Practice should be fun

thepete

Reaction score
Handicap
+3
So I played around a bit today.

ha ha cool trick

Thanks - I find that I hit that shot way too much now when I should be practising. But it takes the new pitching/chipping technique to the extreme and helps reinforce it so it's not all bad. Fun shot to hit with a few people at the range too.

Haha that was really cool!

Wow, that is a cool shot.

hahaha, I would've broken something in that shed. I love that you put some tune-age with your videos.

That is very Seveish! Cool trick, I liked the one where you were catching the ball too!

Holy crap that was sweet... I know what I am going to try at the range now. Though, I am not sure I have the right pants to try that setup position.

Thanks for the kind comments guys!

That is very Seveish! Cool trick, I liked the one where you were catching the ball too!

Speaking of Seve...I did a wee tribute vid a few months ago. I know he used to practice with all kinds of clubs in the bunker, so I went from LW to 3-iron in the bunker. It is incredible practice - get it out with a 3-iron and sticking it close with a 60 is EZ Mode after that. It's good because the fundamentals become more important the less loft you have. You can cheat your way out with a 60 but not with a club that has 21* of loft.

lol it looks like you almost hit your nose with the 2nd one!

Speaking of Seve...I did a wee tribute vid a few months ago. I know he used to practice with all kinds of clubs in the bunker, so I went from LW to 3-iron in the bunker. It is incredible practice - get it out with a 3-iron and sticking it close with a 60 is EZ Mode after that. It's good because the fundamentals become more important the less loft you have. You can cheat your way out with a 60 but not with a club that has 21* of loft.

That's an awesome practice routine. I could see how that would really help tune impact and judge flight for the club you choose to really hit greenside bunker shots with (56,60,64 whatever...) Also you might feel more comfortable hitting a less lofted club based on distance to the hole and this probably helps a ton with longer bunker shots too.
I'm going to work this fun routine into my practice for sure!

impressive videos pete. ill have to try the sand trap shots with my 4 iron and see what happens.

cool vids dude.....

lol it looks like you almost hit your nose with the 2nd one!

It was very close for sure!

I could see how that would really help tune impact and judge flight for the club you choose to really hit greenside bunker shots with (56,60,64 whatever...)

Totally - that's exactly what you want as well. You can see in the vid that around halfway I was really struggling, because my fundamentals weren't good. Towards the end when I got them under control I was hitting 3-irons from a downslope. No bunkershot is hard after that. You can do pretty much the same thing with greenside pitches and then that tricky flop shot over a bunker isn't so hard afterwards. The best thing is to make your practice sessions really hard, then you won't be troubled by the lies you get on the course.

Those were a blast to watch Pete. Several times you had the blade so far open it looked like the toe was pointing almost straight behind you, lol. Great job.

ha! Nice one Pete, enjoyed that. :D

two things Pete:

1. That was killer to watch
2. You look like a Euro

Awesome stuff Pete - cool to watch! Thanks for sharing with us.

two things Pete:

1. That was killer to watch
2. You look like a Euro

1. Thank you.
2. You mean the currency?

Might have to rework the bunker vid. Learned a completely different and more efficient technique today. So stoked.

So after seeing the bunker video, I knew I had to try it the next time I did an extended bunker session. My goal was to get out of a fairly deep green side bunker (while keeping the ball on the green) with all my wedges and irons (up to the 4-iron).

I got pretty good at it, though admittedly not as good as you. I started to perfect the stance with the 7-iron. I would (1) open stance up considerably, (2) flare open my front foot a ton, (3) take a very wide stance, (4) put approximately 65% of weight on front foot, (6) open the club face a lot, and (7) have a significant backwards lean of the shaft. While I think I took a fairly similar approach to you, I definitely did not bend the back knee as much on the down swing. When I did, it caused the club face to sink in too much. It worked much better for me when I came in very shallow and the bounce popped it back up.

Ultimately, I was able to accomplish the goal. Though it took me 3 times as long as it took you in your video. I had the most trouble with the 5-iron. It was incredibly fun though. Thanks again for posting that!

Great videos....always like practicing shots like that. I've even practiced hitting a putter off a tee, hitting left handed and turning the club around trying to hit the back of the club (iron). Make it fun!

So after seeing the bunker video, I knew I had to try it the next time I did an extended bunker session. My goal was to get out of a fairly deep green side bunker (while keeping the ball on the green) with all my wedges and irons (up to the 4-iron).

I got pretty good at it, though admittedly not as good as you. I started to perfect the stance with the 7-iron. I would (1) open stance up considerably, (2) flare open my front foot a ton, (3) take a very wide stance, (4) put approximately 65% of weight on front foot, (6) open the club face a lot, and (7) have a significant backwards lean of the shaft. While I think I took a fairly similar approach to you, I definitely did not bend the back knee as much on the down swing. When I did, it caused the club face to sink in too much. It worked much better for me when I came in very shallow and the bounce popped it back up.

Ultimately, I was able to accomplish the goal. Though it took me 3 times as long as it took you in your video. I had the most trouble with the 5-iron. It was incredibly fun though. Thanks again for posting that!

Glad to hear that! Hitting a regular bunker shot was easy afterwards, huh?

Glad to hear that! Hitting a regular bunker shot was easy afterwards, huh?

Haha. Yes and no. I went back to a 60 degree after the 4 iron, and I popped a few nearly straight up and considerably short of the flag. Took me a couple more swings to get my normal bunker shot back. After that, it was much easier!!!

Back