Pretty proud of my son/gratuitous bragging

syndicate559

Sweet Trajectory
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 12.6
My son has really enjoyed golf since being introduced to it a little less than 2 years ago. Most of his experience has been through the First Tee and a 9-hole league that one of the coaches runs at a local muni. He's only had 2 lessons with 2 different coaches on his swing and it's been about a year and a half since one of those. He's 13 and in 7th grade, so he spent the last couple of weeks trying out for the golf team at his school. They actually had to cut 7th graders this year, so the kept 10 (he made it onto the roster), but only 6 will be playing in the weekly matches.

Basically, the coaches have them compete for a playing spot each week. They practice at a little 9-hole par 3 course here in town. My boy shot 32 for the 9 holes this week and took the #1 spot for 7th graders. He was only 1 shot off the best 8th grader. Needless to say, he's super proud of himself, but I think I'm the one geeking out the most. I'm just bursting with pride on how well he's doing, how he's taken instruction to heart and made the most of his opportunity to practice on a daily basis. Since I'm not a great player myself, I've shied away from giving him much advice on his swing. But I've spent a lot of time talking about the mental aspect (preaching a lot of what I read in "Fearless Golf") and that's honestly what I believe has helped him improve so quickly. He's got a really nice natural tempo and a pretty good looking swing. I'm going to get him started with a very respected swing coach here locally in the near future. But for now, I couldn't be more proud of how he's playing and carrying himself as a member of the team. I'm off in just a few minutes here to walk along as he plays his first match against another school. Hoping it goes well and he learns a lot from it.

OK, I'm done now :D

No such thing as "gratuitous" bragging when it comes to kids, IMO. Good on him, that's a great score!

That's awesome! Congrats to you both!

These kind of stories really make me wish I had an interest in golf when I was very young. Congrats though, I am sure he will get better and better.

Congrats

get him with a local certified pga pro, one with proven success

thats a great age

Congrats

get him with a local certified pga pro, one with proven success

thats a great age

that's the plan. He's going to be starting with the same swing coach that has been working with Michael Weaver (currently playing at Cal), who played in the Masters and U.S. Open last year. He still works with her and brings her out to big tournaments and she's got a lot of experience with juniors.

I'd be bragging too! I know you are so excited and proud.

Congrats!

Great story and I'm sure many more to come!

I love to see the promotion of golf with youngsters. They are the next generation that is going to keep this sport going and it's a must that we introduce our kids to it. My boys five and would rather play golf and do anything else. Great story thanks for sharing and wish him luck

That's awesome!

Good move - my eldest quit for a season because she was tired of my instruction but now has no problem with her coach sharing the very same observations with her. I just go to the lessons and chuckle. Maybe you can help with course management? That is one area that we can discuss without her feeling judged, impatient, whatever and she looks forward to our rounds together.

that's the plan. He's going to be starting with the same swing coach that has been working with Michael Weaver (currently playing at Cal), who played in the Masters and U.S. Open last year. He still works with her and brings her out to big tournaments and she's got a lot of experience with juniors.

Just had a boy myself and cant for moments like this, Congrats!

That's awesome to hear and a big congrats to him!

I love it. Well done!

That's real cool. Congrats to him

Be proud! Congrats :)

Congrats! That's fantastic.

Very cool, keep us updated on how he does.

I love it, A parent taking interest in his kids and their passion...., Just love him and keep being there for him, That will mean more to him than anything, And congrats to the young man for working hard for what he wants

That is awesome. Definitely deserve to be proud!

Back