Price gouging / hikes on home training stuff?

Chasing72

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Apologies if this is the wrong specifc subforum, wasn't sure where else to post it.

Has anyone else noticed this since all the stay home stuff has kicked off?

Example: I had been meaning to get a puttout trainer for ages, they hover around $30CDN, a few weeks ago I put one in my basket to add to a bigger order on Amazon, went back yesterday to add more things and place an order and the puttout has quadrupled in price to over $120.

I was then going to try the US site and just pay shipping and now they have a note saying due to current goings on, reduced options available (none).

So then I try ebay, and even there, they are going for $50-60 plus shipping.

Is anyone else spotting this trend?

Yes, I know I should / could have ordered sooner, but I'm just wondering if this is a general trend that other people have noticed?

Yes. I’ve also noticed extended shipping times. I’ve been ordering some home workout stuff. Many of them are back ordered or all out unavailable.

My guess is they are either out of stock or very short of supply. It doesn't necessarily explain a higher price on their website but it would on the secondary marker.

Wow that is some markup! Third party sellers on Amazon? Or shipped and sold from Amazon?

Yes. I’ve also noticed extended shipping times. I’ve been ordering some home workout stuff. Many of them are back ordered or all out unavailable.
Extended shipping I can understand as there are now maybe some extra steps and also just getting the stuff in the first place.

My guess is they are either out of stock or very short of supply. It doesn't necessarily explain a higher price on their website but it would on the secondary marker.
Out of stock in one colour but showing stock of 4 or 5 other options. 3rd party seller on Amazon.
Wow that is some markup! Third party sellers on Amazon? Or shipped and sold from Amazon?

3rd party seller on Amazon, Amazon don't seem to sell them direct, there is no history at all for them on 3 camels.
Again, I can understand a bit of a rise, but quadrupling really seems to be taking the piss quite frankly.

Herschel Walker got buff doing only push ups and sit ups, just sayin.

its ridiculous to price gouge people when they know their home for workout stuff.. wow, i mean really..

That is a ridiculous hike and no chance I would pay it. Really in poor taste for people to take advantage of times like these with insane price hikes.

Again, I can understand a bit of a rise, but quadrupling really seems to be taking the piss quite frankly.
Agreed, that’s too much.

I looked for a practice net and mat and gave up. Seems they are all sold out.

Apologies if this is the wrong specifc subforum, wasn't sure where else to post it.

Has anyone else noticed this since all the stay home stuff has kicked off?

Example: I had been meaning to get a puttout trainer for ages, they hover around $30CDN, a few weeks ago I put one in my basket to add to a bigger order on Amazon, went back yesterday to add more things and place an order and the puttout has quadrupled in price to over $120.

I was then going to try the US site and just pay shipping and now they have a note saying due to current goings on, reduced options available (none).

So then I try ebay, and even there, they are going for $50-60 plus shipping.

Is anyone else spotting this trend?

Yes, I know I should / could have ordered sooner, but I'm just wondering if this is a general trend that other people have noticed?
yikes, I'm sorry to hear that. I must have got lucky then because I put an order in about a week ago and got it for the $30 price tag. That's pretty absurd.

Herschel Walker got buff doing only push ups and sit ups, just sayin.
Have to be honest, I had to google to see who he was. But yes, home workouts are currently the only thing possible right now, in fact I'll be starting today!>

its ridiculous to price gouge people when they know their home for workout stuff.. wow, i mean really..
Indeed, a little price rise and maybe some shipping costs, but not that much

That is a ridiculous hike and no chance I would pay it. Really in poor taste for people to take advantage of times like these with insane price hikes.
Definitely not paying it! Someone on Reddit (I asked the same Q over there) posted a link to a Canadian company selling them for $33+ $10 shipping so I have just ordered from them.

Seems to be the way, I even tried golf town website and their site has next to nothing on it right now. Seems we're all buying home practice stuff.

yikes, I'm sorry to hear that. I must have got lucky then because I put an order in about a week ago and got it for the $30 price tag. That's pretty absurd.
haha, all good, I hope yours turns up soon and you make plenty of perfect putts! In the meantime, I'll keep playing the game on my ipad until the one I just got told about turns up. (y)

Extended shipping I can understand as there are now maybe some extra steps and also just getting the stuff in the first place.

Out of stock in one colour but showing stock of 4 or 5 other options. 3rd party seller on Amazon.

3rd party seller on Amazon, Amazon don't seem to sell them direct, there is no history at all for them on 3 camels.
My comment was more in general not on that one particular item.

I ordered a 5 Star Gorilla Perfect ReACTION Mat on the 4th and got a shipping confirmation email today stating it should arrive here on the 8th. I didn't pay for expedited shipping or anything. In fact shipping was free and mat was 10% off. Still not cheap though. $300 for a 5 x 5. https://5stargolfmats.com/5-star-gorilla-perfect-reaction-golf-mats-5x5/
No confirmation yet on the netting I ordered from a different web site though:(

This is work related, but because of COVID19 I have seen couriers charge up to 1500 Euros to ship a package the size of a loaf of bread, weighing less than 3 lbs across London..... They claim that its due to very high demand and timing required..... Timing required is within 7 days of package pickup that it be delivered to recipient .... This shipment process has been mandated by British govt. so the particular company that has this exclusive right to ship is taking advantage..... at least to me.

Yes it seems many at home items have gone up significantly in price

I'm pretty sure that I looked at the putt out on amazon just last week after reading the "corona challenge" post and it was about $30 CDN as you indicated. I looked today and as you indicated it has gone to over $120.

It almost makes suspect an error in an algorithm; I've had other items in my basket for months that have only appreciated a buck or two " that time period.

I just looked up the PuttOut Pressure Trainer on Amazon (U.S.), saw it listed for $29.99 with free shipping from four different sellers. A couple other sellers have it listed at $32.69 and $34.95, with one at $49.38. There are also a couple of obvious knock-offs listed for $21.99 and $19.99.

I just looked up the PuttOut Pressure Trainer on Amazon (U.S.), saw it listed for $29.99 with free shipping from four different sellers. A couple other sellers have it listed at $32.69 and $34.95, with one at $49.38. There are also a couple of obvious knock-offs listed for $21.99 and $19.99.
The problem with that is. when I select my Canadian address it immediately says
"Due to increased demand, we temporarily have reduced product selection available for delivery to your region. We are working to improve selection availability as soon as possible."

As soon as I put it back to my US PO box it's available again. Only issue is, we can no longer cross the border. Found it on Catalyst Golf for $33.99 CDN + shipping so I ordered from them.

The problem with that is. when I select my Canadian address it immediately says
"Due to increased demand, we temporarily have reduced product selection available for delivery to your region. We are working to improve selection availability as soon as possible."

As soon as I put it back to my US PO box it's available again. Only issue is, we can no longer cross the border. Found it on Catalyst Golf for $33.99 CDN + shipping so I ordered from them.
Catalyst is pretty much the main Canadian pusher of Puttout and Raflewski stuff

Catalyst is pretty much the main Canadian pusher of Puttout and Raflewski stuff
For some reason I had never heard of them until today, but then looking at their site, there is not a huge amount of different product on the site so that may be why.

Skytrak is also sold out until May 1, 2020. Many are buying home equipment to get them through the stay home order!

For some reason I had never heard of them until today, but then looking at their site, there is not a huge amount of different product on the site so that may be why.
I got my Puttout from Titan Golf inside Birdies & Buckets (King George & Colebrook)

Quadrupling in price? Not a single chance I would even entertain that, is outragous.

No gouging at Golf Galaxy today. 25% off some awesome training aids!

Back