Preference in Face Angle at Setup

What is your preference in face angle at address while setting up to the ball?

• Total voters

Golfers Anonymous

Just Decent
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Curious as to everyone’s preference if any on face angle at setup before the shot. Do you change between Driver, Woods, Hybrids, and Irons?

I prefer a slightly closed face on Driver and Woods, and a Neutral set on the Hybrids and Irons something that I tend to look for especially when looking down at the Driver.

I prefer them all to look neutral at address. Seeing an open or closed face unconsciously makes me make adjustments in my swing to counter what I’m seeing.

Nuetral to slightly open.

I can miss right or left. The right is a bad swing. The left is a bad swing. The middle? Sometimes a bad swing that works out.

I’m enjoying my lack of height with everything.

No loss of speed. Better control of hands. I hit some silly 30ft screamers from 80 yards that just SAT down.

I’m enjoying my lack of height with everything.

No loss of speed. Better control of hands. I hit some silly 30ft screamers from 80 yards that just SAT down.
Had a buddy, scratch to +2 kind of golfer. Hit low screamers into greens that just screeched to a stop. Amazing to watch that sort of control.

I honestly don’t have one. None of it bothers me.

Don't have one and don't plan on having one. I have learned for my game the less thought I can put into things like that the better I play golf. Hitting to target, club yardage, course strategy, and relaxed swing has helped me the most now. It could change but such is golf.

Neutral with a little forward press to trigger the backswing.

As my tendency is to have a slight draw on a good hit and a duck hook on a miss, I do prefer clubs to sit neutral to slightly open. Neutral on the irons and wedges, slightly open on the big sticks.

I like to have the driver look a touch open as it helps me visualize the club path to hit the draw. Irons I like to look ever so slightly closed which assures me that they are likely neutral. If I look down and the iron face looks open I'll probably hit a slice.

I'm probably a little weird in that I prefer neutral to slightly open for driver, neutral to closed on fairway woods and hybrids and neutral on irons.

I like them to look neutral or just the lights bit closed..

Everything slightly open

Doesn’t matter to me

I prefer a neutral face. I've played drivers that tend to lean fade biased and had some success. I definitely do not love seeing anything extremely closed

I thought I was setting up neutral but in a recent alignment check I realized I was setting up closed so that means my clob face was close in relation to my position but squared to the target. I'm trying to make my stance neutral and keep my club face open to slioghtly open. I do fight a hook so I feel like the open setup might help promote not closing the club face too quickly.

I wish I was good enough to be consistent with it.

Irons I prefer neutral. Driver neutral to slightly open.

As someone who fights the rights with a driver, I like to see the driver face slightly toed in at address. I've had a couple of drivers that seem to sit open to my eye when I'm addressing the ball and I feel like the confidence just slips away looking down at the ball. All in the mind I know, just a personal preference.

I prefer neutral to slightly open. That just looks comfortable to me, where anything closed bothers me.

Back