Practicing with heavier shafts but playing lighter

checkered

Team Paradise - 2023 Morgan Cup Champions!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
too high
This has probably been discussed before but I'm going to ask anyway...Been pondering this with how my irons have been the last couple of rounds. I've been practicing a lot with heavier shafts, Nippon Modus 3 Tour 130's, but the clubs I play regularly right now have the UST Recoil Dart 105s. Can practicing with a heavier shaft cause issues when playing with a lighter shaft? Could be over thinking things, but then I do everything, but just curious.

Anything over a 20g change can be really hard for most people to begin with. And practicing with one and playing with the other.. I don't even know how to react to that. I would encourage no one to do that. And I'm curious, why are you not practicing with the ones you play?

Anything over a 20g change can be really hard for most people to begin with. And practicing with one and playing with the other.. I don't even know how to react to that. I would encourage no one to do that. And I'm curious, why are you not practicing with the ones you play?
good question...mostly just don't want to have to take irons out of the bag to practice with, then have to remember to put them back in when I play. More because I've made the mistake of forgetting to put said irons back in the bag and ended up not having an important club during a round than anything. I'm also practicing with a far different profile iron, but that's a whole different story. :LOL:

good question...mostly just don't want to have to take irons out of the bag to practice with, then have to remember to put them back in when I play. More because I've made the mistake of forgetting to put said irons back in the bag and ended up not having an important club during a round than anything. I'm also practicing with a far different profile iron, but that's a whole different story. :LOL:
You need to get your MC clubs ASAP so this madness can end lol

This has probably been discussed before but I'm going to ask anyway...Been pondering this with how my irons have been the last couple of rounds. I've been practicing a lot with heavier shafts, Nippon Modus 3 Tour 130's, but the clubs I play regularly right now have the UST Recoil Dart 105s. Can practicing with a heavier shaft cause issues when playing with a lighter shaft? Could be over thinking things, but then I do everything, but just curious.

Not recommended and I can't think of a reason why you would do that.
I play with Recoil 125 F5 shafts. I would be out of sorts playing with any other shafts.

The biggest thing I’d be worried about would be that it could mess with my timing/sequencing and throw it out of whack (I mean further out of whack than it already is!). I don’t like messing with unnecessary variables if I don’t have a good reason to. This game is hard enough already without introducing more randomness into it.

Training heavier will make you slower. I think this could totally Jack up your swing or timing or both.

The biggest thing I’d be worried about would be that it could mess with my timing/sequencing and throw it out of whack (I mean further out of whack than it already is!). I don’t like messing with unnecessary variables if I don’t have a good reason to. This game is hard enough already without introducing more randomness into it.
yeah timinng is what I worry about. I'm pushing things right (left handed) a lot. I have some thoughts, and have heard some things, on what's going on but just was curioius what others thought.
Training heavier will make you slower. I think this could totally Jack up your swing or timing or both.

I'm confused on this thought. If anything I feel like I"m coming through too quickly and messing up my timing. I feel great with the heavier clubs, like, hella smooth and great contact. I'm making good contact a lot of times with the lighter clubs, just things go right (left handed) for me.

yeah timinng is what I worry about. I'm pushing things right (left handed) a lot. I have some thoughts, and have heard some things, on what's going on but just was curioius what others thought.

I'm confused on this thought. If anything I feel like I"m coming through too quickly and messing up my timing. I feel great with the heavier clubs, like, hella smooth and great contact. I'm making good contact a lot of times with the lighter clubs, just things go right (left handed) for me.

what I am saying is if your train heavy then switch to light for play. If heavy feels good, go
Heavy and stay heavy.

This will probably mess you up.
You'll likely have issues with timing, tempo and staying on plane with lighter shafts if you're used to the heavier ones. At least 98% of people would.
Some people are not sensitive to shaft weights, though. So there's that.

My tempo is bad enough without throwing separate weights into the mix. I couldn't imagine.

If you're hitting better shots with the heavier shafts, I'd just go full-on and make the transition to them and not mess around with the lighter ones at all.

I've only played with shaft weight in my driver, haven't tried it with other clubs. With a heavier shaft I lose a lot of shots to the right (right-handed), and it goes away when I switch to a lighter shaft.

what I am saying is if your train heavy then switch to light for play. If heavy feels good, go
Heavy and stay heavy.
Gotcha. That makes sense. I like both, though...
This will probably mess you up.
You'll likely have issues with timing, tempo and staying on plane with lighter shafts if you're used to the heavier ones. At least 98% of people would.
Some people are not sensitive to shaft weights, though. So there's that.
I kind of figured this might be something to be concerned with, hence the question. Things haven't been terrible with the lighter ones, just a consistent enough of a miss lately that it had made me wonder.

If you're hitting better shots with the heavier shafts, I'd just go full-on and make the transition to them and not mess around with the lighter ones at all.

I've only played with shaft weight in my driver, haven't tried it with other clubs. With a heavier shaft I lose a lot of shots to the right (right-handed), and it goes away when I switch to a lighter shaft.
Understandable. I'm not hitting horrible shots with the lighter shafts, just missing right enough to make me wonder. I always assume it's me more than anything equipment wise the way my swing is.

Appreciate everyone that has responded. With what I'm hearing, I think I am going to switch to using the clubs with the lighter shafts all the time for consistency. They'll be closer to what's going to be in my MC irons, so figure that's the way to go. I do need to set up to record my swing and just make sure it's not me doing something stupid, as is often the case.

It's not just shaft weights - you also have to look at their bend profiles.
They will load differently and probably have different ball flights.

I'm just guessing but the Nippon Modus will probably have a higher ball flight.
The Recoils tend to have a lower boring flight.
For example, if you play on a course with a lot of trees the Recoils will stay low when punching out.

Back