Playing With Vintage Clubs

formula8

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone occasionally bring out a set of old clubs for fun? For the sake of discussion I'll say vintage is pre 2000.

I just played 9 this week with a setup from the 90's including the bag itself and had some fun. Will definitely be doing it again with some other older clubs I have. Here is a little WITB.

Mizuno T Zoid Titanium w/EI70 shaft

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird w/steel Memphis 10 shaft

Taylormade Burner Bubble Titanium 5W w/S90 shaft

Top Flite Tour 3 - Lob irons w/ TT Dynalite R300 shafts

Ray Cook Blue Goose 2 putter

e3996db657fc252fbe6fd52bb70cf773.jpg
bf1b3a652163ea5562154fb567ef7494.jpg
4276f56e0a791282136b2fb212c7b22e.jpg
02363f4c1a0c413ee93ba0486825489e.jpg
3ee61d7398078b349d137311b0dbedb1.jpg
7171a3eed39f789351f64e3231d575e7.jpg

1561520432709.jpg

Pre 1970's Gold

Holed a HIO with the Nine iron thus May!:drinks:

I've thought about taking my x14s out again. Haven't swung them since I replaced them last spring. I think they came out in 2000 though.

I played those Top Flite Tours they were a very under rated set of irons.

I would. But would require regripping. Not worth the expense.

I have a set of Ping Eye 2’s in the garage that I inherited from my father in law. I fully intended to game them one day to see how they compare to my P790’s.

It's been a couple years since I took them out, but I have some good old stuff in the garage. Some collectors level, some that sees the course. My favorite on course setup is a set of Wood Brothers Kool Kat 1-3-5 woods with Hogan Apex '99 irons and BeCu Special wedges.

I’ll play a buddy’s set of Hogan’s or his 1964 Hagans every now & then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played those Top Flite Tours they were a very under rated set of irons.
Played them for over 10 years straight but haven't swung one since about 2009. Zero complaints with their performance but would prefer a more stout shaft.

Played them for over 10 years straight but haven't swung one since about 2009. Zero complaints with their performance but would prefer a more stout shaft.

I would be the other way now I likely wouldn’t have enough swing speed to hit the irons I had at the time.

Ive got an old set of Wilson and Spalding woods from the '70s, Spalding irons with pyratone shafts from the '30s and a Spalding blade putter from the '30s that I play from time to time. Its a lot of fun to get the old classics out, although most courses today are way too long for my vintage set because I simply cant hit the ball far enough with the to hit the greens on par 4s and 5s in enough strokes to where I have a realistic chance of making par because the irons are 2 or 3 clubs weaker than today's irons are. Its still fun though.
Yesterday I picked up a mint set of Titleist DCI 822 OS for next to nothing that I think are going to become my new gamers until I can afford to buy a set of Titliest 720 CBs. Technically, those are considered vintage too because they were made in 2001.

I picked up a set of wooden woods, irons, and an old school blade putter from friend's garage sale weekend before last. I regripped them all with GP Tour Velvet +4 grips for now, but I might try to find some "vintage" grips to put on them.

Calling something from the '90's "vintage" really makes me feel old. What do you call something from the early '70's?
Old?

20 years is the accepted cut off for clothing to be considered vintage, so I just went with that for discussion sake.

It's been a couple years since I took them out, but I have some good old stuff in the garage. Some collectors level, some that sees the course. My favorite on course setup is a set of Wood Brothers Kool Kat 1-3-5 woods with Hogan Apex '99 irons and BeCu Special wedges.
I always wanted a Kool Kat corker ever since I saw one in a golf store... or a Killer Whale driver...(y)

I still have my Ping Eye2 plus no minus that I bought when I was young. I seldom use it, but one in awhile I took her out for spin and realize how good is modern irons sets are.
Fun to play around with it. That's all. I just keep it for sentimental reason.

Old?

20 years is the accepted cut off for clothing to be considered vintage, so I just went with that for discussion sake.

I feel like Johnny Carson.. "I did not know that"

From wiki: "Vintage" is a colloquialism commonly used to refer to all old styles of clothing. A generally accepted industry standard is that items made between 20 years ago and 100 years ago are considered "vintage" and they clearly reflect the styles and trends of the era they represent.

Back