PMOA's GolfTec Game Improvement Journey

pmoa

Always Ponderin'
Reaction score
Handicap
So, I restarted my GolfTEC journey today. I am currently anywhere from 8 to 9 GHIN and I want to improve. I have been stuck here for a few seasons. Just like most golfers the bad habits are preventing me from improvign my game and stepping it up to the next level. I am now on the 6 month 15 lesson plan that will take me from my swing evaluation all the way to practice and drills to gain the muscle memory that we, as golfers, crave and want. My coach, Rob, up at the Timonium store is helping me with my game and I will be posting my journey here. I will give links to my videos with the commentary so that you can follow along. And much like how Grant went through his journey with GolfTEC. My progress will be shared with the community and let's see how I shape up come time for the outing.

Swing Eval: 2/8/13

My goals:
- Gain distance
- shave 3 strokes off my handicap
- improve ball striking

Initial Swing evaluation:
Cons
- Stance width is inside my shoulders
- opening clubface on the take away
- Getting the club head stuck on the steep downswing causing me to flip my hands
- Hands to close to the body at setup

Pros
- Good posture
- good follow through
- good body angles
- good tempo

I will share more as I gather my thoughts from my first hour today and hopefully there is some interest in seeing if these lessons will work out. Practice indoors will be key as I progress. Hope this helps with any questions you guys may have with the process!

Last edited:
I know you have some game dude, I'm subscribed to this one and plan to follow along. I will also request a video montage of all your lessons once your lesson pack is complete.

I love following these threads. Good luck working on your game!

I know you have some game dude, I'm subscribed to this one and plan to follow along. I will also request a video montage of all your lessons once your lesson pack is complete.

Thanks Dan. I liked following along with Grant, so we'll see how this goes. Montage will be saved fo sho

Great stuff man. Hope all is well with you! Will be looking forward to following along, as I will definitely be looking into lessons this spring/summer and Golftech is on the list of places to check out.

Perry!!! How the heck are you?

Good stuff PMOA, i will be following along for sure. My first trip to GOLFTEC was truly humbling to say the least.

Nice man, can't wait to see the progress!

added my swing eval to my first post compared to Ernie Els (who I want to emulate). It's kinda long, but the commentary is fantastic by my coach.

Looking forward to following along on your adventure pmoa

Congrats on your decision to go with the lessons. I think you will definitely see improvement. I'm looking forward to following along as well. If there was a GolfTEC closer to me, I would probably be doing the lessons as well.

Nice job Perry, I am going through the same lesson plan myself.

Good for you Perry, looks like quite a few making some major strides in their game

LtEvO TaPpEd

Nice, that looks really good. Hope you reach your goal with these lessons.

It said in the video we would see another angle to get a better visual. I did not see that. Am I missing something? Is there a link? Good Luck and thanks for sharing.

Good luck with your lessons. I hope you find something in there to help improve your game.

My first Lesson: Link 2/8/13

Lesson 2:

I was working with Coach Rob today on fixing the flying elbow and my habit of swaying into the back swing. He gave me a couple of drills to get to stop breaking down my left elbow with the over swing and attacking the ball from the inside. What you see below is the before and after. In the before video you will see my right leg straighten and left elbow breaking down and club going way past parallel. This was sucking all of my power out of my swing having to re-route and then flip the wrist to avoid chunking the ball at impact. How I shot in the 80's is a mystery and mostly luck with the timing! Another eye opening experience.

Before:

After:

After the lesson I continued to practice the drill and then proceeded with full swing in the launch monitors. Of course I plucked the new Callaway Xhot forged irons in the PXi 6.0 6 iron. The results were eye opening. I have never EVER hit my 6 iron 188-192 yards. Granted there is some loft creep and it is setup more like my 5 iron. The dispersion of course is not where it should be but, baby steps.

Looking good Perry...it's amazing what a difference little things make isnt it.

Looking good Perry...it's amazing what a difference little things make isnt it.

Thanks Tim. That little bit of change allowed me to not scoop at the ball and get me a major distance boost. Pretty eye opening.

Thanks Tim. That little bit of change allowed me to not scoop at the ball and get me a major distance boost. Pretty eye opening.

Yeah, I am fighting the same scoop motion...it's amazing we could play at all...LOL

Yeah, I am fighting the same scoop motion...it's amazing we could play at all...LOL

All he did was flatten out my plane a little bit to avoid the steep downswing that caused my scoop. He literally said, "You were gettin lucky" :)

Great stuff man. I'm really working on flattening my left wrist at the top of my downswing and giving myself a flatter downswing.

Sounds like you are seeing some great results and chances are I'll be hitting up golftec within the next few months as well!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Great stuff man. I'm really working on flattening my left wrist at the top of my downswing and giving myself a flatter downswing.

Sounds like you are seeing some great results and chances are I'll be hitting up golftec within the next few months as well!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Man if you flatten that wrist you will be bombing your shots. You are already a long knocker, just imagine Rory's 300 yard carry with the boom stick!

Back