Pro Golfers To get 100,000 if tested positive for COVID-19

@Canadan
off course topic?
Good question.

We've tried to steer away from the Rona talk since everyone has it everywhere else they look - trying to keep Off Course as a safe haven to get away from it all.

That said, if it's something people want, we can surely talk about it.

Not a fan. First off they are "independent contractors"so paying someone for work missed doesn't make sense to me. It is not like they are working for XYZ corporation and get sick leave or worker's comp. Secondly what happens to a player who contracts a different disease or breaks a leg-they get nothing?

The tour pays players who are out on medical leave. They have to file an application and get approved by the tour. Once approved they get a monthly payment for the length of the leave..

Despite being independent contractors the tour is a player run organization. There are 4 players on the board along side the independent board members and the representative of the PGA of America.

The tour pays players who are out on medical leave.
How does that work and is this something new? If a player tears his ACL and is out for 9 months how much does he get paid or breaks a finger and is out for a month? Also Anthony Kim got a big insurance settlement but that was done privately and not through the tour I believe.

How does that work and is this something new? If a player tears his ACL and is out for 9 months how much does he get paid or breaks a finger and is out for a month? Also Anthony Kim got a big insurance settlement but that was done privately and not through the tour I believe.
Here is an old article I found https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2010/08/02/pga-tour-medical-extensions-used-or-abused/ that explains it better than I.

Anthony Kim took out an insurance policy that if he had a career ending injury it would pay him x amount. From what was reported Anthony meet they criteria laid out in the insurance policy. Cashed out his policy and left the tour life behind. If you google athletes or celebs insurance body parts. There are all kinds of articles on who has insured what body part and for how much.

What/whose testing protocols are they following for workplace safety? Are they trying to say that the same testing frequency is being done by other employers or labor organizations? I doubt it.

I would think the most expedient thing might be a waiver stating tour isn't responsible if ya contract or take the covid home. (Assumed they have already.)
Most insurances are paying 100% for all things Covid. They're all insured/covered with their families via the Players union. So they can get tested.

Could we see Covid positive/non-symptomatic players grouped together and negatives grouped together?
It all makes the head spin. They can ALL make it up as they go, which is why this is such a dangerous time right now aside from the virus itself.

So essentially the Tour is telling players come play. Miss the cut you get nothing. Get COVID-we'll pay you $100k.

What/whose testing protocols are they following for workplace safety? Are they trying to say that the same testing frequency is being done by other employers or labor organizations? I doubt it.

I would think the most expedient thing might be a waiver stating tour isn't responsible if ya contract or take the covid home. (Assumed they have already.)
Most insurances are paying 100% for all things Covid. They're all insured/covered with their families via the Players union. So they can get tested.

Could we see Covid positive/non-symptomatic players grouped together and negatives grouped together?
It all makes the head spin. They can ALL make it up as they go, which is why this is such a dangerous time right now aside from the virus itself.
wut

Good question.

We've tried to steer away from the Rona talk since everyone has it everywhere else they look - trying to keep Off Course as a safe haven to get away from it all.

That said, if it's something people want, we can surely talk about it.
Golf is a sanctuary. Please don't mess it up. Plenty of other topics to discuss on your awesome podcast, but that's just my opinion.

Not a fan. First off they are "independent contractors"so paying someone for work missed doesn't make sense to me. It is not like they are working for XYZ corporation and get sick leave or worker's comp. Secondly what happens to a player who contracts a different disease or breaks a leg-they get nothing?

I agree. If you want a slice of the pie, show up and play! I see other players who have been injured have to jump through hoops in order to fight their way back to the Tour! Show me the difference!
[/QUOTE

If you don't miss a cut 100K is a little light. It seems reasonable to me. I would probably like the caddy to get a bit more but 10K is 10% of what the player gets which matches a win.

Huh? I read the golf results in the paper every Monday. For those near the bottom of the list, your payday might be around 13K! Not bad for a week's work, but far short of 100K! You gotta get well above that!

I just looked it up and you are correct T11 last week paid $111K and last place paid $15K. That said I assume it is an incentive for players to come put themselves at risk. In other team sports if a player gets Covid at a team sponsored activity they get full salary. For me the $100K doesn't seem unreasonable.

Caddies to also get 10,000 if they test positive.
what are your thoughts?
Do they have to return it for false positives? ;) I think it’s the same as me getting paid from my job if I’m sick. The PGA is doing a great job in my opinion. While most pro sports are busy bickering we get to watch live golf.

I just looked it up and you are correct T11 last week paid $111K and last place paid $15K. That said I assume it is an incentive for players to come put themselves at risk. In other team sports if a player gets Covid at a team sponsored activity they get full salary. For me the $100K doesn't seem unreasonable.
Why wouldn’t other team sports players get full salary? Aren’t they under lucrative contracts?

Do they have to return it for false positives? ;) I think it’s the same as me getting paid from my job if I’m sick. The PGA is doing a great job in my opinion. While most pro sports are busy bickering we get to watch live golf.
The only thing that bothers me is that tour players put so much emphasis on the fact that they are “Independent Contractors”. How many Independent contractors do you think are getting paid by construction projects in this country? My guess would not be too many.

The only thing that bothers me is that tour players put so much emphasis on the fact that they are “Independent Contractors”. How many Independent contractors do you think are getting paid by construction projects in this country? My guess would not be too many.
The company i work for has paid all independent contractors through out the shut downs. Now I understand that’s not the norm but it comes back to how much money they have. I’m guessing the PGA has plenty.

Why wouldn’t other team sports players get full salary? Aren’t they under lucrative contracts?

My point was that other athletes would get paid their salaries if they got the Covid.

My point was that other athletes would get paid their salaries if they got the Covid.

Heck, the NBA players don't even have to show up in Orlando and they will get paid!

Just heard today that the tennis players who had qualified for Wimbledon will split the prize pool equally. About 31K+ apiece.

Heck, the NBA players don't even have to show up in Orlando and they will get paid!
The largest corporations will at least put on a good PR show that their employees are at least getting some hours/pay and follow a similar path with paying people NOT to come to work. Thing is, their sub-living-wage employees can't really afford that. But they get the Federal funny money to backfill the $$$.
Small to medium businesses can only hold on so much longer. Big corps wait it out. Control everything. Corporate fascism. Ever-shrinking circle.

The largest corporations will at least put on a good PR show that their employees are at least getting some hours/pay and follow a similar path with paying people NOT to come to work. Thing is, their sub-living-wage employees can't really afford that. But they get the Federal funny money to backfill the $$$.
Small to medium businesses can only hold on so much longer. Big corps wait it out. Control everything. Corporate fascism. Ever-shrinking circle.
We are asking one more time to please stop bringing politics into each thread. We have been lax, but it has continued over and over and it’s a fairly simple rule that we ask THPers to abide by

Back