pondering building my own hitting net...

Check the link below. You can order any size you want with different thickness and specific edging.

This is the one I am thinking of building

Attachments

• D070266D-40C4-4875-8784-E72D8EDCCAFA.jpeg
    D070266D-40C4-4875-8784-E72D8EDCCAFA.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 12
I built my own several years ago. I made the frame out of chain link fencing pipe (5 pcs) and used 4 metal connectors to put it together.

The netting came from a war surplus store.

The metal frame lasted for ever. I could set it up, or take it down in 5 minutes or less.

The netting lasted for several months (24 ?) of daily use. On the ball impact area, I hung an easily replaceable, heavy material bath towel to protect the netting. If not for the desert sun, the netting would have lasted much, much longer.

I used 2X2s, and plywood to build a hitting station. I left a slot open that would take a full piece of real.sod/grass to hit balls off of. Nothing like using the real thing to hit balls off of. When seasonal sod wasn't available, I had an insert of synthetic turf, glued to a piece of 2" thick foam I would use in place of the sod.

Of course having a this hitting station eventually meant I needed to add a 14' X 14' foot chipping/putting green. That's another story in itself.

Hey @chile, just put in the order. Net is from justfornets (Tampa based which may not be ideal for you), fittings from tarps.com and bungees and carabiners at amazon. Once everything arrives will buy the 1" pipes and start cutting them down.

@obedt are you going to video the setup? A hitting station sounds like a neat idea. I hope it works for you

@obedt are you going to video the setup? A hitting station sounds like a neat idea. I hope it works for you
Video may not be friendly given my lack of skills, but can photo every step. I’ll document any screw up for sure :)

Awesome! I know several here would want to see how it's done(y)

Got everything in. Looks like a weekend project.

CF8A3CB0-9910-4E24-83BB-ADED87B2C1FF.jpeg
Progress

Chile, I really liked the net from justfornets. @JB they’re Tampa based so if you’re ever in need of quality netting they may be able to help. They recommended double netting for the back panel. I went 3/4” spacing as well.

B5860E0A-8E02-42D9-AE08-0F715BD8EA65.jpeg

The entire structure is too big for my space. I live in a dense area though and wanted to make sure there was no way I would fly a ball over or around the net. Given my (lack of) skill level I had to err on the safe side.

986FEB5D-3905-4573-93F0-79A0319B4B98.jpeg
One major concern is how to take it down and set it back up quickly for when we have people over. I think I’ll have to loosen about half the pipe structure which will be a pain.

Chile, I really liked the net from justfornets. @JB they’re Tampa based so if you’re ever in need of quality netting they may be able to help. They recommended double netting for the back panel. I went 3/4” spacing as well.

View attachment 8942029

The entire structure is too big for my space. I live in a dense area though and wanted to make sure there was no way I would fly a ball over or around the net. Given my (lack of) skill level I had to err on the safe side.

View attachment 8942030
One major concern is how to take it down and set it back up quickly for when we have people over. I think I’ll have to loosen about half the pipe structure which will be a pain.

How heavy is the enclosure to move? You said it'd be a pain to take down/set up, but I'd imagine moving is probably not ideal either

View attachment 8942029

View attachment 8942030
This is very legit! Can you move it somewhere?

How heavy is the enclosure to move? You said it'd be a pain to take down/set up, but I'd imagine moving is probably not ideal either
This is very legit! Can you move it somewhere?
My backyard is so tight, moving it is a hassle. I mean it's fairly heavy; the netting itself is heavier than expected, but can be moved by a single person given the space.

We have been looking at a backyard remodel; there's about 8-10 feet of lost space to the right of that picture. We'd have to build up a containment wall which would drive the construction costs up. If we do that, I would move this to a corner of the property and maybe even put in a screen to project to. That carlofet.com site is an easy way to spend money

View attachment 8942029

View attachment 8942030
Nice looking setup!

My backyard is so tight, moving it is a hassle. I mean it's fairly heavy; the netting itself is heavier than expected, but can be moved by a single person given the space.

We have been looking at a backyard remodel; there's about 8-10 feet of lost space to the right of that picture. We'd have to build up a containment wall which would drive the construction costs up. If we do that, I would move this to a corner of the property and maybe even put in a screen to project to. That carlofet.com site is an easy way to spend money

Caster wheels and U clamps

Back