Pro Decision’s that didn’t pan out.

Golfers Anonymous

Just Decent
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I’m curious if anyone can think of equipment changes that pros have made that haven’t panned out like they had hoped?
The ones that come to mind are Bubba’s previous ball change, and Ricky’s current ball change.

There are a million. The one that comes immediately to mind is Rose / Honma.

Bubba Watson switching golf balls

No idea why I thought of this one... Furyk and those Tour Ace Golf Balls. I think those held him back a bit. OK ball, but not great??
I can't really think of any switch where someone went to "lights out" after the switch either, though. :unsure:
Wonder how many times a guy has an injury and we don't know it and we start blaming the clubs for them? :ROFLMAO:

tiger using an ardmore mallet
This one is interesting, because when he switched he was not putting great and still continues to putt poorly.

I really hope this swing change Rickie is doing doesn't come back and bite him.

I agree with Fowler's change to Taylormade balls doesn't seem to be working out as hoped

On the Seemore podcast Payne Stewarts caddy tells about how they changed from Wilson to Spalding in 94, they went from forged blades to cast cavity back GI style irons and a wound ball to a Top-Flite!
He says it took them years to learn how to play that equipment only for the change to another brand and a Titleist ball being almost an instantaneous improvement back to form.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

On the Seemore podcast Payne Stewarts caddy tells about how they changed from Wilson to Spalding in 94, they went from forged blades to cast cavity back GI style irons and a wound ball to a Top-Flite!
He says it took them years to learn how to play that equipment only for the change to another brand and a Titleist ball being almost an instantaneous improvement back to form.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

For some reason, I was under the impression that Payne had also tried Ping irons as well, without success?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Padraig Harrington has discussed how the wedge groove rule negatively impacted him after all his success around 2008.

Keegan having to switch from a belly putter.

Seems like none of the pros who switched to PXG have ever really played great post-change.

This thread can't exist without talking about DJ's switch to the Truss putter, can it? :LOL:

I can't really think of any switch where someone went to "lights out" after the switch either, though.
Didn't Tiger switch balls shortly before the 2000 US Open? That might qualify as "lights out".

Since I’ve been following golf I think the worst example is Corey Pavin ditching Cleveland VAS clubs for PRGR. Maybe the power game passed him by as well but that change seemed to have sent him on a spiral I still don’t think he’s recovered from.

This thread can't exist without talking about DJ's switch to the Truss putter, can it? :LOL:

I mean he did win one tournament with it and then won the fedex cup without it.

Didn't Tiger switch balls shortly before the 2000 US Open? That might qualify as "lights out".
Perhaps? I don't recall, so I guess it didn't make a huge impression, but his play did.
Like when he stated using a mallet, I noticed.

Perhaps? I don't recall, so I guess it didn't make a huge impression, but his play did.
Like when he stated using a mallet, I noticed.
I'd say that it most definitely made a huge impression.

Editor's Note: Twenty years ago, Tiger Woods put a Nike Tour Accuracy golf ball in play at the Deutsche-Bank-SAP Open in Germany, igniting a chain of events that caused a paradigm shift in the golf-ball industry in a little more than five months time. The below article is re-printed from the May 31, 2010 issue of Golf World that commemorated one of the seminal moments in the game in regards to equipment.

From: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-tiger-woods-sparked-a-dramatic-shift-in-the-golf-ball-business

Back