Poll: Can you Handle Five Wedges?

Five Wedges - Up or Down

• Yay

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • Nay

Votes: 32 45.1%

• Total voters
Given that many PW are now really 8 irons....sure why not

anything under 44* shouldn't be considered a wedge. currently PW - 45*,50*,54*,58*
That's pretty close to mine..44, 49, 54, 58 (`57.5). In the "good old days" that would be called 9 iron, PW, SW LW (though most probably went from PW to 55 or 56 and that was it).

I'm out of the loop guys... what the heck are the lofts of those sets that have PW, GW and AW. Till this thread I thought the terms AW and GW were interchangeable.

Including a PW I've carried 4 wedges since the 90s and I see myself needing 5 or even 6 wedges with these new lofts.

When I looked at the new T400s I initially thought 7-p48 then I would need 3 more wedges

4 wedges seem to be my preferred set up, if I added a 5 wedge, I would have to pull a hybrid out and I don’t want to do that...
Agree with this. I would need to significantly increase my distances to even think about it.

Nobody makes clubs for older, slower-swing-speed players with good swings.

Look at the new Cobra drivers.

The lie angles get more upright as the lofts get higher because they think that all slower swing speed players cast over the top.

Good fit was easier with lower tech. As the clubs got more technologically sophisticated, it became harder to get as many fit options.

Slower swing speed seniors might like modern, high tech clubs with fit metrics not aimed at beginners.

Hmmm, can't say I've ever heard a fitter say this.

I have no need right now, but I would/could do it. Recently I've been thinking about pulling my 5w and dropping in a 60 or 62, mostly for the hell of it not because of an actual need. Currently running PW, AW, 54, & 58.

Right now I have 4 wedges in my bag, but I have played 5 before and may go back to it. I enjoyed the yardage and versatility options that the 5 gave me.

Many popular irons now are offer with with set makeup that includes PW, AW, and GW. From there, many golfers might at a SW @ ~54-56 and LW @ 58-60*. A fallout question to Jacked Lofts of 2020 is - are you mentally prepared? Can you Handle Five Wedges?
Aren't AW and GW the same? Some sets call them AW and some GW, but unless I'm missing something they are the same club.

I have always liked carrying a 64 degree because I can. Long iron/ fw end of the bag is more for just finding the green or getting close usually a par 5. For that I can choke down for that rare occasion.
PW 45, AW 50, 56, 60 and 64.

My old set of irons I had 5 wedges (PW, GW, 52/56/60) but this new set has my gap wedge at 50 deg so now I'm more on 4 with PW, GW, 54/58

The course I played in college in NH is a course where you pretty much can’t hit driver. So I elected to take my driver, 3 wood and 5 wood out of the bag. I rolled with 3-PW. 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, putter.

A few here might’ve played it. The Shattuck in Jaffrey NH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Could I handle it? Sure if that was what was needed to cover gaps at the short stick end of the bag. I could also see myself going the other way, setting up with PW, gap/utility wedge and then a 60*. That would give me an open spot at the top of the bag.

The course I played in college in NH is a course where you pretty much can’t hit driver. So I elected to take my driver, 3 wood and 5 wood out of the bag. I rolled with 3-PW. 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, putter.

A few here might’ve played it. The Shattuck in Jaffrey NH

Believe it or not, I have played Shattuck. My father's side of the family is from Peterborough, Jaffrey and Keene area. :) Favorite shot was a shot into a granite bowl ( forgot which hole ) and if you hit a bad shot, its like a pinball machine. :)

Believe it or not, I have played Shattuck. My father's side of the family is from Peterborough, Jaffrey and Keene area. :) Favorite shot was a shot into a granite bowl ( forgot which hole ) and if you hit a bad shot, its like a pinball machine. :)

There’s 2 different ones. Either #5 the first par 5 or #17, a short par 4. #5 has rock all behind the green and if you go long or thin it, it’s going to ricochet off the rock, back in play hopefully. #17, I can’t remember if there’s rock. It’s a tempting short par 4, that goes way down hill and way uphill to the green. The elevated T and green are about level. Fun course but if you spray it you best bring a buttload of balls

I'm happy with my 4.
PW 46
GW 50
SW 54
LW 60 (going to get a 58)

I play a very traditional iron set up and I play 5 wedges.

https://www.golfadvisor.com/article...-courses-in-the-u-s-according-to-your-reviews according to golf advisor it’s 4 of the top 25 hardest course in the country. I believe it. It was my home course in college when I was on the team. Article is from June 20th 2018

I don't need 5 wedges...I wish I did.

I've been thinking about this jacked loft topic, and have changed my mind a bit.

Let's say I go to a fitting, and am hitting my 150 club a certain way... For argument's sake let's say it's a 7i - certain dispersion, peak height, carry yardage, descent angle, spin #. Now I grab a different 7i, stronger lofted, and it goes a full club more - 160-165 yards, with the same or better dispersion, peak height, carry yardage, descent angle, spin #. That's going to outperform my set's 6i. That would be my criteria to move to stronger lofted clubs and, in this example, possibly add wedges. I'd be a fool not to.

As long as all my gaps are covered, I don't care.

I've been thinking about this jacked loft topic, and have changed my mind a bit.

Let's say I go to a fitting, and am hitting my 150 club a certain way... For argument's sake let's say it's a 7i - certain dispersion, peak height, carry yardage, descent angle, spin #. Now I grab a different 7i, stronger lofted, and it goes a full club more - 160-165 yards, with the same or better dispersion, peak height, carry yardage, descent angle, spin #. That's going to outperform my set's 6i. That would be my criteria to move to stronger lofted clubs and, in this example, possibly add wedges. I'd be a fool not to.

My setup for the last couple years has been 5 wedges with 2 set wedges and then a 52,56, and 60

Back