~QQ~

Reaction score
Handicap
So I was playing with a group last week and one of the guys comes over and asks if I think his ball is plugged. I know the area and it's that wiry thatching type grass where your ball will sit down under it sometimes. It's possible to get a good lie on it but this one was down. It's not plugged, just down right? We're playing skins so I wasn't about to concede. Plugged to me is in the mud below the ground/dirt surface.

I think he's still mad at me.:unsure:

Plugged ball would be in a bunker, wet fairway, on the wet green. If in the rough and under the grass I don't think that qualifies as a plugged ball. He could take an unplayable lie.

As you know, if it’s plugged then the imbedded ball rule is in effect, but, it doesn’t sound like it was truly imbedded.

Yeah, that's unlikely to actually be plugged.

Hopefully he gets over it eventually. If he says something that gives you the impression he's still salty, I think it's best to just ask sometimes. 'Are you still mad at me about ________'? Sometimes you get a snap answer that will make even that person chuckle, or you'll just get to talk through it in a different way because it's a little in the past, or something else that will round down the edges and let him move past it. I think it's good to try at least. After that, it's on him.

Sounds like you were right. Normally, I’d let someone move it out and just place it back on top, but if it’s for skins like you said, then I would’ve done the same as you.

So I was playing with a group last week and one of the guys comes over and asks if I think his ball is plugged. I know the area and it's that wiry thatching type grass where your ball will sit down under it sometimes. It's possible to get a good lie on it but this one was down. It's not plugged, just down right? We're playing skins so I wasn't about to concede. Plugged to me is in the mud below the ground/dirt surface.

I think he's still mad at me.:unsure:
I agree with your assessment.

Doesn't sound like a plugged ball to me. Just a crappy lie in high rough. In order for it to be plugged, it has to be embedded into the surface of the ground.

Played with him today. He's not salty about it. I think he was that day, but he's over it. Definitely not plugged. I wouldn't have asked for a ruling if it were my ball.

Thanks for the replies. :cool:

Sounds like a tough lie to me, not plugged.

Played with him today. He's not salty about it. I think he was that day, but he's over it. Definitely not plugged. I wouldn't have asked for a ruling if it were my ball.

Glad he's over it. Sounds like you made the right call, that didn't sound like a plugged ball from your description.

Glad he’s moved on as well... fair to ask if it’s a skins game! Maybe looking for an edge!

That's what I like to hear!

Nothing worse than salty playing partners. Awwwwkwaaaaard

Back