Precision Pro R1 Rangefinder

Man, I love the ‘Ignore’ function. 😆

I’m really curious to see what the app and Bluetooth link to my phone will do as far as battery life goes. There’s a lot to digest here in a much more palatable price range for many.

I’m really curious to see what the app and Bluetooth link to my phone will do as far as battery life goes. There’s a lot to digest here in a much more palatable price range for many.
I rarely buy new golf equipment (mostly pre-owned stuff) and the new stuff I do buy are all from recommendations and reviews here. I’m very interested in what you find in your testing and honest review as I currently use my phone and a cheap Amazon range finder now. If I can combine the two, get more data, and there’s no subscription, I’m all for it.

I rarely buy new golf equipment (mostly pre-owned stuff) and the new stuff I do buy are all from recommendations and reviews here. I’m very interested in what you find in your testing and honest review as I currently use my phone and a cheap Amazon range finder now. If I can combine the two, get more data, and there’s no subscription, I’m all for it.
I’m hoping it’ll be a fun one, some big claims for them to back up though!

Color me intrigued, but you probably knew that before as I love Precision Pro from the original Nexus line then NX9 HD SLOPE and NX9. I think the integration with pin as well as back middle front GPS distances is huge because I like to gauge all three and usually hit some object I think is close to the front/back and guess the middle. Love that it has coordinates for location - I know the magnet they use is great.

Kudos to the Precision Pro customer service team. I had an issue with the view finder on my last unit (squiggly lines). I sent them an email and while they were out of replacements at the time they kept me updated and as soon as they had new inventory they shipped one out quickly without me having to return the defective unit before replacing it. The viewfinder on this one doesn't have the issue that the other one had. I was really impressed and happy with how they dealt with this issue.

It looks like the release has been pushed back to the beginning of July on these so a wait there shall be.

It looks like the release has been pushed back to the beginning of July on these so a wait there shall be.
That’s a bummer! I’ve been slow playing going Cobalt to give one of these a go eventually 😕

That’s a bummer! I’ve been slow playing going Cobalt to give one of these a go eventually 😕
Definitely not ideal. Especially with so many new offerings. The VC SL2 "looks" good. Hoping it is an improvement on the one I had. In any case, I'm glad to see more high quality offerings hitting the market.

Booo.
I’m still really excited for this one since the NX9 is going back, but the communication hasn’t been great.

Yeah I moved my NX9 and took the dive on this one, but another month of waiting doesn't sound great. That said, everything is seeing delays nowadays. We'll see what happens.

This delay is not helping with the VC SL2 out in the wild, calling my name... They're different obviously and have a considerable price difference,but man....

@Jman Have you had time with this yet?

I got an email from Precision Pro last night, that they should have some in stock next week and will be shipping first batch of orders starting end of next week. I’d love to have it before next weekend when Team Grandaddy heads to Chicago

That’s a very intriguing concept! Not sure I would like having both phone and rangefinder on me, but some cool innovation to see

Finally home and able to look at this.
it is currently charging, so we’ll go into more detail later once I am able to connect it to my phone and use it.

I’ve used the Precision Pro NX9 for the last year, so this will be a good test against it.

Contents:
- instruction manual
- lens cloth
- case
- USB to USB-C charging cable
- rangefinder

initial thoughts:
- Packaging much improved over the NX9 box. Makes it look much more quality and high-tech. We’ll see if it can live up to it, but initial reaction seeing this packaging was “this looks really cool”
- Feel is still a bit plastic-y, especially on the front of the unit, slightly more-so than the NX9. The grip and ergonomics feels a nice and natural shape in my hand.
- charging, be sure to use the supplied charging cable. I initially used an iPad USB-C charger I had plugged in on my desk, and couldn’t tell if it was working or not, and it felt a bit loose. I switched over to the supplied cable, and it immediately felt a more secured connection. The charging light is now indicating that it is indeed charging.

More updates later today once it has charged and I can play with it, and the app, a bit more.

6D4B3909-E615-4219-81C1-0400BB1250F1.jpeg
377F6C3D-8231-4AC8-9D63-9A9E996ECDFE.jpeg
7A540CE0-2DF5-4AA0-9293-39BA53EEF649.jpeg
8185D9F7-26D8-4955-ABE7-657521125801.jpeg
B8701998-E2CD-44D5-A2EC-C2150D98D933.jpeg

Playing around in the yard, I feel like this is an improvement on the NX9. Very fast, and the glass is much better quality.
I plan on taking it with me to mens league on thursday for the first real test.

I have set up the app, and paired the R1 to it. Next thing I will be working on, is setting up MySlope.
MySlope looks to give a personalized slope distance, and requires each club to have data inserted. So when setting up, I have to build my bag of clubs (in my case, D, 4w, 1h, 2h, 5-AW, 54, 58), then for each of those clubs, input 3 metrics:
  • Ball Speed
  • Launch Angle
  • Spin Rate

For the average consumer, this might be a little difficult if not impossible for them to achieve, or want to learn, these numbers. It is going to take a session and time dedicated to finding them. So while not doing it would give pretty standard slope similar to other rangefinders, it will take a bit of homework to maximize the potential of the R1. I plan on trying to book time on the local trackman to get this all set up.

Beyond those 3 measurements above, the R1 will bluetooth connect to my phone, and is said to use Temperature, Altitude, and Humidity that it gains with that connection, to create a more accurate MySlope distance. That will be interesting to test out.

The R1 itself has 2 different options, each a distinct screen activated by a mode button.

Laser Screen:
  • Distance
  • MySlope Distance
  • Wind assistance

GPS Screen:
  • Front of green distance
  • Center distance
  • Back distance
  • Hole #

Beyond this, the app also acts similar to the Grint or other golf tracking apps. While logging score, you'll also be able to track FIR/GIR count and misses, and putts. There is also something called "Personal Reports" and "Personal Layups". I am not sure what these are, but will explore them on Thursday when I play.

Playing around in the yard, I feel like this is an improvement on the NX9. Very fast, and the glass is much better quality.

I have set up the app, and paired the R1 to it. Next thing I will be working on, is setting up MySlope.
MySlope looks to give a personalized slope distance, and requires each club to have data inserted. So when setting up, I have to build my bag of clubs (in my case, D, 4w, 1h, 2h, 5-AW, 54, 58), then for each of those clubs, input 3 metrics:
  • Ball Speed
  • Launch Angle
  • Spin Rate

For the average consumer, this might be a little difficult if not impossible for them to achieve, or want to learn, these numbers. It is going to take a session and time dedicated to finding them. So while not doing it would give pretty standard slope similar to other rangefinders, it will take a bit of homework to maximize the potential of the R1. I plan on trying to book time on the local trackman to get this all set up.

Beyond those 3 measurements above, the R1 will bluetooth connect to my phone, and is said to use Temperature, Altitude, and Humidity that it gains with that connection, to create a more accurate MySlope distance. That will be interesting to test out.

The R1 itself has 2 different options, each a distinct screen activated by a mode button.

Laser Screen:
  • Distance
  • MySlope Distance
  • Wind assistance

GPS Screen:
  • Center distance
  • Back distance
  • Hole #

Beyond this, the app also acts similar to the Grint or other golf tracking apps. While logging score, you'll also be able to track FIR/GIR count and misses, and putts. There is also something called "Personal Reports" and "Personal Layups". I am not sure what these are, but will explore them on Thursday when I play.

Great stuff!
The packaging makes it look premium.

So, the switch on the side. Is that to flip between screens, or is it for something else? Like turning slope off?

Great stuff!
The packaging makes it look premium.

So, the switch on the side. Is that to flip between screens, or is it for something else? Like turning slope off?

The switch on the side is to turn Slope off/on to make it tournament legal.

There are 2 buttons on top, the Mode button, and Laser button. It's very quick and easy to switch between GPS and Laser.

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 4.40.30 PM.png

So, this also has GPS?

• Ball Speed
  • Launch Angle
  • Spin Rate

Laser Screen:
  • Distance
  • MySlope Distance
  • Wind assistance

GPS Screen:
  • Center distance
  • Back distance
  • Hole #

Alright you talked me into it…. I guess I’ll order one up as well! When available of course!!! #ChurchOfNeil

Back