Polo Shirt Buttons: How Many Is Too Many?

How many buttons should a polo shirt have?

• Total voters

I like 2 the most but that seems harder to find these days in a performance shirt so I have now adopted 3 as the new standard.

I voted 3. I like 3. 4 I think is too many. 2 I think is not enough. If it's a 2 button polo, the neck might not be comfortable enough for me to pull over my head without taking off my glasses. I hate having to do that.

The problem with you 4 button shirt in the first photo is the pattern doesn't follow the placket. It contrasts and makes it obvious. The placket on the 3 button is the same color and hides.

I think 4 is the max. Some 4 button polos from Travis Matthew are pretty nice. Overall I prefer the three button classic look.

What...no love for the 6-button polo? What's the point of even having a polo if you can't spend all day putting it on?

7148Xc-ncML._AC_UL1500_.jpg

I think three is good. Not sure I have seen too many two button ones but I'm sure that would be fine too.

I voted 2, but am okay with three also - no more than 3, though. I agree they could get rid of the collar button - I've never once in my life used that button on a polo.

I am a 3 button or less guy. I do have a 4 button shirt from Stitch and I like it but I would prefer the 3 button version.

Any more than 3 and I feel like I have a full button shirt on.

4 is way too many..... 3 is good. 2 is ok depending on where they start/location of the buttons.

No more than 3, unless the shirt it just that awesome.

4 seems like its gone too far..

2 is not enough, 4 is too many, 3 is just right

3 with only 2 buttoned up. Doesn’t need to choke you and doesn’t need to look like a v neck.

I like 3 the best, but I don't mind 4. I always have 2 unbuttoned if anyone is curious and I don't understand how anyone could button the top button. So stiff looking.

I consider three to be the only answer....

Unless it is the length of a three button and they just don't bother with adding the top button to the final product, as it should never be used haha

I think three is the sweet spot. Two isn't enough, and four can be cumbersome...

And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."

Giving this a bump...anyone notice a bunch of guys at the American Century today with their top button buttoned? Looks weird at best. A bit to stuck up of a look for me. The Curry's, Mahomet, everyone seems to be doing it.

Back