Polo Shirt Buttons: How Many Is Too Many?

How many buttons should a polo shirt have?

• Total voters

BigDill

2023 Morgan Cup - Team Hackers - Cobra Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am starting to develop a dislike of 4 button polo shirts. Some of my shirts from Stitch and Grayson have 4 buttons which brings the placket (that is what the opening where the buttons are is called) down to the center of my chest. It looks so long, like an arrow to my face. I prefer the polos that have three buttons so that the placket only extends down to the top of my chest, more or less.

Do you have a preference on the amount of buttons? Do I have a blind spot to people who need the extra button opening to fit the shirt over their head?

Here is a version of the 4 button from Stitch:

2020_january_track_STITCHnavy_image_2_x800.jpg

Here is a three button, also from Stitch:

2020_July_dot_marina_image2_24120dc1-026b-48f5-a04f-dbd2f3d043f1_x800.jpg

Two at the most, because if there are more I feel the need to show off my...

3 is fine. No reason for 4 buttons.

I like 4 but spaced closer than the gap on 3. If that makes sense. So if 3 spans 5”, 4 spaced at no more than 6” from top button to bottom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 and done. But at the very least the bottom one needs to be buttoned. The middle is personal preference buttoned/unbuttoned. That’s a whole ‘nother discussion though.

Last edited:
On that note, why even have a button on the collar? How many actually use that button? 🤔

Just felt my Puma polo I currently have on.....I say whatever Puma has....and that is three.

I'm more concerned with the placement of the second button. Some brands have it too close to the collar.

3 should be the max

I want snap buttons like Tiger Woods gets on all of his shirts.....

normally go with a nice 3 buttoner... but when i want to be fancy 4 buttons on a stitch polo... Chefs kiss

3 gets my vote. I have a couple Stitch & RLX polos that are 4 button and while they look great it is just a bit too much.

Would a zip be acceptable? Then one could have more control.

3 is the most IMO.

I like 3 (although I voted 2 :unsure:), but the 3 has to be done right. I generally like UA shirts, but their button placement is suspect. Buttoning 2 is often too much, and 1 is not enough.

3 buttons is the standard, 4 is meh depending on the shirt.. after that it becomes a button up

3 is the right number. 4 is way many and 2 can lead to a weird cut in the collar imo.

4 is one too many.

3 is the max and also the perfect number.... I have quite a few with 2 buttons also but really just depends where the button is. 4 is a no-no

Two? How is two an option for too many? Look.....as long as the shirt looks good and is made well 3-4 is fine. Four sometimes can look ridiculous though if morons button alll of them up all the way re: Bubba Watson #idiot

4e1f0ccc4bd7c8f134160000

Hahahahaha...I mean dude must wear chokers at home.🤷‍♂️
Two? How is two an option for too many? Look.....as long as the shirt looks good and is made well 3-4 is fine. Four sometimes can look ridiculous though if morons button alll of them up all the way re: Bubba Watson #idiot

4e1f0ccc4bd7c8f134160000
All he needs is a bowtie to complete the PeeWee Herman look.🤮

Back