Please tell me what is wrong with so many of us.

Why is it that the equipment we have is never enough. I have some very fine iron sets. I know full well that nothing else I could acquire would serve me any better and yet, ever since I hit the new Apex Pro irons yesterday, I cannot get my mind off of them. They literally are haunting me. 😂. What the hell is wrong with me? It’s funny, but it’s not.

Depends where you are at on the golf consumer Ferris Wheel of fun.

Stage 1 - Delusion: You actually believe the next product will slash your handicap by 10. MUST BUY!
Stage 2 - Addiction: You know the clubs won't change your life or scores, yet you simply MUST HAVE!
Stage 3 - Fun: You no longer care if the equipment improves your game, you just enjoy showing it off and talking about it with others. MUST OWN!
Stage 4 - Resentment: Nobody is impressed anymore. You look back at the $12k you've spent on golf gear, your handicap which is now 7 strokes higher than when you started, and the latest marketing pitches from the OEMs and you say "Not falling for it this time, WILL NOT BUY".
Stage 5 - Repeat: After a brief hiatus you find yourself back to Stage 1 to start all over again.

I don't judge. I've been spending money I don't have, to buy equipment I don't need, to impress people I've never met for years. I think I'm somewhere in Stage 5 lol.
It’s not you. I just bought the Maverik 3-wood. Did I need? No! Did I want it? Yes! Do I use it? No, I still use my epic! Lol, it happens!

Depends where you are at on the golf consumer Ferris Wheel of fun.

Stage 1 - Delusion: You actually believe the next product will slash your handicap by 10. MUST BUY!
Stage 2 - Addiction: You know the clubs won't change your life or scores, yet you simply MUST HAVE!
Stage 3 - Fun: You no longer care if the equipment improves your game, you just enjoy showing it off and talking about it with others. MUST OWN!
Stage 4 - Resentment: Nobody is impressed anymore. You look back at the $12k you've spent on golf gear, your handicap which is now 7 strokes higher than when you started, and the latest marketing pitches from the OEMs and you say "Not falling for it this time, WILL NOT BUY".
Stage 5 - Repeat: After a brief hiatus you find yourself back to Stage 1 to start all over again.

I don't judge. I've been spending money I don't have, to buy equipment I don't need, to impress people I've never met for years. I think I'm somewhere in Stage 5 lol.
In February of last year I was playing 10 year old irons, hybrids and FWs, a 7 year old putter and a 5 year old driver. I did a fitting, renewed my whole bag top to bottom, and now almost a year later my handicap is 2.1 strokes lower - and a lot of that probably came from the fact that I played and practiced more last year than I ever have before (152 rounds plus practice sessions). If we're going to attribute it to the club purchases and monetize it, it cost me over $1000 for each stroke off my handicap. :oops:

In February of last year I was playing 10 year old irons, hybrids and FWs, a 7 year old putter and a 5 year old driver. I did a fitting, renewed my whole bag top to bottom, and now almost a year later my handicap is 2.1 strokes lower - and a lot of that probably came from the fact that I played and practiced more last year than I ever have before (152 rounds plus practice sessions). If we're going to attribute it to the club purchases and monetize it, it cost me over $1000 for each stroke off my handicap. :oops:
That’s a lot of rounds, my friend. I bow down to your greatness.

My weakness - golf clubs/gear and guitars/amps. Have way too many of both and can't seem to part with any of them. I justify it by telling myself those are my only two vices in life. (ya, right) We are not on this earth for very long and tomorrow is not a given. Gonna enjoy myself while I'm here! :cool:

in my high end fishing tackle forum we call it the "bait monkey". When you buy a $600 rod to complement the other 10 in your boat, you simply said the bait monkey made me do it

I've been searching for the perfect golf bag for days. I'd chuckle at my wife if she spent that many hours looking for a bag to put her stuff in!

I have drank the Koolaid and love it’s taste. I do not indulge myself, live modestly and golf equipment is the one extravagance that I partake. I don’t need flashy cars or clothes but I do like new shiny clubs.

I only have one set of equipment. Multiple putters, but only one set.

I get rid of my previous equipment when I get my new stuff.

I'm trying hard to push away from the mentality of new is better.

I hit a TSi2 driver and a couple of different 7 irons on a simulator yesterday. Virtually no difference to the "dated" stuff in my bag.

It's that instant gratification we all crave.

Why is it that the equipment we have is never enough. I have some very fine iron sets. I know full well that nothing else I could acquire would serve me any better and yet, ever since I hit the new Apex Pro irons yesterday, I cannot get my mind off of them. They literally are haunting me. 😂. What the hell is wrong with me? It’s funny, but it’s not.
This is why i am not Shaft tinkering.....cheeper than new irons and Drivers

This is why i am not Shaft tinkering.....cheeper than new irons and Drivers

When a piece of ply-score fell in my garage and snapped my driver shaft last month, it was nice to replace it for 70 bucks!

really, really glad i don't have the equipment/tinkering bug that so many of you have hahahaha
I’m going to turn this around. What the hell is wrong with you? 🤣
May be something wrong with me, too :ROFLMAO:

After buying, since I started playing in June, two putters, two drivers, two 5-woods (the 1st of which was traded-in for the 2nd), a 7-wood, two wedges, a new bag, dozens of balls, a dozen-and-a-half grips, a dozen or so training aids, and various and sundry other golf-related paraphernalia: I'm not feeling a crying need for any more new golf stuph right now.

I know, right?

Part of it is I decided January, in addition to being alcohol-free, would also be unnecessary-purchase-free. As with my alcohol-free effort I haven't been entirely successful. I did buy a pair of eggplant ball markers. But so far that's been it: $28 on non-necessities for the entire month.

I'll probably acquire a putting mat next month. In the coming season I may acquire a 4h to replace the 4i I can't hit worth a damn. I might buy new irons. There's a more remote possibility I'll add a 3w and/or 50° wedge to the bag. But I'm not feeling a burning need for any of those things. Not right now, anyway ;)

Often new hobbies will start to pale on me about the time I tire of new toys acquisition. This is not happening with golf. In something of a departure, for me, I seem to be more interested in improving my proficiency than my gear.

May be something wrong with me, too :ROFLMAO:

After buying, since I started playing in June, two putters, two drivers, two 5-woods (the 1st of which was traded-in for the 2nd), a 7-wood, two wedges, a new bag, dozens of balls, a dozen-and-a-half grips, a dozen or so training aids, and various and sundry other golf-related paraphernalia: I'm not feeling a crying need for any more new golf stuph right now.

I know, right?

Part of it is I decided January, in addition to being alcohol-free, would also be unnecessary-purchase-free. As with my alcohol-free effort I haven't been entirely successful. I did buy a pair of eggplant ball markers. But so far that's been it: $28 on non-necessities for the entire month.

I'll probably acquire a putting mat next month. In the coming season I may acquire a 4h to replace the 4i I can't hit worth a damn. I might buy new irons. There's a more remote possibility I'll add a 3w and/or 50° wedge to the bag. But I'm not feeling a burning need for any of those things. Not right now, anyway ;)

Often new hobbies will start to pale on me about the time I tire of new toys acquisition. This is not happening with golf. In something of a departure, for me, I seem to be more interested in improving my proficiency than my gear.
Let’s revisit this post in a year. 😂. Just teasing you. It’s awesome that you have a thirst to improve and you will.

Let’s revisit this post in a year. 😂.
Yeah. That's why I added the "Not right now, anyway" :) Being honest with myself I know when the season starts up again I may be right back to acquisition mode again.

Just teasing you. It’s awesome that you have a thirst to improve and you will.
Thanks!

They say people that sell for a living are the easiest to sell because they want to believe the sales pitch that is being told to them.
Golfers are second of the list.

1611592075095.png

Last edited:

Compare them to your forge tecs you had. I’m thinking of trying out the apex set or a combo set.

Compare them to your forge tecs you had. I’m thinking of trying out the apex set or a combo set.
I am not sure how comparable the Cobra Forged Tecs are to the Apex Pro. My sense is that the Apex Pro are not intended to give lots of help in ball speed in the short irons through wedge(s). I would think that the Apex Pro would compare more similarly to the Cobra Tour MIM irons. Both are supposed to be more of a players iron. I believe the better comparison would be the Standard Apex and the Forged Tec. I didn’t hit the standard Apex, though.

You're perfect the way you are.

I'm in the same boat. I have irons that are working for me and I know I'll follow the same path of replacing them in the next month or so.

Nothing wrong with you at all! Get what makes you happy and you like. :LOL:

Back