Preferred Visibility When Playing Golf

I like good weather, but the less bright sunshine, the better.

Depending on the angle of the sun, the glare is sometimes a problem, and it's hard to tract the ball visually.

it's all good.png

Nothing is better than a perfectly comfortable sunny day (like every Winter day in Phoenix). Gimme all the sunshine I can take (even though I don't like when it's lower in the sky and can get in my eyes).

75, mostly sunny with a few cirrus clouds and a slight breeze = ideal

Do you like bright, high sunshine?

Low sun (think mornings and evenings?)

Cloudy?

Partly Cloudy (more sun than clouds?)

Partly Sunny (more clouds than sun?)

Overcast?

Stormy?

I personally hate sunshine for just about everything. I never want to see a completely clear day. I think my preferred golf sky is cloudy. No direct sunlight, but blue skies and big puffy white clouds.
Unless it's been actually raining , in all the years I've been going to LA I think I've only seen 4 clouds. Must be more clouds along the coast.

Above °50 and partly cloudy is preferred, but will take pretty much anything. 😎

Sunny and warm/hot with single digit humidity and a light breeze.

Unless it's been actually raining , in all the years I've been going to LA I think I've only seen 4 clouds. Must be more clouds along the coast.
We get a lot of marine layer. Almost always overcast and dense clouds in the morning.

Ever been here in May or June? Then you've experienced "May Grey" and "June Gloom" barely ever see the sun before 3pm in those months.

Winter months bring lots of rain and humidity, so that's when we get the big fluffy kind that I like.

Today, unfortunately, is one of those days that everyone (me) hates. At least it's not hot.

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 4.00.10 PM.png

Right now I don’t care if the sky is neon green, I just want to play.

Best case though, I’ll take mainly sunny and light clouds. No humidity, thanks. With a slight breeze to keep the bugs away.

Probably overcast, only because I tend to sunburn pretty easily (ginger, here) and in terms of visibility, it doesnt matter.

Sunny with some clouds is what I like.

No real preference. I do like the puffy clouds though, if I had a preference.

love it clear and sunny, but i will play in most anything

I care more about the temperature, but I do prefer a partly cloudy day.

nothing better than piping that first drive on a bright and partly cloudy day with a low 70s temp! Although days with full sun and 60s during April are pretty good as well!

I'm leaning toward overcast because the lighting is "even"

Overcast for sure. No sunglasses needed and it's easiest to find balls and read greens in. It's also generally a few degrees cooler.

As long as it is warm and not raining, it is a great day for golf to me.

No matter what we have here, the sun can be damaging at 7,600 feet, so I'm always putting on the protective hat and the sunscreen, but for me the visibility part is unimportant, so anything from full sun to clouds is ok with me.

I honestly don’t care much about cloud cover or lack of as long as the temperature is hopefully between 55 and 80 degrees. I’m not a fan of playing in hot and humid conditions and normally will not play if it is humid and over 80*. On those 30 or so hot and humid days here each summer you will find me off the course by 10:30 am and likely on a boat or jet ski.

Probably overcast, only because I tend to sunburn pretty easily (ginger, here) and in terms of visibility, it doesnt matter.
I'm already working on my "golfer's tan"....tan legs and forearms, lily white feet, upper arms and torso. :cool: We played today, 80 degrees, clear and sunny.

I prefer either completely sunny days or overcast days. Either works great. Do not want to play in rain or heavy wind though. If it's a sunny day, would be nice if it was cool, not Houston summer!

I guess I am more a partly cloudy day guy. I can’t stand bright sunshine keeping me from being able to track the ball and I also have a difficult time tracking it on really cloudy days. That’s really why I play a yellow ball most the time too as I can see it in the air better.

Depends on the time of year - October to May - bright sunshine
June to September - More clouds than sun - the sun can be brutal here in the summer

Back