Poor external rotation

Onder43

Reaction score
Hi

Had loads of lessons and they all tell me i need to flatten the shaft and try and get my hands deeper on the way back but....i have poor external rotation of right shoulder and my back swing is steep and across the line. Think daly, couples position

I can play good golf (i am off 3) but fed up of lessons trying to get me into positions i can’t do - anyone else know tips for steep swings that can be functional or am i doomed 😀

I do not, but I'm listening to this thread. Welcome to the forum @Onder43

Maybe, time for a TPI assessment with a certified PT and or trainer? I am going this route and will report back.

Hi

Had loads of lessons and they all tell me i need to flatten the shaft and try and get my hands deeper on the way back but....i have poor external rotation of right shoulder and my back swing is steep and across the line. Think daly, couples position

I can play good golf (i am off 3) but fed up of lessons trying to get me into positions i can’t do - anyone else know tips for steep swings that can be functional or am i doomed 😀
My guess is that you are doomed. When I did the ER shoulder thing in my 60's I turned to baseball shoulder exercises and stretches. Golf lessons usually identify swing issues but rarely provide the how to incorporate the changes in the golf swing. The fascia of the body needs to be changed through exercises and stretches over a considerable time with thousands of repetitions of the movement before it becomes a permanent movement in the swing.
ER of the shoulder in golf comes with transverse adduction of the shoulder (trying to get the right elbow touch the left elbow). With steep backswings the right arm needs to rotate clockwise (for a righty) in order to keep the right elbow in touch with the left elbow. Then during transition the feeling is the left hand pushing the right hand backwards levering the right elbow forward.

What problems are you finding with your swing results?

I found the easiest way to get better rotation and through the ball. As usual we all have great and horrible days on the course and know our swing feels. I can always recall my best swings how they felt and the great results that went a long with them. It usually had to do with the feeling of clearing around my chin but it was so hard to recreate the feel and the smoothness of those good days. After really trying to keep my chin up and get around it with horrible results I saw some episode on golf channel with an older golfer mentioning how he keeps his chin aligned with his trail foot and that it helps with increased rotation and getting a better back swing and on through the ball. So I cruised around YouTube looking up swings of great players and noticed Jack Nicklaus, Ben Hogan, Jordan Spieth all have done this. I also noticed that Dustin Johnson and many others align their chin to the trail foot when going through the back swing. I tried to simply point my chin at trail foot before my back swing and it’s a total game changer for me. No longer am I getting hung up around the chin and now I have both a great back and forward swing through the ball.

I found the easiest way to get better rotation and through the ball. As usual we all have great and horrible days on the course and know our swing feels. I can always recall my best swings how they felt and the great results that went a long with them. It usually had to do with the feeling of clearing around my chin but it was so hard to recreate the feel and the smoothness of those good days. After really trying to keep my chin up and get around it with horrible results I saw some episode on golf channel with an older golfer mentioning how he keeps his chin aligned with his trail foot and that it helps with increased rotation and getting a better back swing and on through the ball. So I cruised around YouTube looking up swings of great players and noticed Jack Nicklaus, Ben Hogan, Jordan Spieth all have done this. I also noticed that Dustin Johnson and many others align their chin to the trail foot when going through the back swing. I tried to simply point my chin at trail foot before my back swing and it’s a total game changer for me. No longer am I getting hung up around the chin and now I have both a great back and forward swing through the ball.

What do you mean by aligning your chin with the trail foot? Like Nicklaus who turned his head before swinging or something else?

For me, chin pointing to trail foot not the ball. So I turn my neck and align chin with trail foot before start my back swing. Again, for me it works.

Hi

Onder43 - their is a very simple solution to your problem if you have a basic knowledge of human genetics . Those that we are ALL born with and take for granted. Our HANDS are the dominant parts of our body. More than 40 % of the brain is dedicated to it’s-HANDS .Their is a direct connection between your brain and your hands — particularly your dominant one and it’s dominant - thumb. You can stick your dominant thumb in your ear or rear or anywhere else , but you can’t hide it from your brain and most body movements are controlled by the path your hands want to travel.
The HANDS are genetically designed to come back to the center of your chest in a palms together position and / or to bring food to your mouth . AND - they ALWAYS WILL . Unfortunately, for we golfers we have to force our HANDS to perform in an exact opposite and foreign manner that they are genetically designed. That is - to not allow them to roll over and turn down from the very start of our DS.
Keeping the dominant thumb rotated CW as far as possible / palm facing upward / little pinkie finger horizontally above the dominant thumb / butts of the hands leading during the entire DS causes the right elbow to drop into the right hip area — AND it serves another huge purpose which you might relate to - this CW rotation of your dominant right thumb forces the trapezius muscle behind your powerful shoulder bone ( Scapula ) to hold the scapula bone back so your HANDS and ARMS will have a clear unobstructed path in which to pull the clubface into the ball on a flatter inclined arc from inside. You can prove this to yourself simply by rotating your dominant thumb CW around you until you feel discomfort in your upper arm. Your shoulder will rotate back with it .
These are not theories or my opinion . These are FACTS . FACTS that the brilliant researcher and author, Gerry Hogan . from Australia discovered and taught me . I take NO credit ! Just passing it on .
Good luck !

Back