Prefer harder putter faces?

scott.french3

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I remember why I like harder putter faces like a flat faced stainless 303 blade or original Ping Anser. Years ago, I had a 2 Ball blade white hot. That and a premium ball felt like putting a marshmellow. Urethane off of 303 steel or brass feels much crisper. Took my Ping Anser out for the first time in over 20 yrs. Easy to see why I liked it back then.

I think some of it, really a lot of it, is the particular ball you use. Different balls produce different sound and feel and that leads to your perception of hard, soft, firm, mushy, etc. Obviously the putter, along with it's face type or milling depth adds to all of that too.

I also prefer a flat or milled face rather than an insert. It just translates better to me. I can get better distance control with a milled face

I've grown to love the insert. I will say that what is key is the insert to the ball feeling the way you want it. In fact, I pick a ball on the putting green first then see what it does tee to green. My driver and iron game is not as good as my putting. Given putting is 1/2 the game, I let my putter select my ball.

Don't care for inserts, never have. A nice, flat metal face is fine. Whether it's cast or milled doesn't matter.

The best, most consistent roll I've ever been able to put on a ball was with an old "Roll Face" Teardrop Zebra putter. I think it was aluminum or maybe stainless steel, plain metal with a roll face.

Broke my heart when I pulled it out of the bag after an airline trip and found the shaft bent. Couldn't find anyone who could duplicate the double-bend shaft and make the putter set up right.

R.I.P. Zebra
sic transit gloria mundi

I've used a lot of different putters over the years, both insert and non-insert. I've grown to love the insert putters, my current gamer and two previous long-term gamers (Ping Scottsdale and TM Rossa Corza Ghost) have inserts. The Microhinge Star insert in my SL Ten gives me great feel without being mushy, and I feel like I have better distance control with the insert putters. Putting is such a mental game, it all hinges on what feels good in your hands!

Absolutely. Ball plays a big factor for me, but I definitely prefer the feel of a milled face to inserts. I’m currently played a milled Newport 2, coming from a TaylorMade Ardmore.

My entire putter head is made from a chunk of 303 stainless steel. I think it's also known as "alloy 303". It seems pretty hard. I know it rolls my ball well, and that's all that really matters to me. .

I've used a few different putter over the years. Never really took a liking to inserts in the face.

Back about six months ago the softer putter face was the ticket, but now I like the harder putter face like the Scotty Newport 2 has.

My current putter is a milled face. It's ok. I don't have a preference... I've not seriously tried a putter with an insert so no I don't know if I'd like one or not.

yeah, i've always had a milled face. Most inserts feel squishy to me. I like the audible click and crisp feel.

I personally feel like it's a combination of ball AND putter face. I wonder if that's why there's a ball preference often attached. I prefer a certain feel off the face when putting. So I've found that if the putter I'm using has an insert and is softer, then I prefer a harder "x" type ball. But if I'm using a milled face putter, then I prefer the softer non "x" ball of the brand.

Last edited:
I remember why I like harder putter faces like a flat faced stainless 303 blade or original Ping Anser. Years ago, I had a 2 Ball blade white hot. That and a premium ball felt like putting a marshmellow. Urethane off of 303 steel or brass feels much crisper. Took my Ping Anser out for the first time in over 20 yrs. Easy to see why I liked it back then.

I know exactly how you feel. I have used some variation of an Anser for the last 20 plus years. I can remember trying out one of the 2 balls with the insert. I didn't like it at the time. Currently, I'm trying out a Cleveland Frontline Elevado . It's the first putter with an insert that I have used for more than 1 round. I have 4 rounds in with it this year. I still have my Redwood Anser if I decide to go back to it.

I really like the insert on my Ghost Spider. I have used non insert putters in the past, but have since then fell in love with this one.

I really like the insert on my Ghost Spider. I have used non insert putters in the past, but have since then fell in love with this one.
The insert on mySpiderX is quite nice and firm too as it has the pure roll face. Just a different feel than on my Vons SS398 and Ping Anser.

Don't care for inserts, never have. A nice, flat metal face is fine. Whether it's cast or milled doesn't matter.

The best, most consistent roll I've ever been able to put on a ball was with an old "Roll Face" Teardrop Zebra putter. I think it was aluminum or maybe stainless steel, plain metal with a roll face.

Broke my heart when I pulled it out of the bag after an airline trip and found the shaft bent. Couldn't find anyone who could duplicate the double-bend shaft and make the putter set up right.

R.I.P. Zebra
sic transit gloria mundi

would this be the one you want?

There's a big balance for me. I want a face the feels responsive. I dont want a super firm pitch sound but I dont want complete mush.

I do say I putt well with the spider x insert and it's on the softer side. But the first gen white hot micro hinge was so soft you could barely register hits. On the flip side, there are some milled putters for whatever reason feel like a miss hit no matter where you strike them.

Even some super deep milling putters feel off where they just feel firm instead of deep tock on impact.

Funny thing is, the insert on my Ping putter felt softer than the Micro Hinge in the Odyssey, but the Ping had a metallic 'ting' sound to it. The SL Ten is a more subdued 'click', even though the face is firmer.

I also prefer a flat or milled face rather than an insert. It just translates better to me. I can get better distance control with a milled face

I'm with you on that. I had an Odyssey blade putter with an insert that I just sold because I couldn't seem to putt well with at all. Feel and distance was very inconsistent for me.

Back