Prescription Glasses during golf? My problem......

David-G

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi, a year ago I had to get glasses for the first time due to degenerative eye site loss due to age and my profession. The ware is even across the eye and I am equally nearsighted and far sighted. So I went with progressive glasses. which took me a while to adjust to depth perception, so I thought.

Recently I started to play golf again seriously and found that most of my iron & wood shots where low left on the toe. For the life of me I could not figure out how to fix it. align ball with heal, boom, I hit it on the toe, try more inside out, toe, etc, etc etc. Last night I decided to try a swing without glasses on, and low and behold I was only a few mm off center :-/ Tried with on and off multiple times and same exact results.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this as well? What was your solution, and if you wear glasses currently, what type are they? I have a feeling the "progressives" or anything magnified might have an issue.

-D

Last edited:
I've got some real bad peepers. I don't wear my corrective glasses while playing, just sunglasses. (Progressive trifocals.) I just ask people where my ball went. In fact, if playing with someone new, I'll tell them when I meet them that I have some bad eyesight, and will probably need their help to find my ball. Also to break the bad news that I will be mostly worthless finding theirs.

I have a bifocal in mine. I tried going with just progressive lenses the first time around and had issues putting and reading greens. Since getting the bifocal added to my second pair I have been fine. Just took a bit of getting used to.

Hi, a year ago I had to get glasses for the first time due to degenerative eye site loss due to age and my profession. The ware is even across the eye and I am equally nearsighted and far sighted. So I went with progressive glasses. which took me a while to adjust to depth perception, so I thought.

Recently I started to play golf again seriously and found that most of my iron & wood shots where low left on the toe. For the life of me I could not figure out how to fix it. align ball with heal, boom, i hit it on the toe, try more inside out, toe, etc, etc etc. Last night I decided to try a swing without glasses on, and low and behold I was only a few mm off center :-/ Tried with on and off multiple times and same exact results.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this as well? What was your solution, and if you ware glasses currently, what type are they? I have a feeling the "progressives" or anything maginifed might have an issue.

-D

Ive worn glasses for about 7 years. When I really started getting back into the swing of things with golf (no pun intended), I would take my glasses off and wear sunglasses. Gave me a HUGE headache. So went back to my glasses. Created some problems for me. Didn’t know what to do.

Finally, my wife had the idea to try prescription sunglasses. I got a pair of Nike ones that fit close to my face and cover well above, below, and sides of my eyes so that all possible angles are “covered” and seen through the lens correctly. Also got them polarized for added help. Hands down the best thing I’ve ever done. I wear them golfing, fishing, mowing the lawn, driving, at ball games, etc. They’ve been a life saver. And these particular ones were only $200 when it was all said and done.

I'd go with corrective sunglasses, but, damn, it'll be $400. THAT'S A NEW DRIVER!!!!

I'd go with corrective sunglasses, but, damn, it'll be $400. THAT'S A NEW DRIVER!!!!

But I have the driver, just can't hit it without the glasses I think.

Ha ha, yep. Worth it though in my opinion. It really sucks if your prescription changes though LOL.

Finally, my wife had the idea to try prescription sunglasses. I got a pair of Nike ones that fit close to my face and cover well above, below, and sides of my eyes so that all possible angles are “covered” and seen through the lens correctly. Also got them polarized for added help. Hands down the best thing I’ve ever done. I wear them golfing, fishing, mowing the lawn, driving, at ball games, etc. They’ve been a life saver. And these particular ones were only $200 when it was all said and done.

The problem I have is I would have to have 2 different pairs, chose one problem over the other ( near or far ) or have bifocals I think.

I play with either Rx sunglasses or my regular glasses and don't have an issue with either. They aren't progressive or anything special, though.

I had issues with my first pair of RX sunglasses due to the style and curvature of the lenses. The ball looked like it was in a different spot than where it was. I'd have to hit the range with a full bucket to get used to the location offset but then I was fine. Different when wearing my regular classes.

Recently I switch sunglasses to Oakley's with a different lense type and that solved a lot of my refraction/offset issues. A lot easier to switch between regulard and sunglasses now on cloudy days or rounds that start sunny and end cloudy.

I'm guessing then that contact lenses are not an option, I am short sighted so play in glasses so I can see where the ball goes

I have an appointment on Tuesday morning to get fitted for contact lenses so I can do away with the glasses

I've only needed prescription glasses for a couple of years, and wearing them for golf wasn't a problem, except like already mentioned by others, I couldn't bring myself to spring for good prescription sunglasses. This year I made the change to multi-focal contacts, and I am completely sold on them. One of the big benefits is that I can wear my good non-prescription sunglasses again, and I'm loving it.

I wear progressive lens and have no problem but, then again, I don't listen to the bullcrap advice of keeping my head down. Chin out of the way of my shoulder turn, eyes looking down the end of my nose. With that address setup I am looking under my glasses. YMMV😎

I'm guessing then that contact lenses are not an option, I am short sighted so play in glasses so I can see where the ball goes

I have an appointment on Tuesday morning to get fitted for contact lenses so I can do away with the glasses

In my case, because of the even ware, I can't use contacts, unless I chose one.

I've only needed prescription glasses for a couple of years, and wearing them for golf wasn't a problem, except like already mentioned by others, I couldn't bring myself to spring for good prescription sunglasses. This year I made the change to multi-focal contacts, and I am completely sold on them. One of the big benefits is that I can wear my good non-prescription sunglasses again, and I'm loving it.

Would Love to wear my sunglasses again! But wife has had contacts for a very long time and I watch her routine, no thank you!

I had a bit of an adjustment when I started wearing mine while playing, but I just hit the driving range and worked on my swing until I was comfortable enough... glad I did because now I can actually see where by ball went!

I got transitions lenses, and am very happy with them for golf.

I had a bit of an adjustment when I started wearing mine while playing, but I just hit the driving range and worked on my swing until I was comfortable enough... glad I did because now I can actually see where by ball went!

I got transitions lenses, and am very happy with them for golf.

I'm thinking it is the progressive lens that might be the issue as they change distances and focal points based on where and what angle I look out of them, making it really hard to get the same exact position each time :-( 1 mm farther up the nose, may make a cm of distance from the previous potion. A little more about what I found https://www.sportrx.com/blog/progressive-lenses-for-golf-sunglasses/

Last edited:
I had Lasik back in the late 1990's and I was over 50 at the time. They say, and I found it true, that Lasik at that age actually increases the need for reading glasses. So for many, many years I could wear no glasses and non-prescription sunglasses and would only use reading glasses when needed. Eventually my prescription needed adjusting and I went to bifocals but got a cheap pair of single vision glasses from Zenni Optical, even prescription sunglasses are cheap from them if you don't go for the "premium" versions (still way cheaper than elsewhere!). I have eventually gone to progressives' but still stick with single vision for golf. I think I tried to hit balls at the range once with my progressives because I forgot to swap out glasses but I've never gone on the course with them.

My normal glasses are progressives. Cannot play golf in them. I have a single vision pair of regular glasses and sunglasses for when I play golf.
It really helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My normal glasses are progressives. Cannot play golf in them. I have a single vision pair of regular glasses and sunglasses for when I play golf.
It really helps.

Are the sunglasses prescription or normal? And when playing you just switch between the 2 pair?

I've worn glasses for about 50 years. I've always worn contacts golfing...until about 3-4 years ago.

My eye's changed so that I needed bifocals. I got the progressives. In day-to-day life, it took some getting used to...moving your head up and down slightly to find the sweet spot of the lens. Now, it's automatic...don't even think about it.

Last year I go the progressive sunglasses...love them. It took getting used to while putting. I always looked at the hole out on the corner of my eye. Never affected hitting the other clubs.

I wear progressives regularly. Too nearsighted to go without. I must admit I seem to see better with my prescription shades, which are just for distance, than wearing my progressives.

Are the sunglasses prescription or normal? And when playing you just switch between the 2 pair?

My sunglasses are prescription (distance only) as are a pair regular glasses. Hard to read the scorecard but only way I can see the ball at address.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Single vision should work better. I can’t golf with my progressive glasses but fine with single vision contacts

I have a bifocal in mine. I tried going with just progressive lenses the first time around and had issues putting and reading greens. Since getting the bifocal added to my second pair I have been fine. Just took a bit of getting used to.

I just switched to progressives too. Reading Greens and putt was my only real issue, and it was quite major. It didn't take long to figure out that standing at the ball, my new perception of the break is 100% wrong. I have to walk way behind the ball (as far as I can get) to get a fair read. then choose a target spot and hit to that no matter what my eyes tell me when I address the ball.

Fortunately, the ball at address for normal shots is not affected. but I still struggle with alignment, and need to focus on the same "small target" to align too instead of what my eyes tell me.

Back