Prescription Glasses during golf? My problem......

I’ve played rounds recently with non RX glasses and my new RX glasses. I haven’t noticed a difference with my irons but I do when putting. I recently purchased a pair of RX sunglasses with a golf specific lens. So far so good.

progressive lens with the transition coating. Solves the sunglasses problem

My vision was horrible and playing in glasses was a pain. I had lasik in the mid 90's. I believe I have been very fortunate. My eyesight is still good enough not to wear glasses for distance or reading. There is one caveat to it though. I actually do eye exercises. A few times a week. Have for a long time. Once you put the glasses on and your eyes get lazy with the help...They continue to get worse.

I've had to wear glasses since the second grade. When I finally had to go to progressives, my game began to suffer. Since I was looking at the ball through the bottom of the lenses, it was all blurry. I took my new scrip and my old frames back to the optometrist and asked if they could make a set of "distance only" lenses and put them in those frames. No problem! I kept those in my bag and played while wearing them.

Equally near and far sighted? Do they put one lens in one eye for near sight and one for far sight?
You might need to swap the lenses to put the other lens over your dominant eye.
Sorry if someone beat me to it. (y)
No glasses yet here, but all my relatives cursed the progressive lenses and just went with multiple sets for different uses.

Hi, a year ago I had to get glasses for the first time due to degenerative eye site loss due to age and my profession. The ware is even across the eye and I am equally nearsighted and far sighted. So I went with progressive glasses. which took me a while to adjust to depth perception, so I thought.

Recently I started to play golf again seriously and found that most of my iron & wood shots where low left on the toe. For the life of me I could not figure out how to fix it. align ball with heal, boom, I hit it on the toe, try more inside out, toe, etc, etc etc. Last night I decided to try a swing without glasses on, and low and behold I was only a few mm off center :-/ Tried with on and off multiple times and same exact results.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this as well? What was your solution, and if you wear glasses currently, what type are they? I have a feeling the "progressives" or anything magnified might have an issue.

-D

I'm 67. I used to be very nearsighted. Now I'm nearsighted (but not as bad) and a little farsighted to the point where I need magnification correction to read. Yeah, that. So I can relate. But.... I cannot play with progressive lenses. I cannot even drive with progressive lenses. I'm the one with three pairs of glasses. Plain single vision distance glasses for watching TV, driving on cloudy days, playing golf on cloudy days. Sunglasses in the same. And computer glasses that are mid-vision lined bifocals with readers on the bottom. It's the way I roll.

Get yourself a pair of plain single vision distance glasses for playing golf. You'll thank me for it later.

And don't let them do the one eye far sighted and one eye near sighted BS. That sucks. They tried that on me without my knowledge and I brought them back when I got to the parking lot. I had a fight with the optometrist. "You wanted single vision." "No I wanted two pairs of glasses, numbskull."

I’m nearsighted and need glasses on the course to see anything past about 100y clearly. I can see the ball clearly at address without them but have no chance of seeing it bounce into the parking lot unless I’m wearing them.

I find that at address I need to keep my chin up, which helps facilitate the shoulder turn, but also results in me looking UNDER my glasses at the ball rather than thru them.

If the near field sight ever goes downhill for me that’ll be a problem.

Equally near and far sighted? Do they put one lens in one eye for near sight and one for far sight?
You might need to swap the lenses to put the other lens over your dominant eye.
Sorry if someone beat me to it. (y)
No glasses yet here, but all my relatives cursed the progressive lenses and just went with multiple sets for different uses.

No :) over time, you eye ( or both ) can ware to near, far or intermediate vision - meaning you are both. Mine wore even across both eyes. Neither are dominate with one or the other.

Bifocals are bad enough but Progressives are the worst. Bad for work and golf. I went back to single vision for general usage and golf. I do without while reading.

I can't play in my progressives. I have a pair of single focal length distance lenses for golf that are in a pair of Oakleys. When I try to hit balls in my progressives because of a bit of head movement the ball gets bigger and smaller which I struggle with.

After research and talking to the 2 big names in golf oriented progressives Zeiss & Shamir, as well as 2 ex tour players and 2 optometrists that ware glasses as well as comments on here. I think the best solution is to get Single Distance - long, non polarized, light purple/lavender color (for under hat) wraparound prescription glasses. I'll find out at my next optometrist apportionment if a bifocal portion can be added to the lowest portion so I can read my Arcos phone app. If not I've seen a few examples of a custom sizable stick on reading plastic strip that can be placed in lower, inside of the glass so I can read the app.

My thoughts are Golf versions:
Oakley Flak 2.0 XL https://www.oakley.com/en-us/prizm/golf
or
Rudy Rydon https://www.rudyprojectna.com/pages/golf

After research and talking to the 2 big names in golf oriented progressives Zeiss & Shamir, as well as 2 ex tour players and 2 optometrists that ware glasses as well as comments on here. I think the best solution is to get Single Distance - long, non polarized, light purple/lavender color (for under hat) wraparound prescription glasses. I'll find out at my next optometrist apportionment if a bifocal portion can be added to the lowest portion so I can read my Arcos phone app. If not I've seen a few examples of a custom sizable stick on reading plastic strip that can be placed in lower, inside of the glass so I can read the app.

or

This is the answer. My daughter is an Optometrist and I wear prescription transition trifocals but for golf, now have just the prescription single distance transition lens. The far away lens for driving etc.

I can't play with my regular trifocal glasses, and had a pair made before with bifocals but that didn't work either. I got the wrong lens, thought I needed the intermediate lens but couldn't see the ball. Get single distance and make sure it's the far away lens. Only downside is tough to read my phone etc while playing:).

I told my doc that I golf and he put the bifocal lower in the lens and it seems to be ok for me.

or

You don't want wrap around glasses. It'll be like looking out a fish bowl. You want to pay the upcharge for the thinnest lens available - this will minimize distortion. Anti-UV coating. Anti-reflective coating on the inside. Polarized is fine. I haven't noticed any difference, but I play on poa annua greens and there is no grain to these greens. I tried the purple/lavender color and while they made the white ball pop, they also let a lot of high energy light through which made the skin around my eyes feel hot. Brown makes the world a happier place. Use a yellow ball.

I usually have a pair of old Ray-Ban frames available for these and they get recycled.

Hi, a year ago I had to get glasses for the first time due to degenerative eye site loss due to age and my profession. The ware is even across the eye and I am equally nearsighted and far sighted. So I went with progressive glasses. which took me a while to adjust to depth perception, so I thought.

Recently I started to play golf again seriously and found that most of my iron & wood shots where low left on the toe. For the life of me I could not figure out how to fix it. align ball with heal, boom, I hit it on the toe, try more inside out, toe, etc, etc etc. Last night I decided to try a swing without glasses on, and low and behold I was only a few mm off center :-/ Tried with on and off multiple times and same exact results.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this as well? What was your solution, and if you wear glasses currently, what type are they? I have a feeling the "progressives" or anything magnified might have an issue.

-D
I quit the game 3 times because of vision.

Get rid of the progressives lenses for the course.

I inadvertently attended my first golf lesson wearing my prescription progressive tri-focal lenses. TBH, it never even occurred to me until, during practice, my instructor asked me if they were bifocals. They didn't give me any trouble. (N.B.: I have not tried putting with them.) Luckily: It just so-happens that where I look through them at the ball is the zone that's neutral.

Thing is: They're not average lenses or frames. My prescription changes very slowly and I take care of my stuff, so I went top-drawer in all respects. They're customized Digital HDVI Transitions lenses with anti-glare & scratch resistance in a wire frame with the spring temples that wrap around behind your ears so they stay put when your head's down. They get crystal clear in dimmer light and black as night in full sunlight on snow. Never see glare off of anything, and they remain scratch-free after... five years? (Knock on wood.)

I inadvertently attended my first golf lesson wearing my prescription progressive tri-focal lenses. TBH, it never even occurred to me until, during practice, my instructor asked me if they were bifocals. They didn't give me any trouble. (N.B.: I have not tried putting with them.) Luckily: It just so-happens that where I look through them at the ball is the zone that's neutral.

Thing is: They're not average lenses or frames. My prescription changes very slowly and I take care of my stuff, so I went top-drawer in all respects. They're customized Digital HDVI Transitions lenses with anti-glare & scratch resistance in a wire frame with the spring temples that wrap around behind your ears so they stay put when your head's down. They get crystal clear in dimmer light and black as night in full sunlight on snow. Never see glare off of anything, and they remain scratch-free after... five years? (Knock on wood.)

I've got the similar but without transition, just on mine the ball is on the transition location from the intermediate to long distance and throws it off location in my vision :-( As above a few others have experienced similar issues. Great that yours is not an issue!

My golfing glasses are my distance vision only. I get migraines and progressive lenses are guaranteed to deliver one.

Back