Practice clubs that match your set?

badolds

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 est.
I practice chipping and pitching at work several times a week. I bring my 58* Jaws X grind back and forth to work so its always in my backseat and I have forgot it at work a couple times. My practice area is rocky so the sole of the club gets scratched up quickly and I know the heavy use will take its toll on the grooves eventually. I have older wedges that I could practice with but I prefer to practice with the same club I play so that the feel and performance is the same.

I decided to buy an exact copy of my MD5 that will stay in the bag with my set and will only be used on the course. This got me wondering if anybody else has done this and to what degree? Buy an extra set of irons to use with crappy range balls and a pristine set that has never touched surlyn? With so many club hoes up in here I am sure there are some stories.

I have two practice sets and they are as close as I can get without spending a ton of money. I try to use my regular clubs as much as possible for practice though so I can be accurate with the clubs I play with. If I had rocky terrain for practice and the fact that clubs are so expensive, I am sure I would use the old clubs for that type of practice area.

If I could afford it, I would have 2 identical sets so that I could keep one in my locker at the golf club and the other set at home for if I want to go to the range to practice, or if I make a last minute decision to go play somewhere other than my home club

In terms of practice, once my home club gets the new range and practice area set up, it won't matter that my bag is in my locker

Back