Votes: 32 45.1%

• Total voters

GraniteRoost

Flying Rocks
Albatross 2023 Club Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
6 Grint
Many popular irons now are offer with with set makeup that includes PW, AW, and GW. From there, many golfers might at a SW @ ~54-56 and LW @ 58-60*. A fallout question to Jacked Lofts of 2020 is - are you mentally prepared? Can you Handle Five Wedges?

My set goes PW, GW, 54, 58.

Thats about where I max out. For my game, I would rather have another club at the top of the bag, to give more options (ie. a hybrid, a utility iron, a FW)

I can. Like I said in that thread I don't get hung up on what's stamped on the clubs. I just make sure it's gapped correctly to help me score the best.

I'm currently trying the whole 5 wedge thing of course with older clubs. I'll see how it works & may go back to 4, only time will tell.

By name, I have 5. PW, GW, 52 deg ( AW ), 56 deg (SW), 60 deg (LW). That being said, my wedges spread the distance between 132 yards and 84 yards on full swings.

By name, I have 5. PW, GW, 52 deg ( AW ), 56 deg (SW), 60 deg (LW). That being said, my wedges spread the distance between 132 yards and 84 yards on full swings.

Solid setup (y)

I’ve had 4 wedges for a couple decades and that won’t go to 5 anytime soon. I typically keep my irons over 5 years and players sets with PW lofts of 46 or 47 degrees of loft will be available for decades to come I’m sure.

BTW, I’m not opposed to jacked lofts on the other end of my bag as I carry a 18 degree 4 iron and will likely also carry a Epic Forged 6 iron this year which means I’ll have two different 6 irons in my bag.

Last edited:
My gamer set is PW, GW, 52, 56 and 60 right now. PW and age Titleist AP1’s 52,56&60 Callaway Wedges.

My PTx Pro PW is 46*, then I have 50*-54*-58* Equalize wedges.

I have no need for a 5th wedge. I hardly use all 4 of my current wedges during a round. Truth be known, I could easily get by with just my PW, and SW.
I have this "issue" my set was 4-AW and I grabbed 3 SM7s from ebay because they were cheap. I've only ever had two of them in my bag and I can't hit them at all. I really should practice with them though!

I can barely hit the 3 I have well, not sure what I would do with 5 :LOL::LOL:

4 wedges seem to be my preferred set up, if I added a 5 wedge, I would have to pull a hybrid out and I don’t want to do that...

Technically I have 5 in my bag right now.
PW, GW, 54, 58, and 60

i acquired the 60. It has more bounce than the 58 and thus better suited to my game. Since I still only have 14 clubs, I keep thd 58 if I Har a really hard packed lie.

Really can't fathom needing an AW and GW. At least right now I can't but it seems to be trending that way...

I’m honestly of a mind to drop my gap wedge entirely

Unless they jack lofts to the point where PW basically becomes an 8-iron, no. I don't think I want to handle 5 wedges. I mean if I was playing a 6200, knew I'd have a short club into the green every hole, and had plenty of reps in with them to know exact distances, I could carry 6 wedges and just leave the long irons at home. That's about the only way I can see it making sense for me though.

I could, but I don’t need to. I’m a believer you gap by distance and not by loft.

I have gamed 5 in the past. Set PW 45 and AW 49, then 52, 56 and 60 Vokey's. Now I have set 45 and then 50, 54 and 58. Both sets worked, but 4 is enough and opens up another spot in the back.

I don’t really care what clubs cover my gaps/yardages.

Nope. I’ve got 4 and that’s enough for what I can play.

I already have 5 because my PW is 42*. I have 42*, 46*, 50*, 54*, and 58*. I want my next set to be D, FW, H, 6, 7, 8, 9, W, W, W, W, W, W, Putter.

if we can have a #bagfulofdrivers we can have a #bagfulofwedges

anything under 44* shouldn't be considered a wedge. currently PW - 45*,50*,54*,58*

Back