Practice Before Lessons, Or Wait?

Duffer Seamus

C'mon ball, do your thing
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
As I noted in my intro thread, Brand-New Golfer - Maybe, I'm just dipping my toe in the water. Classes I'm taking start soon after the U.S. Independence Day weekend--a bit more than two weeks off. Naturally, I'm chafing at the bit. Which leads me to my question: Is it ok to practice on my own in the meantime, or should I leave the clubs in the bag until I've started taking the lessons? My concern being developing bad habits that will make learning from the lessons that much less effective.

As I noted in my intro thread, Brand-New Golfer - Maybe, I'm just dipping my toe in the water. Classes I'm taking start soon after the U.S. Independence Day weekend--a bit more than two weeks off. Naturally, I'm chafing at the bit. Which leads me to my question: Is it ok to practice on my own in the meantime, or should I leave the clubs in the bag until I've started taking the lessons? My concern being developing bad habits that will make learning from the lessons that much less effective.

I don't think you're going to ingrain anything in two weeks that'll be detrimental. How long is the "class" you're signed up for? Is it a one on one thing, like a series of lessons, or is it like a group setting, intro to golf, kinda thing?

You should be able to hit balls and be fine. Be honest when you start your lessons and let the instructor do his thing.

Go whack a few! Don’t think of it as trying to build a swing, but rather just as a nice way to pass the time.

Maybe just hit some chips, work on the short shots

This way you won't have any chance to get into bad swing habits before you are taught properly

Ok, thanks, guys! That's good to hear, cuz I'm anxious to hit some balls.

I'm on a deep lot, and bought limited-flight balls, so I have plenty of room in which to fool-around. And I bought a putting practice toy that'll kick the ball back to me when I "sink" one. Maybe I'll join the "100 putts/day" challenge :)

How long is the "class" you're signed up for? Is it a one on one thing, like a series of lessons, or is it like a group setting, intro to golf, kinda thing?
It's a class described as "... for those who have little or no experience with the game of golf. The four one hour classes will prepare you for the course by covering all aspects of the game. Instruction will cover the fundamentals of the full swing with all clubs, the short game (pitching, chipping and putting), etiquette and the rules of golf."

If that goes well and seemed worthwhile, I may take the intermediate class they offer, as well. It's described as "... for those who have completed our beginner’s class or have had on course experience of their own. More one on one time will be spent with each student working at his or her level and pace. Instruction will cover pre-shot routine, set-up and aim, full swing position with all clubs, pitching, chipping and putting. Playing from different types of lies and course management will also be covered."

Then, if it seems like I feel I need it, probably after spending time on a driving range, etc., maybe a one-on-one session with a pro. Those are kind of expensive, though.

I don't strike the ball normally in a round until like the 4th hole. So warm up, so the instructor has something to work with.
Play as you normally would until the lesson.

Bad habits take YEARS to develop .... believe me :eek: You should get out to at least "attempt" to learn on your own. The basics of the grip especially. That's where he/she will start you with anyway. :golf2: Good luck on your pursuit to enjoy this wonderful game of ours! (y)

Ok, thanks, guys! That's good to hear, cuz I'm anxious to hit some balls.

I'm on a deep lot, and bought limited-flight balls, so I have plenty of room in which to fool-around. And I bought a putting practice toy that'll kick the ball back to me when I "sink" one. Maybe I'll join the "100 putts/day" challenge :)

It's a class described as "... for those who have little or no experience with the game of golf. The four one hour classes will prepare you for the course by covering all aspects of the game. Instruction will cover the fundamentals of the full swing with all clubs, the short game (pitching, chipping and putting), etiquette and the rules of golf."

If that goes well and seemed worthwhile, I may take the intermediate class they offer, as well. It's described as "... for those who have completed our beginner’s class or have had on course experience of their own. More one on one time will be spent with each student working at his or her level and pace. Instruction will cover pre-shot routine, set-up and aim, full swing position with all clubs, pitching, chipping and putting. Playing from different types of lies and course management will also be covered."

Then, if it seems like I feel I need it, probably after spending time on a driving range, etc., maybe a one-on-one session with a pro. Those are kind of expensive, though.

Sounds good. I think you'll enjoy the class(es). I kind of wish I had done something similar when I started.

Lessons can be pricey, but they're very valuable if you decide you want to improve your game. If you just wanna go out and have fun, smack the ball around, and don't really care about score, then the classes will be a great way to get you on your way.

Two weeks of practice is not is not going to hurt you prior to your lesson. Even if you hit balls every day.

If anything, the time spent practicing will give your instructor more info on your swing to work with.

If there is a par 3 course near you, go play it. You have everything you need to play a par 3 course. I myself turned a few par 3 courses into temporary sanitation facilities when I first started. Par 3s teach humility.

I would recommend that just prior to your lessons, you get thoroughly warmed up. No need to use valuable lesson time getting warmed up. That waste of time is bad for you, and good for the instructor.

As for bad habits getting into your swing, that's just part of one's golf journey. Even after you become an accomplished golfer, (and you will) you should expect bad habits to creep into swing from time to time. Even the best of the best have to deal with bad habits.

One other thing. Never, ever "put the clubs away". It is however ok to set them aside for a short period of time. I do something with my clubs every day. They need to feel wanted.

I would just get out and hit some balls. At the very least you'll start to get used to the feel of the clubs in your hand, the weight etc and how the swing feels. At your lesson just let the instructor do what he does and he'll be able to work with anything you bring him. Is a long journey, and one that never ends - enjoy the ride!

I wouldn’t want you to develop too many bad swing habits but like others have said, go hit some balls but don’t take it too seriously

Thanks for the additional comments.

I don't strike the ball normally in a round until like the 4th hole. So warm up, so the instructor has something to work with.
I would recommend that just prior to your lessons, you get thoroughly warmed up.
By "warm up," y'all are suggesting I take some warm-up swings before going to each class?

You are completely starting new? Do not hit any balls, just wait. Every ball you hit will ingrain any bad moves you make. They will be just that harder to correct. I think it could be very beneficial to let the instructor mold you literally from the beginning.

Thanks for the additional comments.

By "warm up," y'all are suggesting I take some warm-up swings before going to each class?
Yeah. Be ready to show your swing, and more importantly be able to swing the club the way the instructor is showing you.

Just be ready when your instruction time starts. Arrive early enough before your scheduled instruction time to get in some stretching, and practice swings. Get your body ready. You don't even need to actually hit balls.

It's a time, and money saver to be ready. Just throwing some numbers out here as an example. Say you pay $60 for a 1/2 hour lesson from 8:30 to 9:00. Then say it takes you 10 minutes to get warmed up. To get all your body swing parts ready. You just paid $60 for 20 minutes of lesson time, instead of 30 minutes. Who wants to pay to just warm up?.

Yup, hit some balls, get your grip going, work on the basic fundamentals, plenty of videos on the subject to get you started.

Back