Practice Instead of Play

Practice for me. At least I enjoy practicing a lot more than I used to.

I'm still going through periods during a round where I almost forget how to swing.

I have a nasty "right side" collapse going on right now. Last Sunday was as humiliating and discouraging as it gets for me out on the course. I hit 5 very nice drives that left me in position with wedge & short iron second shots. I kept sticking the club head into the ground time after time. If it wasn't for my the rest of my foursome, I would have folded up the circus tent and went home.

I played 2 holes yesterday and it was fine, but I know it's going to creep back in.

When you're struggling the course isn't so fun, I could see practice being more fun in that scenario.

Dave

Exactly. So any player struggling with their game is best served by using practice areas more so than the golf course.

I’m the polar opposite and suspect I always will be, I’d rather play 10 times out of 10,

The practice range / putting green will never replace a golf course for me.

Yeah I haven't been on the range or putting green in 2 years... just playin'

I can see being a retiree on a budget and getting out of the house for an hour or two, working my way thru a small bucket with short game then full shots and some time on the putting green. Less than $5 and keep the skills sharp. I can see a round of golf being more of an event than an every day or several days a week thing...

No Practice.

Maybe a tune-up lesson just to get some basics back down and another set of eyes from a former coach.

Practice is simply before the round. Chip-Putt. Small Bucket. Putt. 1st tee. Whatever swing happens for that day is it.

What will she think? Curious minds want to know.

She will think im probably laying flat out somewhere with my back or knees blown out and updating my health insurance policy before the buzzards find me.

I can EASILY be an all day range rat... problem is finding a real grass box that's not all tore up by someone trying to recreate a Jackson Pollock painting!!

I am sort of in the practice more boat but for different reasons. SWMBO's itinerary, lack of discretionary income e.t.c.
OTOH, lately I have been buying stuff which may be in the category of "too little-too late" owing to my being chronologically impaired or "A long way to go and short time to get there". Run Bandit Run.

i've spent less time on dedicated practice sessions (not talking about chipping/putting and/or hitting the range before a round - this is more of a warm up than practice imo) this season than any other season i can remember. my scores are also the lowest they've been in a very long time.

No to practicing only to get my fill, need the challenge of the course, goals, and achievements.

Heck I don't even practice anymore. Playing is what keeps me coming back each time. I would just quit golf all together if all I could do was just practice.

high handicapper here...I have practice a LOT this year as I'm incorporating a variety of changes (to my grip, swing, clubs, etc). That said...I'm at a point where I'm backing off big-time and heading back out to play more. I guess to the original post here...how old are these guys who just practice? If I was like 80, and maybe didn't have the motivation to play nine holes, but wanted to spend time hitting balls with my friend to get out of the house for an hour...I could see that. But like my grandpa played into his 80's, until he couldn't see anything anymore...macular degeneration, so he was the opposite of "just practice." he's pushing 90 now and get his kicks just watching the PGA on tv....or I stop by after a range session and have a beer with him and he'll tell me what I'm doing wrong :)

I do not hit balls on a range very much == play 9 holes 2-3 days a week as a workout ==18 holes in the assoc. per week...........

Unlikely. I need goals and challenges and scenery changes or I'll get bored in a hurry.
Absolutely this. I've spent time on ranges and practice areas, but very quickly bore of that.

Any day that I am playing, whether it be good or bad, I am loving it as I was out on the golf course away from other daily stuff.

My perspective changes as I age.
I can better understand older golfers and just wanting to go to the range now.
It's a pretty good commitment for the day to play a round. If you are old or don't feel too well, often playing 18 can become a "wake up and see" proposition. I get that. Good health and an inclination for social interaction would keep you out on course more.

You get old enough, you've played most of the courses in the area.
You get old enough, some of your playing partners get too old, etc.
Hell, bad prostates, etc. :confused:

No pressure at the range. Do things at your own pace. Go home. Take a nap. :sleep::cool:

That said, I'll take playing 18 whenever I'm able to. Need to save the wear and tear for the course at this point.
When I was young, I could hit balls very often, but even then, that was after work and woulda preferred to play, of course.
I think a large bucket 80+ balls is probably more wear and tear as far as full swings than a round of actual golf. Its hard to pay $9/bucket for half swings though. I know I'm guilty of too many full swings at the range.

Let me ask the same question a different way.

What if you found yourself for what ever reason, you could no longer play 9/18 holes, but, and hour or so of just hitting balls in the practice areas still held your interest in the game.

What if you found yourself for what ever reason, you could no longer play 9/18 holes, but, and hour or so of just hitting balls in the practice areas still held your interest in the game.

I'd play 9 holes faster. No reason if you time it right you can't buzz through in 90 or less. And playing 9 with a cart would have less physical impact than ranging for an hour or so.

In that boat right now, and I'm here talking golf. (y) 4 range sessions this year is all I have so far.I was ready to give it a go, and life is getting in the way once again. I played since I was 6, so not playing golf for 5 years has been the weirdest thing ever.
Its down to a walk around the block and I'm worried mom won't be here when I get back or a trip to the grocery. Pretty home bound.
Golf=escapism for me for many years for many reasons in many ways. It was also a job. So I was looking forward to just playing.

for me, with work, kids and life, i can only get out about once a month. so if my choice is practice or playing, i am going to play.

I like to practice but I do it so I can shoot lower scores. When I am old I guess I could see puttering around the course but I think I will always want to go play.

In reference to OP: I think that both range time and game time have place, and need a balance (at least for me).

The Practice Range/Green:
This is where I need to hash out technique, develop feel, comfortability with the different aspects of the game. Yes, practice is fun, but I also need to practice with purpose, or I lose focus and become discouraged. This also allows me to practice specific areas of my game where I know that I'm struggling, so that I have some "muscle-memory" to reflect from when faced with that challenge again on the Course. This is the time where I can be independent, and really focus on my own development.

On Course: Making the magic happen, being social, feeling the butterflies of competition on that $5 Nassau (as an example), or whatever game I may be playing. This is where I feel like I have the opportunity to shine, or flop. Mentally, it's almost a completely opposite side of the coin, as I'm attempting to "Gamify" the practice which I've worked on.

I feel that those with a relatively sound technique may not need as much (or any) practice, and can feel comfortable just getting out and playing. Conversely, some people may not enjoy the pressure of needing to perform, or may not have time, therefore spend the majority of their time on the range.

The best analogy in my own life to this is my work as a professional musician. I don't practice nearly as much as I once did, as I feel that I've sharpened the tools in the shed enough to be able to just get out an perform. However, tools do need occasional sharpening, and I'll definitely spend time practicing horn lines, or soloing over changes to a new or uncomfortable tune. And, there's nothing better than when you know that you're performing to the best of your ability.

To be honest, I really hope that I don't end up in this space; I think I'd need to do both, practice and play. I feel that I'd lose interest if one of those two aspects were eliminated for me.

I practice many more days than I play. I only practice for an hour or two at a time if that.

I've played 5 times this year.

I'd probably play once a week but its not a big deal to me if I don't play.

Most of my golf buddies play at a local Country club that i used to belong to. The last year i was a member there, I only played 45 rounds.

i fall into this category, i practice far more than i play and heres why.
i dont have a membership and i cant afford to play but twice a week probably.
$50 a round times how many times id like to play a week- cant afford
OR
$6 for a large bucket every night and chipping and putting- can afford
the latter gets me on the course where i want to be.

Back