Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Kind of a weird thread for a 35 year old to start (maybe :ROFLMAO:), but I'm absolutely curious what thoughts are around here on the trading card game, as well as the variants out there.

Last weekend, we spent some time with friends who have a 6 year old absolutely all in on Pokemon (movies and collecting cards). My Son Cal was instantly hooked after he gave him a Charmander and a Pikachu, and since then, we've begun his collection. I spent the next couple days trying to learn how to play it, and realized it's pretty tough for a four year old. That said, Pokemon Go is a mobile game that has been around for a couple years now, and this weekend Cal and I went around hunting and capturing them, and he LOVES it. Kind of cool that 'collect them all' is just as viable as actually playing the card game.

I have a feeling this will be a big part of my life for a while haha. Anyone else collect as a kid/current, or play pokemon with their kids?

I collected as a kid.. very heavily

I play Sword & Shield on the Switch as well

I collected as a kid.. very heavily

I play Sword & Shield on the Switch as well
It came in as I was leaving that kind of thing as a kid. My big collection back then was Pogs lmao. Those things were so stupid.

It came in as I was leaving that kind of thing as a kid. My big collection back then was Pogs lmao. Those things were so stupid.

Lol I had Pogs too... What a waste of money

Lol I had Pogs too... What a waste of money
I like that Pokemon has a variety of depth.... and there's huge card variance so you're not just getting the same stuff over and over again. Cal is going to have a MASSIVE collection I'm already calling it.

....also his Dad might be addicted to holos and reverse holos haha

My son was big into Pokemon and we started playing PokemonGo together. Since it was based off of Ingress which was an AR game that Google ran and was the underlying framework for PokemonGo, it was an easy game to pickup. All the same gym locations in one were the portals in the other.

I like that Pokemon has a variety of depth.... and there's huge card variance so you're not just getting the same stuff over and over again. Cal is going to have a MASSIVE collection I'm already calling it.

....also his Dad might be addicted to holos and reverse holos haha

I am struggling to keep up with all the new ones.. Playing this Sword and Shield game, every other Pokemon I catch, I have never heard of.

I can definitely recognize virtually all of the original 151, but I know there are soooooooooo many new ones now.

I am struggling to keep up with all the new ones.. Playing this Sword and Shield game, every other Pokemon I catch, I have never heard of.

I can definitely recognize virtually all of the original 151, but I know there are soooooooooo many new ones now.
So far he just likes the orange ones... And wants 10 Pikachu's in every pack haha

Also, I'm addicted to seeing what the rare card values are that he gets. We pulled two four dollar holos today haha

So far he just likes the orange ones... And wants 10 Pikachu's in every pack haha

Also, I'm addicted to seeing what the rare card values are that he gets. We pulled two four dollar holos today haha

Hahaha!

If you want to go down a rabbit hole, I know there lots of YouTubers who do pack openings...

I didn't do pokemon cards, but I played Pokemon red on my gameboy while riding the bus as a kid. Simpler times those were ?

Pogs. Wow. There’s money I’ll never get back.
Haven’t played any of the Pokémon games but I did almost download Pokémon go just for the novelty of it.

Stepson still likes doing this, will walk around town for an hour looking and capturing them. Gets himont of the house for awhile at least.

Stepson still likes doing this, will walk around town for an hour looking and capturing them. Gets himont of the house for awhile at least.
Yeah, I really like that there is actual motivation in the game to get out to a park and walk around.

For those that like the idea of PokemonGo from an AR perspective with the walking and such but looking for something a bit different/less cartoony, try this: https://www.ingress.com/

It was the precursor to PokemanGo that Google sponsored a few years back. I helped beta test it back in the day and its gotten better and better.

My nephews absolutely love it.
I used to watch the cartoons and play Pokemon Go for something to kill time.
Pokemon Go was crazy a couple years ago up at the lake, kids running around everywhere playing it.

I get nostalgic a couple times a year and play some of my old Pokémon games. I may have also impulse bought a switch on Black Friday to play the new Pokémon game. Haven’t bought it yet but I’m sure I’ll get it before I travel to Europe this summer

My nephews absolutely love it.
I used to watch the cartoons and play Pokemon Go for something to kill time.
Pokemon Go was crazy a couple years ago up at the lake, kids running around everywhere playing it.
I was surprised to see the game still clearly being played (from the app's perspective) this weekend. Lures and gyms happening.

I was surprised to see the game still clearly being played (from the app's perspective) this weekend. Lures and gyms happening.
I think it is still played, just not as trendy as it was when it first launched.

I honestly stopped playing it because it was so buggy in my area. Would finally see something/catch something awesome, and the game would crash.

Kind of a weird thread for a 35 year old to start (maybe :ROFLMAO:), but I'm absolutely curious what thoughts are around here on the trading card game, as well as the variants out there.

Last weekend, we spent some time with friends who have a 6 year old absolutely all in on Pokemon (movies and collecting cards). My Son Cal was instantly hooked after he gave him a Charmander and a Pikachu, and since then, we've begun his collection. I spent the next couple days trying to learn how to play it, and realized it's pretty tough for a four year old. That said, Pokemon Go is a mobile game that has been around for a couple years now, and this weekend Cal and I went around hunting and capturing them, and he LOVES it. Kind of cool that 'collect them all' is just as viable as actually playing the card game.

I have a feeling this will be a big part of my life for a while haha. Anyone else collect as a kid/current, or play pokemon with their kids?

If he ends up enjoying the Pokémon card game and collecting as he gets older, you better get ready for Magic the Gathering too haha. Pokémon is kind of like a gateway card game to Magic as they go from preteen to teen.

If he ends up enjoying the Pokémon card game and collecting as he gets older, you better get ready for Magic the Gathering too haha. Pokémon is kind of like a gateway card game to Magic as they go from preteen to teen.
hahaha, I definitely think he's going to be more of an intellect than an athlete, but we'll see.

I figure I have at least 6-7 years of good times with something like Pokemon before he starts getting into the crazier stuff.

Have two Grand Sons that are going deep into the collecting.....I need to learn as they seem very motivated by this.

I played Pokemon go for a little when it came out.. I wasn't into pokemon as a kid either (bit magic the gathering was my jam lol), but it was something to do outside

We played a few years back when my nephew's were younger.

Isn't there an iphone version in which you search for Pokeman and capture them? I remember that a few years ago with my own kids.

I never really got into the card collecting and game like many of my friends but any of the game boy games and n64 games I was all in on. I still bring out the old game boy and play red or yellow haha

Back