Premium Vs Stock Shafts

Premium Driver Shafts

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have the THP limited edition Recoils from the Graphite Challenge. I'm calling those premium.

I have some shafts (KBS C-Taper) that I suppose are considered "custom" upgrades over the regular stock shafts that were available but I don't remember a specific amount for them. Beyond that, it would be a waste of money as I don't think I could feel a difference between a stiff butt end in Fujikura this or a firm midsection in a Paderson this or a medium firm tip in whatever else might be available.

I use premium shafts if they show a marked improvement over the best OEM fitment options included. For an example, when I did a driver fit after already being fit into my driver, I was using an Evenflow Black 6.0 65g shaft. Worked quite well. Not fantastic but good numbers.

During the second fitting, I tried a Ventus Blue with similar specs and I did hit it marginally better. on average 2-3 yards farther with slightly better dispersion and similar overall launch parameters. I definitely felt more confident with the Ventus but I didn't see the benefits outweighing the cost so I didn't swap.

I did end up eventually switching the driver shaft because it had a ery very different feel and results. I hit my new shaft about 100 swings in so fatigue had set in. My swing speed had dropped 3 mph from earlier in the session with my gamer at the time. Even with the reduced SS, my ball speed actually went up, the dispersion tightened even more, and my overall distance increased. smash factor on average went from 1.47 to 1.49. And I was stinking tired!

I ended going back a few days later when rested just to confirm and do a head to head. Within 10 swings I new it was markedly better and upgraded.

So the stock shaft was alright in my last 2 drivers, but the upgrade (not even premium, just free upgrade) was much better for me

I like to go with something a little heavier than many stock driver shafts.
I like to match my fairway wood's shaft.

Back in the day, we'd buy three or four woods in a box and they'd all have the same model shaft.

Now driver shafts are often lighter because the drivers are so damned long.

My driver is only 43½" long so the same shaft as the fairway wood works well.

My one experiment with a premium shaft did not work out so well out on the course. During my driver fitting it was awesome. Real world performance wasn't a good one for me unfortunately.

A lot of OEM's are offering premium shafts with their clubs so do you mean aftermarket or what.?
After Market or Premium not zero upcharge Shafts for your Clubs. Any of your Set. :drinks:

On my driver, YE$. I've come to realize I like a firmer, 60g, driver shaft with low torque. Stock shafts tend to be softer than premium shafts. The more you pay, the lower the torque (and spin) I think normally. That said, i've tried some Graphite Design and T1100-tipped shafts in my FW and hybrids, and HATED them. I'm a lot more handsy with those clubs and the stiff tip took all the feel out of it for me. Off my driver though it's an electric crack and a thing of beauty (when hit well).

After going for a full fit and seeing what a difference the upgraded shaft can make i have zero issue paying for an upgraded shaft.

Well, only if you want to have a one of a kind shaft that has never been made for anyone previously and likely will never be produced again.
Or if you're a lucky sob like me and win a sweet set for Christmas. ;)
20191223_170925.jpg

Back