Pressure: Can You Handle It??

Lions81

Reaction score
Handicap
Most of us have played in a competitive setting, whether it was a THP Event like the Morgan Cup or The Grandaddy (or any of the others), or a club championship or member guest, or maybe a local tournament tournament or even just a wager with friends. Have you handled it well? Have you been able to play up to your ability level? Or has the moment been a bit too much for you? Have you handled it better over time as you have played in these situations more often? So let's hear it THP, how have you handled the heat? And will you be able to handle it when you get another chance?

Last edited:
I haven't yet competed in golf. TBH: I don't expect to. Not even money bets among friends. I did compete in one form of handgun competition and didn't find the pressure of competition to be any different from when I competed against myself to shoot better.

But I did not handle performing poorly well. In that respect there was a difference between just shooting for practice or the fun of it, and competing. And so, for that reason, I have no intention of ever competing in golf, other than possibly joining a local league--and I'll be doing that, if I do, only because I don't know enough people to golf with as often as I might like.

If I try a league, and don't like it, I'll just learn to like golfing on my own, when I can't find others to golf with me.

I do much better than I used to. More relaxed now. I do still tend to try to hard and that can throw me off.

I've had some bright spots under pressure, and also some not so bright spots. My swing is usually quick, and in some pressure spots, it just gets a bit quicker.

When I first started playing in tournaments, I did not handle it well. Absolutely got nervous and did not play up to my ability. It also made them less enjoyable for me. However, the more I played, the more used to it I got, and started to play better and have more fun. By the time I got involved in THP, I was able to handle them well and play up to my ability level most of the time. I will say I have never felt pressure like I did for the final 9 holes of The Grandaddy for our singles matches, knowing the belt was on the line and within our reach. It was a feeling I thought was years behind me, and kind of threw me for a loop. Was able to settle it down, but I'm definitely glad I had previous experience leading up to it. I really do believe for most people, playing well under pressure is a skill that's developed over time.

Reactions: mig
I am consistently inconsistent. Not discernible difference if there’s a few bucks or bragging rights on the line.

I’ve competed in one thing or another most of my life. I think I actually thrive under the gun. As a kid I was a pitcher and I wanted the ball in the biggest moment. I won some and lost some.

I've had some bright spots under pressure, and also some not so bright spots. My swing is usually quick, and in some pressure spots, it just gets a bit quicker.

Do you think now that you know that is your tendency when under pressure, meaning your swing gets a big quick, that it will help you handle it better next time? You'll know to focus on that, and try to keep it in check?

I do my best to eliminate or reduce any pressure when I’m playing. That said, I feel more pressure on myself in individual rounds or events than I do in partner or team events. It’s not as if my partner or teammates are going to beat me up or are going to be angry if I play poorly or if we lose. As far as worrying about hitting bad shots in front of others, I couldn’t care less. I have been playing golf for 48 years, I have hit thousands of bad shots in my life. What’s one more.

Do you think now that you know that is your tendency when under pressure, meaning your swing gets a big quick, that it will help you handle it better next time? You'll know to focus on that, and try to keep it in check?

I'd like to say yes. But it's also been a while since I've been in that situation.

Doesn’t really affect me at all. Even when playing some type of competitive play I never really think about that just do the same things I always do and try to play my game.

I've never been in a high pressure situation, I do wonder how I would perform if there was pressure to win or try to win. That being said, I find myself getting bothered and feeling pressured when the course get backed up and the group behind pulls up as we are just trying to tee off haha!

Don't think I care any longer. Had a 30 yard chip off the green for birdie to win a hole in a game of Wolf. Canned it. Sometimes, it goes, sometimes not. Either way, I am still outside and playing.

I've never been in a high pressure situation, I do wonder how I would perform if there was pressure to win or try to win. That being said, I find myself getting bothered and feeling pressured when the course get backed up and the group behind pulls up as we are just trying to tee off haha!

Try teeing off first in front of an entire THP event haha. That will get your juices flowing

Pressure has never bothered me. I play to have fun and have not seen much difference in my scoring be it in tournament or just a round with friends. I think that can be about being a bit inconsistent. I have had great rounds and horrible rounds with each. So, it’s just one hole to the next for me and have fun.

However. I am extremely competitive so I also feel like I put pressure on myself during the “fun” rounds as well. That could be a factor of why I play the same as well.

I have competed a lot more in shooting sports than I have in golf, but I find some similarities in how I approach it. When I first started competing I would be keeping a running score in my head and evaluating what I needed to get from that point on to win. That screwed me up. I improved quite a bit when I didn't pay attention to anything except the shot I was on. When I don't worry about anything except making one great shot, it seems to work better for me in the end. If I miss, I don't let that negativity carry over to the next shot.

I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, not my intent, but when it comes to golf I never feel any pressure, in any situation.
I will either make the shot, or I won't.

I always put forth my best golf effort on every shot, that day. Some days are just not as good as others.

Everyone hits bad shots, misses putts, loses skins....etc. They also hit great shots, and putts. That's just the way the game is played.

Golf is just a game. You hit the ball, go find it, then hit it again, while trying to hit the ball the fewest number of times possible, for the number of holes played. That's all there is to it.

I owe my "no pressure" attitude to some very, very, high pressure moments, earlier in my life. Those moments pretty much made me immune to most of my future pressured situations.

I think I'm getting better with pressure in golf.

I'm very used to pressure situations and performing in sport, but golf has been an adjustment. I really need to just focus on enjoying myself and my swing will be there.

I thrive in pressure situations I love the adrenaline it brings in the memories they make when you are successful

I think I'm getting better with pressure in golf.

I'm very used to pressure situations and performing in sport, but golf has been an adjustment. I really need to just focus on enjoying myself and my swing will be there.

Totally agree with you. I think golf pressure is very unique, especially the feeling in the hands etc.

I used to play some local amateur competitive stuff. I played what I considered my first competitive round when I was probably 27 or 28 (I am 54 now.) By that I mean a scratch medal play event on my own ball. If I remember correctly it was a state amateur qualifier. I was nervous as hell. It took me 8-10 events before I started playing close to what I felt I was capable in one of those. I missed qualifying by missing a 2 footer on the second playoff hole in one. The next year I qualified and played well in the State Am making match play. I qualified 2 out of the next 3 years before my kids got old enough that I stopped playing competitive golf.

This year I played in something for the first time since then. I was nervous and shot 81 on a course I shouldn't have been more than 75 or 76.

This was a long winded way to say you need to put yourself in pressure situations to get comfortable handling them. The more you do it the better you get at it. I am planning to play more events this year and would like to take a run at some state senior stuff next year when I turn 55. I know my game needs to get better I am not nearly as good as I used to be but I enjoy the pressure.

The most pressure I’ve ever felt was the one hole generals playoff that JDax and I played against one another. Both teams looking on. @JB with commentary and Instagram live going. It was a lot.

That said, I’ve had moments where I handle it well and others where I’ve fallen short.

I like a little pressure to make things more exciting. I don't always play better under pressure, but have had a few moments over the last couple years where I played well at a scramble, member-guest, or even a THP event. The memories from playing well when it counts are the best.

I've been a mixed bag. In match play events I have a pretty good record. The highlight is probably my Grandaddy match against Jeff Neubarth where I was down early, came back and had a back and forth battle the whole time until I closed it out on I believe our 17th hole.

There have been times though where I've crumbled a bit when I shouldn't have. It's been a learning experience and I think I've become better for our it so hopefully it doesn't happen again.

I grew up loving pressure. I always wanted the ball in my hands when it mattered most, and that's when I always seemed at my best.

BUT, with golf, that has really never been the case. I thrive on confidence, but its hard for me to fake, and I just don't have enough confidence in my game yet to withstand pressure. Nerves have definitely gotten to me at both THP events--the 2018 Ship and the 2019 Grandaddy--especially off the first tee. Four years ago, I blew a big lead in my annual tournament with my high school buddies. I do believe I improved on this issue in 2020, though. My game improved, as I added distance and dropped my handicap 5-6 strokes. And in my tournament, I was tied for the lead through 36 holes, gained a big lead through the next 9, and closed it out for my first W on the last 9. I'm a work in progress, but as I continue to improve, my confidence will continue to grow, and that too will lead to much better golf, including under pressure.

Back