Pondering a Putter: State Your Case THP

BigDill

2023 Morgan Cup - Team Hackers - Cobra Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I recently switched to a traditional style putter and have been averaging about 3 putts per hole, which is not great. I love the look and of my SWAG Suave Too, but boy have I been struggling with it. So I think it's time to move on to something else. But here is the catch: I have always had the most success with a center shafted putter. I was rolling the Ping Sigma 2 Kushin-C for a while courtesy of THP and really liked it, so its going back in the bag for now. But I also rolled @X.Man's black SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange and saw instant results with the built in alignment features. So this got me thinking.....what else is out there that I don't know about? So I ask you, my friend here on THP to try to convince me which putter I should try. I have thoughts, but I want to hear yours.

Think I should use a mallet? How about a mid-mallet? Maybe some variation? Think I should try a Truss? Should I try a different type of putter or bend? I want to know your suggestions, but more importantly, I want to know why you think your suggestion is the right one for me.

My current ponder list:

SeeMore Mini Giant Full Flange
Tour Edge Wingman 03
Odyssey Stoke Lab V-Line CS
SWAG Savage Too
PING Sigma 2 Kushin-C (keeping it in play for the second year)

So there you have it. State your case and you may just convince me.

I would love to see you try a Tour Edge Wingman, Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten or something of that shape. Seems so easy to get the ball rolling on line with those.

SeeMore Original FGP Mallet
SeeMore Nashville mFGP2
SeeMore PT3

Not a big mallet - compact, just the right size. I like it over the larger SeeMore mallets.

Same shape - but mFGP2 is all milled, PT3 lacks sightlines, FGP Mallet is cast with milled face.

Why? If you like RST and a soft feel, these offer confidence - a used PT3 or FGP Mallet is about $80-100 on the bay.

I discovered a few months ago that I also put better with a center shafted putter and my favorite is the Odyssey black 2MCS but all of these seem to be working extremely well right now.😀

E76309D9-8D03-44EF-A710-1A80A24F0F1D.jpeg

I've rolled the Odyssey center shafted and it's very, very good. That's my recommendation for ya. The Seemore was also nice but I liked the insert better on the Odyssey. My $.02

I will always advocate for a mid mallet. I think it;s the perfect blend between a traditional blade type of putter, but with MOI to help as well. My preference is the 1W or 330M shape from Odyssey. I know the 1W isnt a traditional mid mallet, but it works for me along with a notchback/toulon columbus style shape.

I vote for the SeeMore. I have a regular mFGP deep flange that I have been rolling indoors that past couple of days and will be in the bag when I get back to the course.

I'm just going to throw this out there. I've always had soft spot for the unusual when it comes to things, this putter fits that bill. It has an amazing feel in my hands, and the way it looks at address reminds me of a center shafted putter. I've seen a few people roll one of these putters over the years and thought them pretty weird looking. I happened to be in a PGASS not too long ago and there was a display area in the putter section with a number of putters being displayed. They had both blade and mallet types on display. I tried a couple of different ones and decided to give one of the blades a try. Justin Rose uses one on tour. The Axis 1 putters are really amazing, also love the align system on the top of the putter. I picked up the Axis 1 Joey. This putter will be in my bag when the season finally starts here in Chicago. One other thing, I've found that I have amazing control with either lag puts or short puts. Just love this putter. If you have a PGASS around you're area go in a give one a try.

Axis1.JPG

I was a life long blade putter. I never felt a mallet looked right. but then I rolled the EXO #7 and my distance and control was so so good, it will be tough for me to switch back. So I would definitely look at mallet options.

I will always advocate for a mid mallet. I think it;s the perfect blend between a traditional blade type of putter, but with MOI to help as well. My preference is the 1W or 330M shape from Odyssey. I know the 1W isnt a traditional mid mallet, but it works for me along with a notchback/toulon columbus style shape.

I agree with Mike. I think for you, I would venture into the mid mallet and ease into mallets. Don't want to go full-on mallet right away. :D

I think once you find a shape that resonates with you and a head that feels good to hit. Can't go wrong with the Toulon's or the SeeMores. Or you can try the Truss and try it out give us your thoughts.

I would not be helpful in this argument. Good luck.

As a guy who has always played a blade and prefer a blade I will say getting fit changed my mind a bit.
I did get a Double Wide at the Grandaddy, best of both worlds, a blade that is also a mallet type. Plenty of heft and forgiveness and is easy on the eye. Then I was bullied by my team into trying a Ten, just wow. It isn't as bad as I thought it would be, super forgiving and high MOI. Rolls super smooth and I have made a lot of putts with it.
I would say go somewhere you can try as many as possible.

@KEV what model of SeeMore did you pick up in Myrtle Beach? Whatever it is, it sounds like it might work in this situation. Similar issues...

As a guy who has always played a blade and prefer a blade I will say getting fit changed my mind a bit.
I did get a Double Wide at the Grandaddy, best of both worlds, a blade that is also a mallet type. Plenty of heft and forgiveness and is easy on the eye. Then I was bullied by my team into trying a Ten, just wow. It isn't as bad as I thought it would be, super forgiving and high MOI. Rolls super smooth and I have made a lot of putts with it.
I would say go somewhere you can try as many as possible.
Are you sure you aren’t talking about me? I match your experience. Never been a bad butter but really saw some gains moving to my Double Wide. Haven’t purchased my own Ten yet but every time I putt with one I have great results.

Are you sure you aren’t talking about me? I match your experience. Never been a bad butter but really saw some gains moving to my Double Wide. Haven’t purchased my own Ten yet but every time I putt with one I have great results.
You need to get a Ten!!!

@KEV what model of SeeMore did you pick up in Myrtle Beach? Whatever it is, it sounds like it might work in this situation. Similar issues...
This little SeeMore beauty was killer for me last week. I know two rounds is a small sample size but I'd easily recommend it.

CFB671D6-D022-4700-A126-16FDA33A0A82.jpegA27C51E3-7269-4CD1-A16A-820D21C07ED5.jpeg063B2557-BCD0-4247-8D45-0EBB7DBF363F.jpeg

I'd go for the Mini Giant. The copper weight slugs are distinctive, the design and alignment functional, and its a piece of machined art. I've wanted one for a couple years now and need one already.

I thought that the Wingman would have been a very popular choice because of price and design.

Sounds like you need a trip to a Sam Puttlab machine. Best way to really know what your stroke is doing and what will best work for you.

The Ten is an amazingly, ridiculously, stupidly good putter for me. But putting is such an individual thing that I hesitate to make recommendations to anybody else based just on my results. With that said, it's definitely worth at least giving one a roll, IMO.

Last edited:
Back