Pre Shot Shot Routine - What's Yours?

MikeF

Reaction score
Handicap
What's your Pre Shot Routine?

Do you have one or do you just step up and hit it

Mine is 1 practice swing next to the ball, step back behind the ball to get line and type of shot I want to try to play
Step forward and settle over ball before taking my swing

The above is the same on the Tee box too, but I also check the height of the ball with the club I am using to make sure it is tee'd at the height I want

Stand behind the ball and pick my line, take my stance, one practice swing, step up to the ball and pull the trigger.

No set routine other than to take one more distance check/waggle than everyone thinks I'm going to. lol

I check my lie, pick my shot and point of aim, grab the club, and then focus on my alignment and distance from the ball. It's a little different each time though. I try to avoid exact routines, because when I have them and something throws them off, it throws me off more than I'd like. Feeding my perfectionism works against me. A certain number of practice swings, an exact order of things, and all that, can't be a part of it for me.

Last edited:
1-2 practice swings. Stand behind the ball visualize the shot I want to hit , step up and fire away

I need to really work on a preshot routine...just something to give myself a few seconds to relax before I hit. Normally I do a practice swing and go. Need to do more lining up of the shot, I think, sizing up what I really want to do with the shot, where I want to put it, exactly. I can get a little rushed at times. I generally will either size up distance by eyeballing it (usually if I'm within reasonable distance of a yardage marker) or will check the swingU app really quick. Then kind of step up, practice swing, go.

I know as I keep dialing in my swing and clubs, I need to take a little more time to be specific with what I want from each shot...rather than "I think I'm aimed correctly, and hitting in that general direction" :)

1-2 practice swings. Stand behind the ball visualize the shot I want to hit , step up and fire away
That bolded part is what I need to improve on....

i think it goes something like this:

laser the flag (and anything else i might be interested in)
pick a club
pick a target & aim point
practice swing behind the ball
address
look at target
pull the trigger

one thing I will say has helped me align to my aim point better is looking at that target while I settle my feet in as I tend to align better to the aim point when looking at it. Rather than looking at the ball as I shuffle my feet around, etc. I saw that tip recently somewhere around here and have been doing it at the range and I find I am hitting my targets a lot better. Will work on incorporating into the live rounds when I get out and play (hopefully soon)

[if necessary] laser distance to flag or hazard
pull club as setting bag down
take stance with club behind ball
hit ball
repeat

I try not to give myself enough time for the negative thoughts to start creeping in. I'm also usually the last guy in our group to hit my shot so the other guys are waiting on me before they can advance themselves down the fairway. I don't rush because of them, it's just the pace that I have conditioned myself to playing at.

Swig of beer, pray, swig of beer, practice swing, real swing, curse words, chug rest of beer

I stand behind the ball and pick my target. I then look for something on the ground 1 to 6 feet away that lines up with my target and the ball. I then take my stance lining up parallel to the line just ahead of my ball. After that, just think about staying loose and concentrate on any swing thought. Making sure my aim is correct and always having a target is easy and saves me strokes.

Stand behind ball, 2 practice swings find line, address ball and go

one swing to get the tension out. Find my line and pay attention to a spot a few feet in front of my ball. I try to take the midset of aim small, miss small.

pull my ball out of my pocket...look at it with all my positivity and adoration...use ball to push my tee in the ground. look around...make awkward eye contact with at least on person with in eyesight. look at ball. be ball. hit ball.

Get behind the ball aim to target, step in, set up to ball, strike to target. Get in cart, go find ball. Stand behind ball get yardage, aim target, step up to ball, strike to target. Repeat as required. :cool:

I do a little Dufnering in my pre-shot routine. Four to six waggles, then looking down the fairway, then touching the ground with the driver at least twice, then I swing. Just trying to keep myself slow on the takeaway.

I have a routine and I can do it more quickly than it probably seems:

laser my distance and pick a club

practice making a full turn so that I feel my hips and back disassociate.

come back through and feel where I want my hands to be at contact.

pick a piece of grass, leaf, etc. on my target line a few feet in front of my ball

visualize my shot in my mind

set up with both feet together, the ball between my feet

move my lead foot towards the target to put my ball in the position I want

move my back foot out for the same purpose

make sure that I am balanced and swing.

1) laser the shot or check the distance on the Garmin
2) select the club
3) stand behind the ball and look at the shot take a practice swing
4) line up the shot
5) stand next to the ball and take another practice swing or two making sure the tempo is right
6) address the ball using the method taught by the pro and make sure the club head is appropriate to the type of shot
7) settle my mind and imagine the shot (if it doesn't appear - step away)
8) if the image of the shot appeared pull the trigger

(watch ball fly through the air, use body English as necessary, talk to the ball as necessary. If it's flushed let the club slide down through my left hand. If it's bad shot it slides through the right hand.)

Assess the shot (lie, uphill/downhill to the target, wind, any trouble in play, etc), get yardage, decide on shot I’ll try to play, pull club and put on my glove, pick line from a few feet behind the ball, visualize the intended shot, pick my aiming spot a foot or two ahead of the ball, align myself to it and the target line, maybe take a practice swing, address the ball, take a couple of deep breaths and waggles, hit the shot. It’s 20-25 seconds or so.

I’ve been working on removing the practice shot from my routine. I take one about a 1/3 of the time now.

Assess the lie
Assess the possibilities for the next shot
Choose a line and a landing/run out spot
Choose a club
One practice swing rehearsing the type of swing I need to execute (draw/fade/etc)
Visualize success
Relax

The weird part: when I’m ready I click “play” on a song in my head. There are a few that I use to help guide my tempo. “Playing” the song helps keep me from diving into a bunch of swing thoughts, which is DEATH for my shot.

Walk up to the ball, one waggle, and go, all in time with the song.

I have 3 distinct routines. Driver/hybs, irons and wedges/putter

My driver and putting routines are very well developed and identical that you could time them and they would be the same every time, all day. (That’s one of the goals of a routine). My hyb iron wedge routine is a little messy and different depending on lie and how I’m feeling. Might need to work on that.

**Laser the yardage
**Take one or two practice swings
**Envision the shot
**Address the ball with slightly open face
**Think soft hands through the entire swing
**GO!!

step up and hit when on the tee box. rarely take any practice swings. For all other shots I will take a single practice swing & send the ball on its way.

Back