Please help: how to remove finish from putter (DIY chrome removal, etc.)

Northerner

Reaction score
I am sick of pissing about with this putter. Was going to send it in to KAC but I decided not to. Just want the pesky outer layer removed and then will decide what next to do with it.

I forget what the outer layer was called but it is very similar to chrome plating. Some of it started "flaking" off or chipped off or whatever. I chipped a bunch of it off by hand. Some of it is in crevecas and what not.

I bought a dremel and find it isn't powerful enough.

Do I need to just put a certain piece on to my small bench grinder and just go at it that way?

90807879_3110793425813147_621545513635807232_o.jpg

91054744_3110793899146433_7963647069397188608_o.jpg

91048967_3110793949146428_1256695026944049152_o.jpg

I'm not a metal refinisher.

How attached are you to the putter and do you want to preserve it?

From looking on the internet, it looks like the only way to get chrome plating off is through chemical means... but there's a chance it can pit the metal underneath.

some places suggested muriatic acid to get some of the coating off...

If it's paint, try aircraft stripper. Or Easy Off oven cleaner.

Simple Green may take some of the finish off.

I personally would send it off to someone and let them do it unless the putter didn't mean anything to me in which case I'd go simple green, then easy off, then aircraft stripper, then I'd buy a new putter.:ROFLMAO:

You may want to try soaking in acetone overnight then use a wire brush wheel in your dremel tool. I've never had a problem with a dremel tool not being powerful enough, though.

Plating needs to be blasted off, or removed with the kind of chemicals you need a license to use. Seriously, send it to me, I'll blast off the finish for you - no charge. Just cover the shipping.

You may want to try soaking in acetone overnight then use a wire brush wheel in your dremel tool. I've never had a problem with a dremel tool not being powerful enough, though.

Is there a particular bit that would eat off that finish, with my dremel? Maybe I haven't tried the right bit?

Plating needs to be blasted off, or removed with the kind of chemicals you need a license to use. Seriously, send it to me, I'll blast off the finish for you - no charge. Just cover the shipping.

I might just take you up on that. That's actually what I really want done - just a nice sand blast. Heck I don't even know if I want the head all sanded down and whatnot - just need that pesky chrome(ish) layer taken off to reasses what I want to do with the putter. Caswells, torched, raw - whatever. I need that chrome(ish) finish removed. I will PM you, sir. (y)

Back