Premium golf balls

SHIFTY

Orgasm Donor
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So recently I upgraded from a Skytrak to a GC2 Launch Monitor and play Jack Nickolas Perfect Golf in the Online Golf Tour. We play scrambles all the time, and I was playing with a guy who has a -12 handicap (mines 13 online), he's good. He always knew how to land the ball, 10 feet past and backspin, before and run up, etc. Also if he'd rather be in the fairway or rough coming up to specific pins and how it would affect spin.
Anyways I buy some AAAAA used balls off ebay, but they are a model from a few years ago. He asks me what my backspin numbers are with my wedge, and they end up being half of what they should be. He suggests upgrading and trying a premium ball. So I went and bought a dozen tp5's, and voila my numbers are where they should be on spin. Actually spun one back to the pin last night. It is actually like night and day in ball control if you have an idea where you are trying to land it. I had no idea premium balls could make such a difference.

That being said, what would you consider a premium ball?
Here are a few I'm going to try and see what works the best numbers wise for me, as well as cost, and how long they last (for simulator purposes);
Titleist pro V1 & Pro V1x
Taylormade TP5 & TP5x
Callaway Chrome soft & Chrome Soft X
Srixon Z-Star & Z-Star XV
Bridgestone Tour BX and XS
Vice Golf Pro & Pro Plus
Snell MTB and MTB-X

Any others that should be on my list, or others you have found to work well on simulators?

Most consider a premium ball one with at least 3 layers and has a urethane cover.
So there are a number of others not on the list that would fit that bill.

Maybe not "premium" but any ball with a urethane cover will help with spin.
Q-Star Tour is a good example of this. Not on your list but a great ball

Supposedly the 3 piece Costco ball spins really well. I e played it and like it, but I don’t get the same distance on my drives as some of the others listed.
The Cut Blue spins too much for me.

Maybe not "premium" but any ball with a urethane cover will help with spin.
Q-Star Tour is a good example of this. Not on your list but a great ball
Good to know. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Most consider a premium ball one with at least 3 layers and has a urethane cover.
So there are a number of others not on the list that would fit that bill.
Ah ok. That will help with the search. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

For purely backspin, that looks like a solid list. If looking for something that provides good backspin and also may help tighten dispersion, consider the Bridgestone Tour B RX, Titleist AVX and Snell MTB Black.

So recently I upgraded from a Skytrak to a GC2 Launch Monitor and play Jack Nickolas Perfect Golf in the Online Golf Tour. We play scrambles all the time, and I was playing with a guy who has a -12 handicap (mines 13 online), he's good. He always knew how to land the ball, 10 feet past and backspin, before and run up, etc. Also if he'd rather be in the fairway or rough coming up to specific pins and how it would affect spin.
Anyways I buy some AAAAA used balls off ebay, but they are a model from a few years ago. He asks me what my backspin numbers are with my wedge, and they end up being half of what they should be. He suggests upgrading and trying a premium ball. So I went and bought a dozen tp5's, and voila my numbers are where they should be on spin. Actually spun one back to the pin last night. It is actually like night and day in ball control if you have an idea where you are trying to land it. I had no idea premium balls could make such a difference.

Here are a few I'm going to try and see what works the best numbers wise for me, as well as cost, and how long they last (for simulator purposes);
Taylormade TP5 & TP5x
Vice Golf Pro & Pro Plus
Snell MTB and MTB-X

Any others that should be on my list, or others you have found to work well on simulators?
As someone who beats up balls on a sim, I'd consider the Cut Grey. On the less expensive side, durability on par with the other good options I've encountered, and my wedges are over 10k on full swings regularly.

As someone who beats up balls on a sim, I'd consider the Cut Grey. On the less expensive side, durability on par with the other good options I've encountered, and my wedges are over 10k on full swings regularly.
oh nice. I will look into those :)
Never heard of them. Why I created the thread. Thanks!

oh nice. I will look into those :)
There may be options that are better suited to your game but I have enjoyed them. Buying two dozen for the price of one of the other options I used but with marginally the same numbers was the tipping point.

Yea, at least 3 piece and a urethane cover seems to be the factors needed to be considered premium. Also, not all premium golf balls will spin the same either. For me, not much spins more than Srixon Z stars. I seem to be able to absolutely rip those back. If I wanted spin, but not crazy spin, I like the Bridgestone tour B XS.

good to know, I'm willing to try anything, as cost will be a factor for me as well.

Check out the Q star tour. great ball on a budget. There is a new article regarding them.

If you're looking for the max spin from your list in my experience the ProV1X and TP5X will spin the most of all those balls. The ProV1, Srixon Z-XV, TM TP5, and Bridgestone B-XS will be on the next tier. Then Chrome Soft X, Srixon Z and Bridgestone B-X would come next. The next tier would be the Chrome Soft, Titleist AVX, Bridgesotone B-RX and B-RXS. This based on my experience. Your mileage may vary.

If you're looking for the max spin from your list in my experience the ProV1X and TP5X will spin the most of all those balls. The ProV1, Srixon Z-XV, TM TP5, and Bridgestone B-XS will be on the next tier. Then Chrome Soft X, Srixon Z and Bridgestone B-X would come next. The next tier would be the Chrome Soft, Titleist AVX, Bridgesotone B-RX and B-RXS. This based on my experience. Your mileage may vary.

I have always felt the TP5X was lower spin but higher launch. Its success is what prompted Titleist to release the __Prov1x.

Taylormade TP5 & TP5x
Vice Golf Pro & Pro Plus
Snell MTB and MTB-X

I would add RX and RXS but a quite a few others to include as well

I have always felt the TP5X was lower spin but higher launch. Its success is what prompted Titleist to release the __Prov1x.
No the X version of both products is the firmer, higher launching, higher spin offering.

No the X version of both products is the firmer, higher launching, higher spin offering.

The left dash proV is firmer but lower spinning than the standard X though.

The left dash proV is firmer but lower spinning than the standard X though.
That is a special ball that I would not consider in this discussion as you have to go to a golf pro and ask for it if you want it and you will have to pay full price. According to the Titleist rep it is between an AVX and a ProV1 in firmness and it launches higher due to dimple design.

You were right originally. TP5x is the lower spin, higher launch for TM. TP5 spins more.... ProV1x this year spins more than the ProV1. The left dash ProV1x is more similar to the TP5x

Check out the OnCore Elixr. It is a solid premium ball at a good price.

Any opinions on the Top Flite XL, I typically play the premium brand but have a box of these. I'm wondering how much performance difference there really is for a hacker like me?

Not easy balls to find anymore (which totally makes sense given they don't make hard goods anymore) but the Nike RZN Tour Black and Platinum were/are my favorites. Still search for them on eBay from time to time and find decent deals.

Not easy balls to find anymore (which totally makes sense given they don't make hard goods anymore) but the Nike RZN Tour Black and Platinum were/are my favorites. Still search for them on eBay from time to time and find decent deals.
lol, I have a dozen of the RZN tour Blacks. Was planning on holding on to them for 10 years and see what they were worth :p May just try them.

Back