Possible Rule Change: Hit The Flag It Counts

Hard pass for me

I'm against this change just for the sake of putting if nothing else. It takes a degree of skill to get the line and speed right to hole a putt. Slamming a putt to take out all the break and hitting the pin and counting it as "holed" negates the advantage good putters have.

Nope. No good.

I could get behind this for casual fun rounds, but i'd probably vote against for competitive rounds. I hit the pin 3' in the air from 110yd last weekend, I got the benefit that my ball didn't bounce as far away as if it had missed the flag, but definitely wouldn't have gone in. So i think the fact you get a benefit (less resultant distance) and the fact it changes the spirit a bit too much its a no for me when scores count. But like your thought process.

This rule change would be a big NO for me.

I can't get onboard with that concept. For the record, no one should be counting a shot as holed simply because it "hit the flagsick". Now, if it hit the stick and "would have reasonably been holed if not for the flagstick/rasied cup/inverted cup/etc.", then by all means, count it.

Not under current guidance.
I completely agree, as did one of the owners of our course when I was speaking to him

I'm not down with this one. Takes away some of the finesse of the game, and there's that element of satisfaction hearing the ball drop into the cup.

No. Holed is holed. A few weeks ago I played with these 3 seniors and the course these plastic rings around the hole where if it hits the ring, it couldnt and it was kind of a joke because the 3 old guys were smoking their putts through the break and the ball would hit the ring and ricochet 10' off of it but they were always like "that counts!!!!" and were so proud of themselves.
I wouldnt be a fan of it being like that all the time because thats not what holed means and thats not golf, IMO. If anything, it would result in artifically low handicaps.

Sorry, but I can't get behind this one. I even had 1 hit the pin hard just hard enough to reject it & leave it on the lip of the cup this weekend. Frustrating, yes but bot enough where I would want that all the time.

Sorry, it's a no from me. I hate raised cups enough as it is.

It was discussed in our group that if the ball hit the pin, it was in. As we played, one player would purposely smash his put to actually hit the pin (any sound of the ball hitting the pin it was counted in). I do not like and will not like the idea of hitting the pin and its in. It somewhat takes the skill of reading greens out of the equation as smash it hard enough to take out the break and hit the pin. The action really did not sit well with the rest of our group. So NO hit the pin and in for me.

Ummm, not my cup of tea!
It’s in..... when it’s in.
I ha w played with the foam noodle and the cup lifter and the raised cup
Not a fan of the raised cup
Noodle not bad
Cup lifter= WINNER winner chicken dinner

Today we went out and on the 13th hole one of our playing partners hit the pin from about 70 and the ball bounced off the pin and off the green and he had about 15 feet off the green for his next shot. No birdie although on the 18th hole he did make a birdie and it was the correct way he got on the par 5 in three and made the putt. ;)

While I can see a point you are trying to make, it will and should never happen. Can't get on board with that.

No.

The best thing Ive seen was a circle around the hole like 2 ft away and it said if you hit the cup and it stays within this hole it counts as holed. That kept people from just BANGING it into the cup

no
when i go to the course i actually like being at the course, so pace of play for this matter is not affected. i cant see banging it off the pin from any distance is helpful and would help me get off the course quicker, why even go then. a moving pace is great but speed play is not for me.

This would save me 0 shots a year anyways. I can't even remember the last time I hit a flagstick on a shot other than a putt lol

Not a fan. Golf is a ball and 18 holes in the ground for a reason.

I can't get on board with that one unfortunately if I am reading it right?
So are you saying if the ball hits the flag halfway up after a bounce it is considered holed? If so, then definitely not for me

We have had a query at our club as we had raised cups up until this weekend, and one of the guys hit the cup from his tee shot (which finished a good 20ft away) and is asking if it is a hole in one

Our local rules at the one course like this is if it touches the cup in any way it counts. I loved it from a scoring perspective. Just ram that 10 footer like your loading a cannon.

I would put a one on the card but I wouldn’t count it as a HIO.

I’m generally pin hunting when I’m playing. Usually the ones I bang off the center of the flag on par 3’s and approaches end up in crappy position. Last time it happened on a par 3 I made a bogey as I didn’t get up and down. That stunk on a shot that hit the pin a foot up.

Back