Practice without facilities?

checkered

Team Paradise - 2023 Morgan Cup Champions!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
too high
I find myself in the situation that I don't have a golf course with a range/practice area convenient to where I live or work. Does anyone else have a situation like this and if so, do you make the trek to a facility that is out of the way, or do something else? Otherwise, are there things can I work on, or drills that are effective without having access to facilities, that will translate to better success on the course?

My favorite thing to do is just basic chalk line drills on a birdieball mat at home. It's not much but it just keeps my putting stroke somewhat effective.

I really just try to make swings in the backyard. Keep loose, try and have the body remember how to swing the club. No ball needed, just swing the club. Not very exciting, but it helps a bit.

ArmyGolf;n8889359 said:
My favorite thing to do is just basic chalk line drills on a birdieball mat at home. It's not much but it just keeps my putting stroke somewhat effective.
Putting is something I'm working on as often as I can. I don't have a good mat so more just tring to focus on a good stroke and my aim. I'm always unsure though if putting on my living room carpet is helpful or not though.

braddman19;n8889402 said:
I really just try to make swings in the backyard. Keep loose, try and have the body remember how to swing the club. No ball needed, just swing the club. Not very exciting, but it helps a bit.

Good point. I hadn't thought about that. I have a net I can hit into in the back yard, but I could just do swings in the garage if nothing else I suppose.

Depending on how big a yard you have you can work on chips and pitches. I also do a lot of putting on my hardwood floors.

Second on the birdie ball. You can just bring to a local ball field or park if your yard isnt big enough. Just make sure your pickup one of their mats or boards. Could even use a parking lot. If no room but don’t want to travel there are plenty of good pop up net options as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been thinking of just building a spot in my workshop where I can hit some irons. Right now, I just swing weighted clubs and visualize ball flights. In my mind's eye, I hit is wicket straight! LOL

I will be getting one of those golf net training aids to put up in my backyard to get some swing practice in. Should be able to drive and also chip into it to get a good feel down with it I think. I am not expecting it to completely fix my ball hitting issues, but I think with it, I can work on my stance and approach to the ball as well as get a bit better at not topping the ball, hitting fat shots and will be able to get some video for some swing analysis as well. This would be in addition to going for some lessons as well at the course or PGA centers.

I have been thinking about trying the birdieballs out, but I am at just the right amount of space that I feel like if I hit it JUST right it will go too far. Is the mat a must to have with it? Why?

I’ve invested in a decent mat, net, and an SC200 because of the exact reasons you mentioned above and I’m pretty happy with my setup. Find a couple of drills that help with any swing flaws you may need to work on and you’ll be good to go. I just try to pay attention to my ball striking and the yardages I get from the SC200 and they seem to be fairly accurate and carry over to the course as long as it’s programmed correctly.

I installed a launch monitor and net cage.

I also keep a supply of wiffle balls in my car, along with the clubs. They aren't perfect, but they work well enough to just swing a bit and get the feels.

Big SoIL;n8890298 said:
I’ve invested in a decent mat, net, and an SC200 because of the exact reasons you mentioned above and I’m pretty happy with my setup. Find a couple of drills that help with any swing flaws you may need to work on and you’ll be good to go. I just try to pay attention to my ball striking and the yardages I get from the SC200 and they seem to be fairly accurate and carry over to the course as long as it’s programmed correctly.

Does the SC200 tell you the direction or trajectory of the ball? My main issue with hitting into a net is that I often think I've hit a good shot (based on feel at impact) only to see it turn 20 yards by the end.

campilobaxter;n8890350 said:
Does the SC200 tell you the direction or trajectory of the ball? My main issue with hitting into a net is that I often think I've hit a good shot (based on feel at impact) only to see it turn 20 yards by the end.

It does not...it definitely takes some imagination and some creativity to make it work well. Alignment aids, target lines, and occasionally some swing videos help a lot. It does have smash factor, swing speed, and distance so you can usually extrapolate results when you know your target line and the actual starting line of your shot with a decent amount of accuracy.

One winter, when stationed in Germany, I took 5-6 strokes off my average round just swinging indoors and videoing my swing. I'd setup the camcorder (yeah, I just aged myself a wee bit), make 3-4 swings from all 4 angles, watch in on the TV to see where I was at, then repeat over and over until I was happy with my progress. Probably did that 2-3 times per week for 2-3 months. No balls necessary.

Has anyone used the Rapsodo R-Motion device? Wondering if that would be useful.

When I was working at a place that had a field next to the property, I would pitch balls 50 yards to an alignment stick to work on distance control. Easy way to get outside and work on the game.

The course I play has no "real" facilities, but there is an open area on the back 9 between two holes where you can hit irons, and a lake to hit balls into.

Back