Poll: Can you Handle Five Wedges?

Five Wedges - Up or Down

• Yay

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • Nay

Votes: 32 45.1%

• Total voters
I play 5 wedges due to jacked lofts.

My P790 PW goes 140 yards and I could never get along with the set's AW. A typical GW goes 120 for me so I filled the gap with another 46° "gap" wedge. Strange because the set's PW is 45° but they slot perfectly 10 yards apart.

For whatever reason, my wedges space nicely as to distance hit yet their lofts are unconventional: 45°, 46°, 52°, 56°, 60°.

I'm currently playing PW/GW/54/58 as the 54/58 give me a 4* gap going up. If I needed to bring my wedges down a degree and add one up top I'd certainly do it, if that's what I felt or was told would suit my game. I'm working on the short game more and also headed to a Pelz Scoring school soon, so I'm looking forward to what they have to say about my set up. However, I feel with my current irons and gapping I'm most likely going to be adding a FW and changing hybrids at the top end rather than adding wedges. Kind of sounds like I'm unsure...

I play 5 wedges due to jacked lofts.

My P790 PW goes 140 yards and I could never get along with the set's AW. A typical GW goes 120 for me so I filled the gap with another 46° "gap" wedge. Strange because the set's PW is 45° but they slot perfectly 10 yards apart.

For whatever reason, my wedges space nicely as to distance hit yet their lofts are unconventional: 45°, 46°, 52°, 56°, 60°.

That can’t be right. Loft is the only thing that matters when looking at distance. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

For me I only carry 1 wedge right now. A 54°, I have two clubs stamped PW & AW, but really they’re my 10 and 11 iron.

Was playing 5, pw, gw@°49, 53,56,60. New set is pw, gw@°51 and will pick up 2 new wedges for the bottom after I see what I need in the spring.

I do not consider the set wedges as true wedges. To me they are just additional irons ... PW =10 iron , W =11 iron. I then have a 52 wedge and 56 wedge. This is just the way I play them. Others may play them differently. :)

Last edited:
Not necessary.

Currently play a PW, AW, SW all Apex then 52 and 58 MD4.

I am struggling with having four wedges. I did so much better when only using a PW and GW for most all short shots. I bought some Vokeys mid-year and really struggling getting them down. I know the problem is that I simply have not had the time to put in the practice with each wedge. Once I dial them in, I will be on target.

A buddy was tossing me some long balls over a sand bunker and having me hit them from a variety of lies and I was consistently popping them withing 10-15 foot of the pin, but on the course I did not carry over that consistency or accuracy. Just need time to get the practice in and when will that happen? arrrggghhh

The Titleist T400 line just came out, and the pitching wedge is set at 38º.

That's only 14º stronger than the pitching wedge with which I played in 1961. [The 9-iron was 48º.]

Because I'm thankfully not the "beloved leader" of this nation, nobody will be lethally injected for stamping PW on a 38º club.

However, I'm not sure how you play with fewer than five wedges when the first one is set at 38º.

We live in Bizarro World now.
'
I'm not sure that anybody is capable of being surprised by anything anymore.

That's only 14º stronger than the pitching wedge with which I played in 1961. [The 9-iron was 48º.]

Because I'm thankfully not the "beloved leader" of this nation, nobody will be lethally injected for stamping PW on a 38º club.

However, I'm not sure how you play with fewer than five wedges when the first one is set at 38º.

'
A friend of mine has a wedge and it simply has an E on it, or maybe that is a W. It is a weird stamped letter. At any rate, he was killing this thing and one day I walked up to him with my PW and said lets compare these clubs. Guess what that sucker was lofted like my PW or maybe a tad lower and all along he was thinking it was around 50 degrees or even higher lofted. So it was no wonder he was hitting it that good. Lofts these days are all over the map.

A friend of mine has a wedge and it simply has an E on it, or maybe that is a W. It is a weird stamped letter. At any rate, he was killing this thing and one day I walked up to him with my PW and said lets compare these clubs. Guess what that sucker was lofted like my PW or maybe a tad lower and all along he was thinking it was around 50 degrees or even higher lofted. So it was no wonder he was hitting it that good. Lofts these days are all over the map.

Older Hogan pitching wedges had an "E" stamped on them, while several brands have had "W."

Lofts are REALLY all over the map if you back to the beginning of the iron numbering system.

'

I would expect that someone with a very low swing speed who hits that 38 deg the same distance other people hit a 54 deg wont be playing 5 wedges. No need to due to distance gaps not needing to be filled.

I would think I might need another long club or I could work with at least four wedges. I manage with three.

I can barely handle the PW and SW...I only hit my 53 on the eve of the blood moon

I would expect that someone with a very low swing speed who hits that 38 deg the same distance other people hit a 54 deg wont be playing 5 wedges. No need to due to distance gaps not needing to be filled.

True enough. Somebody who launches rockets, however, might for whatever reason like the T400 model or something similar as well. He/she will need a bagful of wedges. The first three, after all, are really 7, 8, and 9-irons.

Call everything a wedge, I don't care. I'll still play golf.

I can see myself playing less clubs here very soon the way the lofts are going.

I only play 12 now and really don't use my 5I at all which is a 6I today.

But never say never!!!

Call everything a wedge, I don't care. I'll still play golf.

Very reasonable attitude.
Playing the game and having a deep interest in the game's equipment are two different endeavors.

Most people who take a real interest in equipment trends, just on an academic or intellectual basis, usually play the game.

The converse isn't necessarily true.
The players take interest in getting equipment with which they can play batter, but otherwise don't think about it as much.

I go 45, 50, 54, 58 now.

If my next set of irons has a lower PW loft like 44 or 43, I'd just go 43/44, 48, 52, 58.

True enough. Somebody who launches rockets, however, might for whatever reason like the T400 model or something similar as well. He/she will need a bagful of wedges. The first three, after all, are really 7, 8, and 9-irons.

I doubt anyone launching rockets is looking at the T400 as an option to fit their game. I am not the fastest swing on the forum but I couldn't play T300 or T400 because they would go to far so no need to worry about how a 38 deg PW affects my wedge distance because I would never hit it. Instead, I fit more in the T100 or T200 range because of my swing parameters. Not every set of irons us design for every golfer to use.

I doubt anyone launching rockets is looking at the T400 as an option to fit their game. I am not the fastest swing on the forum but I couldn't play T300 or T400 because they would go to far so no need to worry about how a 38 deg PW affects my wedge distance because I would never hit it. Instead, I fit more in the T100 or T200 range because of my swing parameters. Not every set of irons us design for every golfer to use.

Yep.

As was mentioned in another thread, Titleist has 10 sets of irons out right now. There is a set for everyone, if you have a high swing speed, it is doubtful the T400 is for you. They created those irons for someone who needed help with distance.

Back on topic, I might switch to 2 specialty wedges from 3 once I get 1/2 season in. Need to track how many shots I use each one for. I have 10-12 yard gap between them now which is nice but if I need a long club up to fit between the Dr/5w/4i sequence, I could drop down to 54 and 58 I think. For now, id rather have more options in my bag at the low end than the high end.

Nobody makes clubs for older, slower-swing-speed players with good swings.

Look at the new Cobra drivers.

The lie angles get more upright as the lofts get higher because they think that all slower swing speed players cast over the top.

Good fit was easier with lower tech. As the clubs got more technologically sophisticated, it became harder to get as many fit options.

Slower swing speed seniors might like modern, high tech clubs with fit metrics not aimed at beginners.

You can't adjust the lie on your irons? I play all my irons at least 1 deg flat regardless of the iron type/style. This includes my wedge choices.

Back