Preparing for my 12 May driver fitting

JW Smoove

Waffles, always waffles
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
🧇
By trying these combos out at the range Monday or Tuesday, or both. I like the depth of the face on th pxg, the overall forgiveness of the TEE.

I did tip the nv 1/2" of the 4 shafts I'm guessing the nv will be best, but I like the feel of the two CB shafts. Have not hit the riptide non cb so no comment yet.

Will post up on the fitting and the results when it happens.

1620583763571.jpeg
1620586194869.jpeg

Last edited:
Some very different shafts there. Will be interesting to see which you like best!

Agreed. For the fitting unless it's deeply expensive or feels terrible, I'll fi what they say.

But of the 4 shown, I'm biased in favor of the nv. It's been my go-to for years, heck, since it came out.

Range report #1. I apparently do not agree with CB shafts. Both the NV in the 0211 and the Riptide non CB in the EXS220 were noticeably farther and both had tighter dispersion - the CB shafts had a noted fade - not a slice but clearly a fade, and with the Smoke Yellow when I tried to correct it with my hands my dreaded low line drive snap hook returned - not as bad with the Riptide CB but some similarlity.

For this round, the NV (I think) was both farther and more consistent than the non-Riptide - the issue now is what part of this is the head and what part is the shaft.

If I had been hitting either driver when I played last like I did today (albeit very small sample) I likely would not have made a fitting appointment.

So, now I am eager to see what they can/will tell me tomorrow at Club Champion - and how much what they show deviates from what I saw.

More to follow.

Just curious, why are you pre-testing shafts before going into a fitting?

Three reasons.

1. I've never had a fitting like this.
2. I wanted a baseline, so to speak.
3. I wanted to have, at least in my mind, an idea of what they find versus what I know. In other words, if they say either head Is ok, but put me in $300 shaft for 5 yards and no discernable difference in dispersion then I have scratched that itch.

Is there something wrong with me testing shafts I already own in preparation? I mean a reason why I shouldn't?

Well, the primary reason is that you should really be walking in there with one setup and a consistent swing. Quite possibly complicating the process by making your own opinions without data from a professional launch monitor. It's far more important that you bring a confident swing than anything else like a bias towards something you have tested on your own. This is coming from a gear nut as well, keep it simpler!

Another thing, it's good to be price conscious, you don't need a super expensive shaft to perform well. If you're not playing on a + handicap then the need for the most expensive version of a shaft profile is honestly a waste. If you let them know you are price conscious they should give you recommendations that are reasonable. For example, the cheaper Smoke Blue RDX performs quite similarly in a lot of facets to my Pro White 1K and I believe there is an even more expensive Fujikura offering that's in the same vein.

My first thought is that you, from your own gear, need to pick a shaft that gives you the best length dispersion of shots. The fitter will use the collected data from your game as a baseline for his recommendations.

Lastly, if were me, and I had a shaft(s) that I really liked, I'd ask to try it toward the end.

That's the unwritten reason I was at the range today I want my swing to be reasonable and repeatable.

All this, getting the fitting, testing shafts, was due to poor driver play the last few rounds.

I know there's no way to be certain, but I was not in any way favoring one club or one shaft over another. Certainly not knowingly.

I did notice that neither cb was as accurate it far as the non cbs. That was the only clear thing.

Both non cbs were more accurate, with more repeated ball flights. I believe they were both longer too, but that's a tougher call due to the dispersion.

Well, the primary reason is that you should really be walking in there with one setup and a consistent swing. Quite possibly complicating the process by making your own opinions without data from a professional launch monitor. It's far more important that you bring a confident swing than anything else like a bias towards something you have tested on your own. This is coming from a gear nut as well, keep it simpler!

Another thing, it's good to be price conscious, you don't need a super expensive shaft to perform well. If you're not playing on a + handicap then the need for the most expensive version of a shaft profile is honestly a waste. If you let them know you are price conscious they should give you recommendations that are reasonable. For example, the cheaper Smoke Blue RDX performs quite similarly in a lot of facets to my Pro White 1K and I believe there is an even more expensive Fujikura offering that's in the same vein.
So, to clarify a couple things. I hit about 30 balls with the 2 drivers and the 4 shafts. The 2 CB were the ones that came with the clubs. After a few very pleasant rounds with the EXS I was noticing mostly playable but short drives - as if the distance went down a lot. So, on whim I obtained the 0211. Had a so so round with it, seemed like it was dialed in on the back nine. Played again - 2 rounds and it was just wild distance was a bit better, but still wild - mostly again, not slices but strongish fades. So, I ordered the 2 shafts that were noted (the NV and the riptide non-cb). The plan originally was to get 2 tips for the EXS but that did not pan out. So, I had 1 tip for each club. The riptide was the exact length of the EXS with no trimming so it was obvious which shaft would go to each head. I did tip the NV 1/2 inch as it's a lighter shaft than I normally use.

I'm not trying to self fit as much as I am trying to find a reasonable baseline going in. After today (assuming I can do something similar tomorrow), I will tell them I have 2 drivers and that I am happy to start with either one but that I'd like them to put the second one in the mix maybe 1/2 way through or so. Which, for all I know, they may do anyway.

I have spent a lifetime trying to self fit a driver - and gone through a lot of them. That, combined with the sudden changes in distance and wildness were my reasons to not self fit and see where this leads.

I am certainly hopeful they will be able to tell me if you stick with the EXS or the NV in their current heads, then you can expect this, and if you change to club X and shaft Y you can expect something else (quantifiably more distance and quantifiably better dispersion). It will then be up to me as to making the cost benefit analysis but at least I would have the data to make that analysis.

Thanks for your comments they are helpful - and please don't think I am being argumentative - that is the furthest thing from my mind right now - actually I'm pretty excited about the fitting.

My first thought is that you, from your own gear, need to pick a shaft that gives you the best length dispersion of shots. The fitter will use the collected data from your game as a baseline for his recommendations.

Lastly, if were me, and I had a shaft(s) that I really liked, I'd ask to try it toward the end.
I like your thinking - I will start with one of the 2 as presently configured, and ask them to enter the other (or maybe both of them) later in the testing. As things stood from the 15 or so balls hit with each club - maybe 10 with each non - cb shaft, I'd have no problem gaming either - again - unless they blow me away with some other combo. If they can get me 20 yards or some crazy number then yea - I'm all in!

Well that was unsatisfying. What I learned is that I am old, maybe need a lesson - though the fitter suggested my swing was not poor or whatever, or that maybe I was getting tired, oh and clearly I don't have the range of motion that I once did.

So, he had hit my 'gamer' which I explained could easily be either of the drivers noted earlier. He chose the PXG. I hit 6 balls - he removed the 2 worst drives - with that I had playable dispersion and so-so distance - before I share the numbers - I AM OLD, and I HAVE MORE LIMITED RANGE - I am working on the latter - stuck with the former. Anyway, I was getting about 225-230 and again the 4 shots kept were all very playable - 2 slightly left and 2 slightly right. Nothing crazy. Then the adventure began...I hit 2 different loft G425s, one of the Mizuno's (sorry not sure which), the Cobra - felt great, did not go far - but was more accurate than some. I also hit the new Tour Edge, Callaway (not sure which - though it had green paint on the sides/bottom). There may have been another one or two as well. He really had me steered to the Ping though - most shots with it, I hit 2 or 3 Accra's, 2 different Ventus, the GD with all the stripes (one of them anyway - it was blue or dark grey or black, sorry could not tell. Also hit several different Oban shafts. All were regular flex (that's ok). Some were as heavy as 70s and some as light as 50.

In the end he had me in the G425, with Oban Isawa Red - and when we looked at the numbers (including the $150 for the fitting) the total price was about $900.

So here's the thing. I made clear that other than TM (I have mental issues with their drivers), I was game to try anything and I was NOT loyal to either club I brought in (again as previously discussed). If anything I tried to go after a few more with the new demo clubs. In the end though, the PXG was more accurate and longer - I had hit it with the NV shaft. I guess that marriage was meant to be.

I don't understand (or maybe I do) that the results were very similar with all the clubs - no real deviation - accuracy wise I the NV was the winner. Distance wise there were a few that went farther - but often they were a bit wild left. That was one thing - at the range I hit a few balls right, on the montior today, I hit a couple right, but (and I am serious) everything went left, some things went way left - other than the 2 balls that went right with the PXG.

So, moral of the story for me, my swing, my health. and my age...there is no magical club that will make me get 10 more yards or hit it straight more regularly.

I do think I will get more distance and more accuracy (duh) as I play and practice more - and that's part of this deal too. Other than the last month and half I have been basically an idle, very heavy (previous summers), out of shape, extremely rare player.

No where to go but up - but the question of what club, at least for now is answered. I do have 1 regret, for giggles I wish I had asked him to set me up with the 0811 Proto heads - to see if there might be more forgiveness or distance.

Oh, and my angle of attack was always close to 0 - some were negative some were positive - but none were wildly high or low.

And I did hit the RB tour X and with my slow swing speed (about 86 - have I said I'm old), there was no consistently wild spin number - so for anyone curious - the ball does not go nuts (again, slower swing) spin wise.

I think that covers it all for me, for now.

Back