almost 100% of time....playing through takes a little time.....and I know in the first glance whether the event will take place. When I do actually get invited to play through.....If the group is less than 4 I'll say we can play together or I can play through....If I play through I usually hit better shots and just say Thank You and Enjoy your round and continue on.....Just a few days ago I was on 9 green putting...and onto 10 tee went two. Man walking and woman in cart....I walked toward them wondering where their etiquette might be....They would not make eye contact and swooshed away.....I stood on the tee 10 minutes as they took their sweet time. I proceeded to wait on them every hole every shot. Played the back in 2:15 whilst I played front in 1:30....

If I'm playing through at the tee box of a par 4 or 5, I'm more of a show off. I'm that confident in my driver.
If it's on a par 3...well....let's just say I'm closer to hit and hope. LOL

I usually do OK when the rare "wanna play through" comes up. I try to stay simple, and get out of the way as expeditiously as possible.

well, got the okay to play through on the always fun, over water, par 3...while i paid no attention to their tee shots, they seemed interested in mine :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:....hit a nice draw over the water that stopped 20ft from the pin for some "ooohs" and "nice shot" from my "gallery"...quickly got up there and left the 20 footer a foot right :cautious: and booked onto the next tee

We have a few "strategic spots" on my home course where it's easy to skip a couple holes and circle back around later to play them. We'll sometimes resort to that if the group ahead isn't letting us play through and the holes ahead of them are open. It also saves any problems with rushing and/or having to hit a tee shot in front of an audience.

It's possible to do that all through the summer, when our courses are least crowded, but a lot harder during the winter when the course is usually pretty busy. You just don't often have the luxury of several open holes in front of a group then.

Fooooooore right usually!

well, got the okay to play through on the always fun, over water, par 3...while i paid no attention to their tee shots, they seemed interested in mine :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:....hit a nice draw over the water that stopped 20ft from the pin for some "ooohs" and "nice shot" from my "gallery"...quickly got up there and left the 20 footer a foot right :cautious: and booked onto the next tee
You stud! ;)

Back