Premium putter upgrade worth it?

Lmart009

Reaction score
Handicap
My most recent ponder is a new putter. I am currently gaming a Nike Method Matter M4-12 that was purchased by my wife as a gift.

I believe I have narrowed my choices down to either a Scotty Cameron Golo or a Toulon Memphis. Each of these putters somewhat resemble my current gamer, but what exactly should I be looking for to get fit into one of the following putters?

golo5_5_specs.jpg

putters-2016-toulon-memphis____4.png
\

If I am going to spend $400 on a putter, then I need to know that I made the right choice. For those of you who have upgraded, do you feel the putter improved your game? If you could do it again, what if anything would you do different in your putter ponder?

The Toulon offers such a great roll and pleasant sound/feel that I think it can really take someones putting to the next level.

It will be different for everyone though and getting the grip size, head weight, lie and loft correct will make a difference with any putter.

I can't speak specifically to the Toulon or Scotty options, but I can tell you 100% that once I picked up my Piretti, my putting experienced a step change improvement. Whether it's because I found a shape and configuration that fits me or because the putter is "premium" or some combination of the two I don't know, but I can assure you my putting became noticeably better once I starting using it.

Gosh, in today's market, I don't even think of Toulon or Scotty as premium. So yes, go get some new putters. I specifically used plural.

"worth" is defined by the individual. so if it's worth it to you, yes i believe it's worth it. but if you're looking for a premium putter to make you a better putter, i don't think it always (or even often) works that way. i think there are definiely merits to fitting, but that can be achieved with less expensive putters as well. all that said, there is something really cool about having a bada$$ putter in your bag. that alone makes it "worth it" to me.

The worth of getting a premium putter is up to the individual. Will they make a bad putter better...May be but maybe not. Would a $200 putter be better for some one than a $400 could be.

Buy what one likes and multiple if possible

I've gone through a ton of putters. When I started out my hoarding venture I was set on getting a Scotty Cameron because I truly believed it would improve my game and for awhile, it did. Like most other clubs though the honeymoon period wore off and after going through several other high end brands I eventually went back to my $90 Odyssey White Hot XG putter and improved.

I do think that high end brands do give you different benefits, even if it is just in your confidence level. As ArmyGolf said the Toulon offers great roll and sound and that may be the key for you. With that said I think the most important thing is going to be finding something you are comfortable looking at and that feels good to you. You may putt better with a $50 club that you are comfortable with vs. a $400 putter. Just test different options out and go with what feels and works best for you.

Nothing like a Scotty!!!!!

I guess my follow up question is not about a specific putter, but about buying any new putter. What is involved in the fitting process to dial in the putter?

I know the local GG has the equipment to do a putter fitting, but I do not believe they carry Toulon clubs (they do carry Scotty Cameron). If I were to buy the Toulon (there is something about the color scheme that I just love), then can I take it to any local outfitter to get it fit to me?

Without a doubt this purchase is for the brand/looks of a new putter, but if I can get a new putter "fit" for me, then by default I should become a better putter.

My most recent ponder is a new putter. I am currently gaming a Nike Method Matter M4-12 that was purchased by my wife as a gift.

I believe I have narrowed my choices down to either a Scotty Cameron Golo or a Toulon Memphis. Each of these putters somewhat resemble my current gamer, but what exactly should I be looking for to get fit into one of the following putters?

golo5_5_specs.jpg

putters-2016-toulon-memphis____4.png
\

If I am going to spend $400 on a putter, then I need to know that I made the right choice. For those of you who have upgraded, do you feel the putter improved your game? If you could do it again, what if anything would you do different in your putter ponder?

Good Gosh that Scotty is gorgeous!

For me putting has always been mental, and I have to like what I'm looking down at. Find that look first then build a putter plan around it. It would be horrible to spend big buckage on a putter that doesn't work for you.

Great question. I am considering an EVNROLL putter, just need to find a place to demo. Someone I work with had a great logic about buying a premium putter.

"You'll spend $400 on a driver with no problem, but not on a putter? You use the putter twice as much."

I haven't bought one yet, but the logic is there.

Never had a Toulon but I've gamed a few Scotty and Bettinardi putters, in my experience there isn't a performance improvement but more of a confidence boost that the equipment is made to a high standard. If you want performance, I say go with a SeeMore.

I love putters, so for me, yes. I want all of them haha.

I guess my follow up question is not about a specific putter, but about buying any new putter. What is involved in the fitting process to dial in the putter?

I know the local GG has the equipment to do a putter fitting, but I do not believe they carry Toulon clubs (they do carry Scotty Cameron). If I were to buy the Toulon (there is something about the color scheme that I just love), then can I take it to any local outfitter to get it fit to me?

Without a doubt this purchase is for the brand/looks of a new putter, but if I can get a new putter "fit" for me, then by default I should become a better putter.

At the GG, they will be able to do a basic fitting which would look at lie and length and it generally isn't very comprehensive. They can "fit" any putter brand but there is always a chance for breakage.

Regarding your original putter request, I am a huge believer in finding the putter that enables you to start the ball on your intended line no matter how long of a stroke you are making. That could happen with a $10 putter or a $1000 putter. You have basically two ways to accomplish this. The first is find a putter that you like and then adjust your stroke until you make it work or you can find a putter that works for how you currently setup.

I am also a firm believer in trying putters to see what works for you from a design perspective and ideally if you can for a feel perspective. I had the opportunity to try a Toulon and several Seemores and just don't like how they feel.

I love my premium putter, but you definitely need to make sure you find one that "fits" you, no sense in buying something super expensive that doesn't work, if you want to game it anyways.

Would the basic fitting at GG apply to a single putter or could I use it as a basis to order online?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Think this is completely up to the individual. I went form an odyssey to a scotty and didn't see any improvement at all. i ended up going back to my Odyssey. Its not about the price tag, the price doesn't make it a "better" putter and you make you putt better. Its about finding a putter that gets your stroke and game. That also you like the looks of.

Maybe? Try before you buy. Don't assume that just because it's similar to what you are playing or "premium" that it's going to do anything for your game.

I played a nice Scotty 2014 Select Fastback for a while but didn't put any better with it than my current $150 Odyssey (and that's counting the $25 grip I put on it).

I'm gonna come out and say no! Is going out and spending $400 on a premium putter worth it? Absolutely not! Is going out and spending $400 on a putter that works for you worth it? Absolutely.
I bought a Scotty Golo when I was drunk. Had always wanted one. It stayed in the bag for 6 weeks and was then sold. My father in law bought a California Del Mar. again, he had always wanted a SC. He gamed it for about 3 months and I've never seen it since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no right or wrong here. It's all about what you want, like, and have confidence in. If that's a 50.00 putter, perfect, if its a 2500.00 putter, perfect. Roll it and love it.

7cf38072ec5e96510c3565fe319de5e5.jpg
7aea8a8b3576906274fb66e347da2b2c.jpg
on a whim and to almost to prove a point to myself, I picked this putter up today...it was $40. I couldn't tell the difference between this and the $350 Edel I was rolling alongside it.

Just curious what is not liked about the Nike putter? I have the same one and love it: fits my straight stroke perfectly. Even picked up another new spare to keep stashed away. It's unfortunate that Nike didn't market these more since they had a nice line of them that can be fit perfectly to the individual (unless that is the OP's issue). So many of the other "big name" putters out there are way overpriced.

I have 2 nice Odyssey putters but tested a Yes Callie 12 mid and loved it. Bought it with shipping used for $60. Its in my bag now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are many factors that make a great putter. IMO the price paid for a putter is not one of them.

Back