Practice area - how bad are you willing to put up with?

ken_h

Perpetual Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
10.5 GHIN
I recently signed up for the 'players club' at a local course which includes 2 buckets a day. Today the range looked like this. I still made do with it, but got me wondering how bad does a place have to be before you guys say screw it.
fb7138a8cb77eaaf6c315607ff2b2416.jpg

Edit: title should be 'practice area' dammit

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That's exactly the same membership I have/had. The Players Club at a local course in Georgia but my new irons are getting so dinged and beat up from the rocks in the "sand" they use to replenish the turf. I've recently terminated my membership because it's just not even worth the $20/month. I'm taking my talents to bears best for $75 a month now...titleist range balls, multiple putting and chipping areas and very nice grass on the range!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks a lot like the range close to my house. the course is actually very decent, but the range is an abortion.

It looks like people don't know how to efficiently use the range (although I'm sure there's a lot of use, but divot alignment would certainly help). That would be tough to practice on and if there are rocks in the sand, I think I would look for another area.

Also, what's practice? :beat-up:

If it looked like that I would not join. I can't stand practice areas that tear up my clubs or have conditions that makes it hard to practice.

Hard pass for me

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'd walk back to the mats if I saw that.

That is pretty rough looking.

That's pretty terrible. I'd be looking to swing two clubs to loosen up and see if there's a chipping and putting area

We have a local course that looks like a twin to that pic. Our club is renovating its 3rd nine and all practice facilities and I've had to head over there a few times. It's brutal. I also bring my own bag of shag balls to hit on the range because the balls are in such bad shape.

It looks like people don't know how to efficiently use the range (although I'm sure there's a lot of use, but divot alignment would certainly help). That would be tough to practice on and if there are rocks in the sand, I think I would look for another area.

Also, what's practice? :beat-up:

I wonder what percentage of people are aware of this practice. My experience is that it's VERY low.

While that's rough, I see a bunch of decent grass around it you can work with. Also if you can hit it well out of that mess, you can hit it well off of anything!

I wonder what percentage of people are aware of this practice. My experience is that it's VERY low.

You are probably right. However, even if they are aware, there are a lot of people who couldn't take advantage of it even if they knew. Their divots are just all over the place.

I recently signed up for the 'players club' at a local course which includes 2 buckets a day. Today the range looked like this. I still made do with it, but got me wondering how bad does a place have to be before you guys say screw it.
fb7138a8cb77eaaf6c315607ff2b2416.jpg

Edit: title should be 'practice area' dammit

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I wouldn't hit from that stall. Either move the divider over a few feet or walk away.

That looks horrible ,you think they could fix that for the customers

There are very few practice areas at the local public courses that I could put up with. It was a major consideration when I joined a private club, although that wasn't something I could afford in the area I live in(only 1 private course within 25 minutes) until I was in my mid 40's. Now I'm spoiled and I'm sure when I retire I will have to join a private club or two to get the quality practice areas and speed of play that I'm used to.

I wouldn't practice there, certainly wouldn't keep my practice membership.

I'd be ending my range membership. There's no way I could get any quality work done on ground like that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

not really sure what a range is suppose to do if they are one in which receives a lot of play. They would have to be large enough (land wise) to rotate sections while still having enough room to house the large amount of customers. Otherwise is a losing battle and why so many have matts or those fake blanket grass areas. I don't have issue with matts unless the matts are too old , hard, and worn.

That's exactly the same membership I have/had. The Players Club at a local course in Georgia but my new irons are getting so dinged and beat up from the rocks in the "sand" they use to replenish the turf. I've recently terminated my membership because it's just not even worth the $20/month. I'm taking my talents to bears best for $75 a month now...titleist range balls, multiple putting and chipping areas and very nice grass on the range!

Zack and I have been members of the same "club" but I ended my membership months ago. I can't take the damage to my clubs, the seeming indifference of the staff. I've been paying more per visit than my monthly membership fees to visit better ranges.

Back